News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 09:27:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any North Carolina e-hellions--Mooresville/Charlotte area?  (Read 510 times)

smilinmimi

Any North Carolina e-hellions--Mooresville/Charlotte area?
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
We are considering relocating to NC from TX. I was curious about the traffic as I've read some bad things on other sites but the posts were from at least 3 years ago if not more. DH's job would be in Mooresville so we would probably be living in that area. I've read that a couple of years ago west of I77 in Mooresville was traffic-heavy and that Charlotte traffic could double, sometimes triple, commute times. Is this still true?

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
Re: Any North Carolina e-hellions--Mooresville/Charlotte area?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
It depends where he is working in Mooresville and where you live in the area. They are doing construction on Brawley School Road and it's a mess and I think that area is a mess in general. Have you visited at all? Are you going to buy or rent? Is living near the lake or in Mooresville important to you? We lived in Concord (though we were far closer to Huntersville and my husband commuted to Mooresville) and it wasn't a bad commute at all. He took backroads and I think it took him around 20-25 minutes.
The west side of Mooresville is the busier and more traffic area. It has the restaurants, shops, big box stores and the sub-divisions. The east side is the older side and more quiet and less traffic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:05:46 AM by The703 »

smilinmimi

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
His job would be on the east side. We haven't visited yet, everything is just preliminary right now. He asked me to look up info about the area to see if it's a place I would consider living.

I'm not too concerned about living close to the lake. We have 3 young children, one in elementary school, so my main concerns are a quality school system K-12, a family-friendly neighborhood with kids close in age to ours, and a town that has things for them to do--dance, gymnastics, piano, soccer, etc.

Thanks for the info because it will definitely give us a starting point to areas to look in if we decide to move. We would look at buying a house vs renting, but no preference as to new construction or a previously lived-in home.

What I'm having a difficult time with is adjusting how I look at the area on a map since I'm used to looking at Texas maps. When I first looked at the map I thought Charlotte was at least an hour south of Mooresville, but DH said it's more like 30 min. On a Texas map the distance would easily be 60-90 minutes be causes the map scales are so different.  :)

savingc

• Frugalshopping.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »
My dad lives in Sherrills Ford outside of Mooresville. I would love to move back there myself. Lots to do within the area, and cost of living is reasonable.

His house is for sale...on the lake. Need a house????

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
His job would be on the east side. We haven't visited yet, everything is just preliminary right now. He asked me to look up info about the area to see if it's a place I would consider living.

I'm not too concerned about living close to the lake. We have 3 young children, one in elementary school, so my main concerns are a quality school system K-12, a family-friendly neighborhood with kids close in age to ours, and a town that has things for them to do--dance, gymnastics, piano, soccer, etc.

Thanks for the info because it will definitely give us a starting point to areas to look in if we decide to move. We would look at buying a house vs renting, but no preference as to new construction or a previously lived-in home.

What I'm having a difficult time with is adjusting how I look at the area on a map since I'm used to looking at Texas maps. When I first looked at the map I thought Charlotte was at least an hour south of Mooresville, but DH said it's more like 30 min. On a Texas map the distance would easily be 60-90 minutes be causes the map scales are so different.  :)

Charlotte is about 30 minutes from Mooresville off of I77. Mooresville is at Exit 36 and Charlotte (Uptown) is at exits 11 on down. In the summer months it can take at least an hour sometimes more to get to Mooresville from Charlotte do to lake traffic as well as the bridge over I77 (people slow way down to see the boaters right along the bridge) The school systems in Mooresville are good and so are the ones in parts of Cabarrus county. Avoid Mecklenburg county schools at all costs. You would probably want to look west of I77 then as most of the transplants with kids are in the subdivisions. If you look in Cabarrus County look west of I85 and east of 73.

The home prices on the west side will be more as well as property taxes, but not as bad as Meck County. There are a few foreclosures in that area as well. The whole Metro Charlotte area had quite an influx of people from the north (in particular NY) in the early part of the 2000's up to late 2006. Then the economy hit and the home prices plummeted and people lost jobs. Mooresville is a big racing town and for awhile a few of the race teams were closing doors and laying people off.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:03:10 AM by The703 »

smilinmimi

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Thanks everyone! You've given me some good information.