Author Topic: '90s wedding fashions  (Read 9672 times)

Just Lori

• USA
'90s wedding fashions
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
Today is our 15th anniversary.  Oh, how I loved my off-the-shoulder dress and my colorful cascading bouquet.  (And yes, I loved my husband even more than the dress and flowers.)

Now I have Orleans "You're Still the One" in my head.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: '90s wedding fashions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »
Awesome! Happy Anniversary!

I wish I had a picture of my 1990 wedding scanned; it's soooo dated. If you can imagine a very 1990s version of Kate Middleton's dress, but in ivory. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Nora

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
Love the flowers!  ;D

I found these on the interwebz:

Heidi Klum looking...odd:

And:

Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

faithlessone

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
Lori, my aunt and uncle got married in 1991, and my aunt's dress looked a lot like yours. The sleeves were a bit poofier though. In the pics, she looks like she's got giant marshmallows attached to her upper arms!

Congratulations on your anniversary!!! ;D

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Many happy returns of the day! :-*

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
OP, your dress looks more classic than most dresses from the 90s.  :)  I think you chose well and you look gorgeous!!!

I might be a bit biased though.  I LOVE off the shoulder styles.  Then and now.  I think they are timeless.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:38:12 AM »
Love the flowers!  ;D

My aunt's wedding was in the late 80s, and her dress looked a LOT like that one.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
Love the flowers!  ;D

My aunt's wedding was in the late 80s, and her dress looked a LOT like that one.

Those sleeves look bigger than her head!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Peggy Gus

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
I got married in 1998 and I had the exact same bouquet. The thing is, I wanted the bouquet where they just had long stemmed flowers with a ribbon wrapped around the stems, but the florist told me they don't hold up and that she wouldn't be able to do it. In hind site, I should have just went to someone who would, but I took her word on it and she made me the giant bouquet.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
I was married in 1998, but I made my dress.  I figured I'd never find anything in white for a plus-sized 39-yo bride on the rack, and if I did find it I'd never be able to afford it.  I also made the veil and the bouquet, and if I ever have it to do over again (not likely) I will absolutely not try to do it all myself because it nearly drove me over the edge.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=43976.0 for a picture.

P.S. Mr. Sirius doesn't look like this now.  He was in the military when this picture was taken.  Since his retirement he's grown a beard and started wearing glasses, but to me he's still the sexiest man walking.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:23:51 PM »
A lot of dresses from the 80s and 90s were poofy mcpoofersons. I was really pleased by the Vera Wang revolution - finally, one could find dresses without muttonsleeves! Where on earth did you buy your dress, OP? It doesn't look a bit like that.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
Love the flowers!  ;D

My cousin got married in the early 90s, and her dress looked a LOT like that one too.
The status is not quo!

Petticoats

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
In the early '90s I was planning my wedding (which didn't happen...probably for the best) and was planning on making my own gown: it was to have poofy off-the-shoulder sleeves and a poofy skirt. I was all about the poofy. I was going to have my attendants wear blue-and-white floral cotton dresses, very Laura Ashley. I still think it would have been lovely... but it probably would have looked very dated from today's vantage point. :)

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
A lot of dresses from the 80s and 90s were poofy mcpoofersons. I was really pleased by the Vera Wang revolution - finally, one could find dresses without muttonsleeves! Where on earth did you buy your dress, OP? It doesn't look a bit like that.

I'm not the OP, but I went to prom and other school dances in the early 90s and you are so right that most dresses had big poof sleeves.  However there were a few dresses like the OPs out there.  They were hard to find and then they were generally thought of as being "old fashioned" compared to the 80s and 90s dresses.  I ended up with a prom dress in a nearly identical style to the OPs wedding dress but with a pastel floral print and probably a simpler top.  It was THE ONLY dress I found that didn't feature puff sleeves or a tight tube top with a fluffy bottom. 

yokozbornak

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
I love your dress and think it's aged well.  Now that picture of Heidi Klum.... ???