Author Topic: '90s wedding fashions  (Read 9915 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: '90s wedding fashions
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »
It's fun to reach a point where I can just start to look back and laugh at fashion trends in my own lifetime. I recall being kindergarten age and wanting to be like those grown up teenage girls with their overalls... ;D

Ha!  I know what you mean, despite the fact that you were born the year I got married.   :D  I remember distinctly my "glamorous" older sister saying, and I quote, "I'll never wear stovepipe jeans!"  (You know, with that melodramatic phrasing perfected by teenage girls.)  This was in the mid-70s, while bell-bottoms were still the height of style.

By the time I reached her age, we were tight-rolling. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
Yeah, fashion is an amusing thing, really, how we all collectively decide something looks really good and then ten to fifteen years or so later decide it looked ridiculous.  And then decide in yet another ten to fifteen years that maybe it didn't look quite so bad after all.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »
I personally think in 10 years we're going to look back at all the strapless gowns of today and scream, that's so 10's!.

I think whenever there is a fashion trend everybody is following it automatically date stamps itself.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
By the time I reached her age, we were tight-rolling. 

Is it bad that I sometimes wish tight-rolling was back in style?  Or at least flipping the sides up!  Regular jeans are always too long on me but petites are too short.

I personally think in 10 years we're going to look back at all the strapless gowns of today and scream, that's so 10's!.

Strapless has been going strong since the late 90s.  It was the height of fashion in the 2000s and continues to be popular in the 10's so it is at least 20 years strong.  I think it will hold through into the future as a fashionable option because it is not as glaring as something like puff sleeves (80s) or those pickup skirts (06-10's). 

lemons

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
I actually found someone selling the same wedding dress I had!

Wedding Dress

I got married in 1998, so I'm not sure why the seller thinks it's a 1980's vintage, becaues I bought mine new at David's Bridal.  You can see the hang tag in one of the pictures. Mine was more of a candlelight/ivory color, it's hard to tell if the one on ebay is the same or if it's actually white.

I was amused to see she's charging $55 for shipping, she apologizes in the description for the charge and explains that the dress is very heavy.  I joked that it weighed 40lbs - it really was a heavy dress and mine was a size 4.

I still love my dress and was glad to get married when I did with the styles the way they were. I wouldn't have wanted a strapless dress, I don't feel comfortable in them.  They look gourgeous on other people, though!

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 01:31:34 AM »
I'm not so sure strapless was popular the entirety of the 90's, I think the late 90's is when they really started to get really popular. Of course there were some earlier, but it wasn't the norm. Trying to find a strapped dress these days is much more difficult than you'd imagine. And when anything becomes that popular it dates itself.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 01:50:21 AM »
I got married in 1997, but I was hardly an example of typical 90s fashions. I wore a short dress. It was above my knee, and it wasn't strictly a wedding dress anyway.

(In the interest of protecting his privacy as he is now my ex-husband, I've blurred the groom's face.)

gollymolly2

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
That's a really beautiful picture, Cathy.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:41 AM »
That's a really beautiful picture, Cathy.

Thank you.

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is mine from 1994....I never meant to have a pink rose wedding...it just sort of evolved...
But it's never too late to correct the faults so many others made ~Midtown

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
Your bridesmaids dresses look an awful lot like the confirmation dress I wore in the early 90s.

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »
We got them right off the rack (on sale!) at Dillard's. :)

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
yay for a sale!  Count me as one who is realizing I really love these older fashions.  I don't care that they are dated.  I think they look beautiful.  I might not wear it these days, but I can really appreciate their charm. 

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
I'm still happy with my wedding and most of the choices.  My only regret is that I didn't have "We've Only Just Begun" played at the reception....and it was a cake and punch reception:)

BTW, I was 19 and my groom was 18...we are still happily married.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
Never been married but I was a bridesmaid in the early 90's - actually twice.  First one was a HS friend.  Hideous satin and lace dusty rose gown.  I have a photo somewhere and will post if i have it uploaded.

Second one, ugh.  it was a Laura Ashley style dress; floral cotton, i think green.  Think poofy skirt with a crinoline, and a sweetheart neckline, and ruching up the sleeves.  Top if off with a HUGE belt over the behind, in the same fabric.  This was my then boyfriend's best friend's wedding.  The bride and I joked about the bow, so mcuh so that i thought we weren't wearing them, until the day of, wen they all had them, and i was like oops mine is home, 5 hours away!  thnkfully no one cared, including the bride!