Author Topic: Bad Grammar in Public  (Read 8622 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Bad Grammar in Public
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
Beefstake! BEEFSTAKE!

/cartman
Words mean things.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
Beefstake! BEEFSTAKE!

/cartman

Hmm. Beefstake. Is that what one would use to kill a bovine vampire?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Please, don't get me started on this.

While working in the library I came across a critique of books for children on the Ancient World.  The author worked in the education department.  I'm sure she meant well but she made a major error over and over again.  Her work was printed and given to teachers all over the city.

I believe she wanted to say that the material was appropriate for children because it was presented in a 'simple' way.  That would have been fine.  However, she was one of the tribe that believed another syllable or two made things look more intellectual.  She therefore praised every book she liked as 'simplistic'.

I don't know about you but I have never heard 'simplistic' used in a positive way.   

I think the problem you're experiencing here is someone using an exact definition or a different definition for a word that we are used to being used in a different way, such as the word "queer" meaning unusual, not homosexual; and the word "ignorant" meaning without knowledge, not rude.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CakeBeret

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
What really gets my goat is when people advertise an item for, say, .50. Unless you mean that the item is 50/100ths (or 1/2) of a penny, then it is not .50. It is 50, or $.50, or $0.50.

I have always wanted to try to pay someone 1 penny and ask for my change when something is advertised as .50, but I never have.

Of course, it has always been my life's dream to have a giant red sharpie and go around correcting incorrect grammar on signs. ;)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 11:52:28 AM »
I saw one of the worst many years ago.  It was a sign in a parking lot.  It read

"No Coretatting on the Pavment.  Violators will be Proscuated!"

Oooh!.  Proscuation sounds very painful. 

HorseFreak

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
I walked past a tattoo shop in a flea market in Florida with a horribly misspelled sign and I'm sure what they thought was a clever intentional misspelling of "become." Very childish and unprofessional. What shocked me were the people actually getting tattooed at this Hepatitis Hut!

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
I saw one of the worst many years ago.  It was a sign in a parking lot.  It read

"No Coretatting on the Pavment.  Violators will be Proscuated!"

Oooh!.  Proscuation sounds very painful. 

What is "coretatting"? Or what is it supposed to be? I'm drawing a total blank.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
What the sign intended to say was,

"No congregating on the pavement. Violators will be prosecuted".

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
Evidently we have a sign shop in my area that doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to their work. I've seen two banners with the same exact error, so I'm hoping it's just one shop making this error! They used the word "formally" instead of "formerly." As in, abusiness changed it's name so on their banner it says "formally XYZ Store!"  The other was for a musician that was going to perform locally. This person used to be a member of a well-known band, so the banner said, "Come see soandso perform this Saturday! Formally of the ABC Band!"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
I saw one of the worst many years ago.  It was a sign in a parking lot.  It read

"No Coretatting on the Pavment.  Violators will be Proscuated!"

Oooh!.  Proscuation sounds very painful.  

Coretatting might be also, if I knew what it was... Note to self: Read the thread all the way to the end, Mama!  ::)

Spelling courtesy of the Falker Satherhood School of Spelling?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:55:48 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »
Not a sign, but my DH works with a guy who keeps saying "boughten" for "bought" and "mergered" for "merged."  Drives poor DH Ca-razy.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »
What the sign intended to say was,

"No congregating on the pavement. Violators will be prosecuted".

I once saw a sign that read "No Trespassing. Trespassers will be Violated!" My family and I are still trying to figure out if the people who wrote that meant to write that.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 03:13:54 AM »
Here is a picture of a pub in my local high street.

Wrong on so many levels.

It makes me twitch so much that I harbour fantasies of going down there in the middle of the night to correct it.

TaylorMade

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 03:22:04 AM »
So I read this thread title and the one above it sorta blended in and I ended up seeing:

"Bad Grammar in The Bathroom"

My only thought was that e-hell had official jumped the shark...

Erich L-ster

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
Evidently we have a sign shop in my area that doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to their work. I've seen two banners with the same exact error, so I'm hoping it's just one shop making this error! They used the word "formally" instead of "formerly." As in, abusiness changed it's name so on their banner it says "formally XYZ Store!"  The other was for a musician that was going to perform locally. This person used to be a member of a well-known band, so the banner said, "Come see soandso perform this Saturday! Formally of the ABC Band!"

bah how do you know he's not formally in ABC band but chooses to play informally or is loosely associated with other band?

and maybe the store is like McDonald's....formally known as McDonald's but informally known as Micky D's? let's take them at their word....their misused word
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:28:33 AM by Erich L-ster »