Author Topic: Bad Grammar in Public  (Read 8927 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Bad Grammar in Public
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 04:36:48 AM »
Here is a picture of a pub in my local high street.

Wrong on so many levels.

It makes me twitch so much that I harbour fantasies of going down there in the middle of the night to correct it.

Please, let me know when you plan to go and I'll come with you and help!

I think we should all have an EHell day, kind of like those flash mobs, but it'd be a grammar correction mob. And we'd all have red markers and go around town correcting things. Worldwide Grammar Police Day.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:16 AM »

Wrong on so many levels.

It makes me twitch so much that I harbour fantasies of going down there in the middle of the night to correct it.

I think we should all have an EHell day, kind of like those flash mobs, but it'd be a grammar correction mob. And we'd all have red markers and go around town correcting things. Worldwide Grammar Police Day.

I will, with pleasure :)

I once went to a pub with a group of friends from a fic comm on LJ, several of whom were on the beta reader list. The menu in the pub was SO badly written and contained so many instances of apostrophe and grammar abuse that one of them actually got out a red pen and corrected it at the table.

In her defence: a) she's a teacher, b) it was a paper menu with a great big stack of them available at the bar to replace it and c) it was really, REALLY bad.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 05:26:36 AM »
I live a town who's name ends in "burg", so it was understandable when I went into a bar and saw Pittsburgh spelled similarly, i.e. Pittsburg.  Thankfully, when I alerted the bartender of this mistake, he handed me the board marker and let me change it.  He was also kind enough to listen to me tell him the history of how the 'h' was originally in the name of the city, then removed, and finally reinstated.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
Miss Vertigo, that would drive me completely unhinged. I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. I'd be coordinating donations for them to get their sign fixed.

Gyburc

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »

Wrong on so many levels.

Can I come too? This kind of thing drives me potty. The one that gets me frequently is the supermarket checkout for customers with '15 items or less'.  ::)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »

Wrong on so many levels.

Can I come too? This kind of thing drives me potty. The one that gets me frequently is the supermarket checkout for customers with '15 items or less'.  ::)

That's why I like Meijer. Their signs say "Fewer", which gives me a warm toasty feeling.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »

As long as Weird Al can come, too!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
Not a sign, but my DH works with a guy who keeps saying "boughten" for "bought" and "mergered" for "merged."  Drives poor DH Ca-razy.

I think "boughten" is a regional thing. My family is from a small farm town in upstate NY and they all say boughten. It took years to break my parents if that!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
What the sign intended to say was,

"No congregating on the pavement. Violators will be prosecuted".

I once saw a sign that read "No Trespassing. Trespassers will be Violated!" My family and I are still trying to figure out if the people who wrote that meant to write that.

I would guess they did mean to write that. It's not an entirely uncommon joke. ;)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
The one that gets me frequently is the supermarket checkout for customers with '15 items or less'.  ::)

Oh no! I never noticed that before. Now, I'm going to think of it Every. Time. I'm at the store. It's going to drive me batpoo crazy!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
Yesterday I had Jury Duty and found this gem in the Juror lounge rest room.

Do not throw paper towels into the "Toilets".

Why is that word in quotes?  A toilet is not a euphemism. It is the proper term for an integral part of a rest room. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »
Some people apparently believe that the quotes are added for emphasis, instead of using *asterisks* or caps.

Do not throw towels into the *Toilets*
(unsaid but implied: put them elsewhere, like the bin provided.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
Some people apparently believe that the quotes are added for emphasis, instead of using *asterisks* or caps.

Do not throw towels into the *Toilets*
(unsaid but implied: put them elsewhere, like the bin provided.)

In a pub I used to frequent, it does not matter whether the words are 250ft high, written in bright red and in bold, people still put TP in the loo, and they always clog up and flood. Result? Sopping wet TP on the floor.  Nice.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

Wrong on so many levels.

I would just make a little story in my head that the pub belongs to two brothers whose last name is Half and they think this is a very funny joke. Of course, they in turn lay awake at night wondering whether they are just torturing grammarians or if anyone else gets it.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »

Wrong on so many levels.

I would just make a little story in my head that the pub belongs to two brothers whose last name is Half and they think this is a very funny joke. Of course, they in turn lay awake at night wondering whether they are just torturing grammarians or if anyone else gets it.

Even if that was the case, there would not be an apostrophe there.

They could have called the pub "The Half Pinter" or "Quick Half" or even "Half and Half".
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.