Author Topic: '90s wedding fashions  (Read 10439 times)

The Wild One, Forever

Re: '90s wedding fashions
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
I was in a friend's wedding in 1992, and the bridesmaids dress we wore looked almost identical to the ones shown in Nora's post, third picture down.  However, they were a bright green.    ;D ( The color actually worked for me, though, and we had a lovely time.)  The bride had found her dress,( which was simple, plain lines, figure-flattering,) at a deep discount from a chain store warehouse.  She looked absolutely gorgeous.  Sadly, the marrige didn't last very long.    ???

That might be one of the pics I post once I hook up my new scanner.    :D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »

I've misplaced all my wedding photos  :-[  When Lapis and I married (20 years ago in March!) my dress was very similar.  Imagine the above dress in white cotton eyelet, with those sleeves ending at the elbow.  My bridesmaids' dresses were similar, but tea length with 3/4 length, slimmer sleeves, in forest green cotton.  I was adamant that they be re-wearable.  My hair was in ringlets (not the soft, pretty fairytale kind - think old fashioned telephone cords ...  a hairdresser friend did it as a gift, but used the wrong rollers and setting agent for my hair - she'd never done my hair before) and I carried calla lilies. 

Eighties fabulous, even though the big day was in '91!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
It's not fair to criticise Heidi Klum's picture though - they had a fancy dress ("costume party") vow renewal which that picture is taken from.  It's intentionally bad.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/192/1922398/36_2009/0f46f1749ec224c7_47f20b138bbd66b7_090513-heidi-main.jpg

Sorry cannot get picture to embed.

yokozbornak

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
It's not fair to criticise Heidi Klum's picture though - they had a fancy dress ("costume party") vow renewal which that picture is taken from.  It's intentionally bad.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/192/1922398/36_2009/0f46f1749ec224c7_47f20b138bbd66b7_090513-heidi-main.jpg

That's a relief! ;D

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »

That's a relief! ;D
Wait, does Seal have a mullet?

Awesome!
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »
A lot of dresses from the 80s and 90s were poofy mcpoofersons. I was really pleased by the Vera Wang revolution - finally, one could find dresses without muttonsleeves! Where on earth did you buy your dress, OP? It doesn't look a bit like that.

OP here - I was married in 1996, and I think dress fashions were moving away from the huge sleeves and poofiness.  Maybe we were transitioning from the Princess Di dress to the strapless fashions.  The dress was an Alfred Angelo, if I recall correctly.

My bridesmaids were in a peachy/pink tone, affirming that yes, we were in the '90s.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
Rachel from Friends:

The status is not quo!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »
I do enjoy vintage looks and seeing styles that are current with the time they were worn.

Be careful what you laugh at - it really is true that fashions come around again.

WasabiWithYou

• You have to give in to the champagne sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
My aunt got married in 1996 and I was a junior bridesmaid. She had one of those dresses with the great big puffy mutton sleeves, only they were kind of off-the-shoulder. The shirt and train were enormous, too. If I look around enough I can probably find a photo. Also, our BM dresses were this incredibly hideous orchid-meets-magenta color in -- wait for it -- CREPE. The actual design of the BM dresses wasn't terribly hideous (floor length straight skirt with cap sleeves and vaguely sweetheart neckline), but that color... hoo boy! There are several candid photos of me from that wedding being a typical 13-year-old poutfest in all my brooding, can't-believe-you-guys-made-me-wear-this-dress-this-is-SO-LAME glory.  ::)

Aunt and uncle are still going strong, so that's good... bad fashion be danged. :)

Nora

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »

That's a relief! ;D
Wait, does Seal have a mullet?

Awesome!

That makes so much more sense!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
Rachel from Friends:

The dress is not so bad, but I always thought that style of headpiece was tacky, even when they were popular in the 80's/90's.  And even so, at least Rachel's was not a mile high  :P

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »
OP here - I was married in 1996, and I think dress fashions were moving away from the huge sleeves and poofiness.  Maybe we were transitioning from the Princess Di dress to the strapless fashions.  The dress was an Alfred Angelo, if I recall correctly.

Yes, in 1996 we were getting into the more formfitting dresses and A-line dresses with smaller straps and generally no sleeves.  Heading right toward sleeveless.  I think sleeveless became really popular in the late 90s.  At least this is what it was like in my area.  I'm such a girly girl sometimes.  I've always paid attention to bridal and prom dress fashions.  In 96 I was disappointed that there were no ball gowns out there for formal dances.  Everything was either an A-line or form fitting.  Wedding dresses were still a bit more 80's poofy though. 

WasabiWithYou

• You have to give in to the champagne sometimes.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »

Yes, in 1996 we were getting into the more formfitting dresses and A-line dresses with smaller straps and generally no sleeves.  Heading right toward sleeveless.  I think sleeveless became really popular in the late 90s.  At least this is what it was like in my area.  I'm such a girly girl sometimes.  I've always paid attention to bridal and prom dress fashions.  In 96 I was disappointed that there were no ball gowns out there for formal dances.  Everything was either an A-line or form fitting.  Wedding dresses were still a bit more 80's poofy though. 

Heh, trust me, my aunt's 1996 wedding dress was definitely one of those frothy, mutton-sleeved concoctions fit for the '80s/early '90s. She was a little bit older than the average bride (she must have been about 35 when she married in 1996) and perhaps had decided on that dress type when she was a bit younger, when those styles really were very popular.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
Heh, trust me, my aunt's 1996 wedding dress was definitely one of those frothy, mutton-sleeved concoctions fit for the '80s/early '90s. She was a little bit older than the average bride (she must have been about 35 when she married in 1996) and perhaps had decided on that dress type when she was a bit younger, when those styles really were very popular.

Yeah, my two aunt's wedding dresses were still big and puffy in the mid 90s but a little more subdued than the 80s.  The prom/dance dresses were not puffy at all anymore in my area by 95/96.  In 93 the sleeves were still there, but in 95 it is like everyone decided all together to get rid of them.  Lots of spaghetti straps that year.

Jules1980

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
In 98 princess prom dresses were coming into style in my area so we had a nice mix of a-lines, form fitting and princess poofy dresses.