Author Topic: Co-Worker - When you think he likes you back, but just can't be sure! Update p8  (Read 39361 times)

Samgirl2

Re: Co-Worker - When you think he likes you back, but just can't be sure!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
I guess I'm not sure what to do.

We do have to spend a lot of time together but still I drop by his office even when I don't need to, I hang around, I dont rush off, I laugh at his jokes, I hold his smile, I tease him, I ask him about his free time, his interests, how his weekend was, what his plans are for the days he's not at my workplace (he's freelance, 2 days a week), I've invited him to grab a coffee during work a few times now.

I feel like I've made it obvious enough that I like him but maybe I haven't? Any more hints I can drop? He is not in my workplace again until next week now, when I will be flying off on vacation, so no chance of seeing him for 2 weeks.

I would suggest a drink after work but he always catches a ride home with a friend who works in another dept as he doesn't have a car and lives in next city.  I live in local town. There is a train station 5 mins away so it's not like he couldn't stay and then catch a train but he also tends to be in our office Monday and Tuesday and I know he has regular stuff on those nights anyway so he's not free. I'm stumped!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:37:54 PM by Samgirl2 »

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

We do have to spend a lot of time together but still I drop by his office even when I don't need to, I hang around, I dont rush off, I laugh at his jokes, I hold his smile, I tease him, I ask him about his free time, his interests, how his weekend was, what his plans are for the days he's not at my workplace (he's freelance, 2 days a week), I've invited him to grab a coffee during work a few times now.

I feel like I've made it obvious enough that I like him but maybe I haven't? Any more hints I can drop? He is not in my workplace again until next week now, when I will be flying off on vacation, so no chance of seeing him for 2 weeks.

It sounds like you've done enough.  I would now leave it up to him to make any further moves. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

What if you brought in a treat for him ("Hey, I stopped for coffee this morning and they had such delicious-looking bagels, I had to pick one up and thought you'd enjoy one as well!")?  Or maybe offered to get lunch outside of work hours ("It'd be nice ot have lunch sometime without worrying about work - what do you say?")?

Oops, just saw where you said getting lunch outside of work may be troublesome.  Maybe disregard that suggestion then.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:42:59 PM by CuriousGeorge »

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
You laugh at his jokes, but do you tell him any? He toughes your arm sometimes, do you ever initiate? He made a move that made you think he might kiss you, do you ever do something that blatent?

Honestly, I'd suggest grabbing drinks after work. Or even better, if there's a band playing at a club/bar/hangout you go to that you think he'd like invite him along.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
You laugh at his jokes, but do you tell him any? He toughes your arm sometimes, do you ever initiate? He made a move that made you think he might kiss you, do you ever do something that blatent?

Honestly, I'd suggest grabbing drinks after work. Or even better, if there's a band playing at a club/bar/hangout you go to that you think he'd like invite him along.

I agree with all of this. Also, you should keep in touch with casual fun emails while he and then you are away.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »

I agree with all of this. Also, you should keep in touch with casual fun emails while he and then you are away.

Unless they're currently emailing now, it might come across as a bit desperate.  I think that since she's already asked him out to coffee during work on a number of occasions, it's sort of in his court now.  Has he asked to go get coffee during work?  If he's just shy, I would think he would at least ask you out for coffee during work since you've already done opened that door.   Honestly, if he hasn't done that, I would back off as it's not coming across that he's that interested.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
...  he doesn't have a car and lives in next city. 

Is it even remotely possible that this could be part of his hesitation?  Maybe it's embarrassing to him that he couldn't drive you anywhere.  To some guys, letting the girl drive (all or most of the time) is an ego crusher.

Samgirl2

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »

Unless they're currently emailing now, it might come across as a bit desperate.  I think that since she's already asked him out to coffee during work on a number of occasions, it's sort of in his court now.  Has he asked to go get coffee during work?  If he's just shy, I would think he would at least ask you out for coffee during work since you've already done opened that door.   Honestly, if he hasn't done that, I would back off as it's not coming across that he's that interested.

We have done occasional out of work email and text so it would be ok I think.

He has asked me to join him to take a break during the work day if we've been stuck inside for a long time - stuff like grab a coffee and get some fresh air.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »
Has he asked to go get coffee during work?  If he's just shy, I would think he would at least ask you out for coffee during work since you've already done opened that door.   Honestly, if he hasn't done that, I would back off as it's not coming across that he's that interested.

I probably shouldn't even mention this, but as I read through this thread, the thought has occurred to me that just possibly, is there any remote chance that he's gay?  I have known guys who were very flirtatious toward women but who really had no interest beyond friendship.

Samgirl2

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
...  he doesn't have a car and lives in next city. 

Is it even remotely possible that this could be part of his hesitation?  Maybe it's embarrassing to him that he couldn't drive you anywhere.  To some guys, letting the girl drive (all or most of the time) is an ego crusher.

It's certainly a sore point with him I think. While I was driving to the location for offsite work last Friday I asked him why he didn't have a car, it must be a pain, and he said all this stuff about living in the city, not needing one etc, which I said I totally get as I used to be the same. Then I told him I didn't get my licence til I moved out of the city at 27, which was 3 years ago.  He went really red and didn't say anything and I smiled and said, 'you don't have a licence do you?' and he said 'no, but I usually keep it quiet, people think it's weird'!! I did reassure him it wasn't that weird, and reminded him I had only had mine a couple of years but he seemed pretty embarassed....

Samgirl2

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
Has he asked to go get coffee during work?  If he's just shy, I would think he would at least ask you out for coffee during work since you've already done opened that door.   Honestly, if he hasn't done that, I would back off as it's not coming across that he's that interested.

I probably shouldn't even mention this, but as I read through this thread, the thought has occurred to me that just possibly, is there any remote chance that he's gay?  I have known guys who were very flirtatious toward women but who really had no interest beyond friendship.

Well he made sure to tell me that he had an ex girlfriend so I don't think so. I hope not!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
LOL!  Well, then probably that's not the issue!   ;D

Just trying to cover all possibilities ...  8)

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »

We have done occasional out of work email and text so it would be ok I think.

He has asked me to join him to take a break during the work day if we've been stuck inside for a long time - stuff like grab a coffee and get some fresh air.

Dude, he is SO crushing on you too! ;D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »

Stop hinting!  Please.  For your sake as well as his.  Not everyone reads hints the same way that you do.  What you think is obvious may not be obvious to him.  Find some activity that you can do together and ask him.  Ask now for when you're going to be back from vacation.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
I'm wondering if you've considered that he also has "hesitations" about dating someone from the office - but wants to make sure you know he likes you, etc.

I dated my husband while we worked together.  Turned out fine. 

I say stop dancing around it and just ask him to lunch and lay it on the table.  Life's too short.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~