Author Topic: Thank you notes for joint gifts  (Read 2187 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Thank you notes for joint gifts
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
This one should be quick and easy :)  We just had our housewarming, and we're writing thank you notes.  Two of DF's work friends arrived together and gifted us a joint gift, sort of (two of the same plant for our garden).  I'm thinking independent thank you notes, maybe treating it as one plant per person.  Does that make sense?  What about joint gifts of one item, where it can't be easily split?  We didn't get any like that at the housewarming, but with a shower and wedding coming up, it's quite possible I'll be dealing with the same situation again soon.

Bonus question: there were people who DF greeted, and handed him the gifts, and people who I greeted, and who handed me the gifts.  Since we each thanked the people we greeted in person, I'm thinking I should write to the people he's already thanked, and vice versa.  Or can/should we just write them from both of us?  I think I heard something about how thank you notes should come from one person, but I might be making that up.

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Thank you notes for joint gifts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »
1. Each work friend gets a thank you.

2. Why can't DF write his thank yous to his friends/coworkers (just as he should write the thank yous to his work friends in #1), and you write to the people/family you know best?  You can begin with "DF and I wish to thank you for....and so on and so forth".  He could write, "Rainha and I wish to thank you for...".

3. I'd bet that if there was such a rule about the thank yous all from one person, it was made up by someone who didn't want to write thank you notes ;).  Therefore, it became the spouse's job.

gui

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »

3. I'd bet that if there was such a rule about the thank yous all from one person, it was made up by someone who didn't want to write thank you notes ;).  Therefore, it became the spouse's job.

gui

I think it's that each individual note should only have one signer. Not that all the notes have to be from the same person.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »

I think it's that each individual note should only have one signer. Not that all the notes have to be from the same person.

*gasp*   Is that true?   ???

It's been a very long time, but I think I wrote most of the Thank You notes and I think I signed from both of us (our names, as in Hanky and Spanky).  Yikes!   :o

LaciGirl007

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »

*gasp*   Is that true?   ???

It's been a very long time, but I think I wrote most of the Thank You notes and I think I signed from both of us (our names, as in Hanky and Spanky).  Yikes!   :o
I don't see anything wrong with it if Hanky writes the thank you note, signs it, and then Spanky adds "and Spanky" after Hanky's signature.  No biggie.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »

3. I'd bet that if there was such a rule about the thank yous all from one person, it was made up by someone who didn't want to write thank you notes ;).  Therefore, it became the spouse's job.

gui

Yep, that's what I meant :)

I'd be fine with writing to my friends, and him writing to his friends, but I thought it might make sense for us to write according to who physically received the gift.  So, if my friend Mary handed me a casserole dish, and I thanked her when she did it, it would be nice for her to hear from DF this time.  Or, for his work friends who handed him the plants, it would be nice for them to also hear from me.  If it matters, we've both met and are both friendly with all the guests, so neither of us would be writing to strangers.

Polly

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
I say independent thank-you notes for any joint gift if the gift givers live at different addresses (with the exception of couples who are temporarily living at different addresses due to work commitments or something, i.e. where a common address remains valid and one party just happens to be away). So yes to OP about independent thank you notes to the people who brought plants. In this case it wasn't a joint gift anyway, but two gifts that complemented one another. So DEFINATELY separate notes.

And, regardless of which gifts were handed to whom, the thank you should come from both of you. Otherwise if DF writes that he loved it they'll be wondering if this is a PA way of saying you didn't! On the spot thank-yous are sometimes sufficient but if an occasion calls for written thank yous, that supercedes the verbal thank you. So by saying thank you in person doesn't mean you don't say it in writing.

amylouky

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
I'm thinking independent thank you notes, maybe treating it as one plant per person.  Does that make sense?  What about joint gifts of one item, where it can't be easily split?  We didn't get any like that at the housewarming, but with a shower and wedding coming up, it's quite possible I'll be dealing with the same situation again soon.

I think maybe you're making this too hard.. unless I'm misunderstanding? If Aunt May, Aunt June, and Aunt September all chip in to buy you a microwave, you don't thank each of them for 1/3 of the microwave. Just send separate cards, with "thank you for the microwave".