Author Topic: Bad Grammar in Public  (Read 8910 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Bad Grammar in Public
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »

^ No, it could work. A lot of times you see places named Joe's or Marjory's instead of Joe's Pub or Marjory's Diner. That one would just be The Two Half's as in The Two Half's Pub or The Two Half's Place.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Or "Get Us A Half" Inn... :P
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »

^ No, it could work. A lot of times you see places named Joe's or Marjory's instead of Joe's Pub or Marjory's Diner. That one would just be The Two Half's as in The Two Half's Pub or The Two Half's Place.

Hmm, yeah, but because there would be two Half brothers they would be the Halfs, plural, so it would have to be The Two Halfs'.

Or perhaps we're giving it way too much thought for a Friday night  ;D

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
Or they could make it into a sports bar and call it...

"A Game of Two Halfs".

I sincerely apologise.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »

Hmm, yeah, but because there would be two Half brothers they would be the Halfs, plural, so it would have to be The Two Halfs'.

Oh, no! You're right! I thought i had found a way to keep the twitching down. Now i will not sleep tonight.

:P

"A Game of Two Halfs".

I sincerely apologise.

I love it. I'm trying so hard to hold in the giggles.  :D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »

Oh, no! You're right! I thought i had found a way to keep the twitching down. Now i will not sleep tonight.

:P

"A Game of Two Halfs".

I sincerely apologise.

I love it. I'm trying so hard to hold in the giggles.  :D

If someone stole something from that pub, I guess it would be half-inched (pinched).

Ok I will stop now.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »
Some people apparently believe that the quotes are added for emphasis, instead of using *asterisks* or caps.

Do not throw towels into the *Toilets*
(unsaid but implied: put them elsewhere, like the bin provided.)

In a pub I used to frequent, it does not matter whether the words are 250ft high, written in bright red and in bold, people still put TP in the loo, and they always clog up and flood. Result? Sopping wet TP on the floor.  Nice.

Toilets should be able to handle TP.  If putting TP in the toilet causes flooding, then that establishment has some seriously bad plumbing.  I would venture that most people naturally assume they should put their used toilet paper in the toilet. 

Paper towels and other larger, thicker paper products should never be put in them, however.

NestHolder

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
I try not to be a customer of anyone who misuses apostrophes... but I'd starve to death if I kept very strictly to my principles.  However, I am pleased to report that Marks & Spencer responded to customer demand and now have "10 items or fewer" signs!

I nearly had a fit of the vapours when I found a sign on one of the cross-trainers at my gym explaining that the machine was not working and they were sorry for the 'icovience'.  It was not hand-written, so somebody was too bone idle to use a spell-checker.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
I try not to be a customer of anyone who misuses apostrophes... but I'd starve to death if I kept very strictly to my principles.  However, I am pleased to report that Marks & Spencer responded to customer demand and now have "10 items or fewer" signs!

I nearly had a fit of the vapours when I found a sign on one of the cross-trainers at my gym explaining that the machine was not working and they were sorry for the 'icovience'.  It was not hand-written, so somebody was too bone idle to use a spell-checker.

I love M&S. "This isn't just any sumptuous, creamy, milky chocolate mousse...this is M&S food...." Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. What would I not give for one of THOSE right now? Can't have mousses apparently!!! :(

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »
What really gets my goat is when people advertise an item for, say, .50. Unless you mean that the item is 50/100ths (or 1/2) of a penny, then it is not .50. It is 50, or $.50, or $0.50.

I have always wanted to try to pay someone 1 penny and ask for my change when something is advertised as .50, but I never have.

Of course, it has always been my life's dream to have a giant red sharpie and go around correcting incorrect grammar on signs. ;)

I'm in!   I'll even bring the markers! :D

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 09:04:35 PM »
This was inscribed on a brass plaque at a historic site.

"This was the site of one of Mulberry's Street's oldest houses, Circa 1830"

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »

We ate at a little cafe today that misspelled omelette two different ways - omlet and omlett.  Also, biscuits were buscits and something else - my eyes were starting to water.  There was also an errant apostrophe on the second page. 

Food was good (although very slow).  Don't think I'll be going there again.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:03 AM »

What really gets me is just HOW can someone ignore that big zig-zagging red line that tells you that you are incorrect?!  It boggles the mind.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »

What really gets me is just HOW can someone ignore that big zig-zagging red line that tells you that you are incorrect?!  It boggles the mind.

I don't know, but apparently they can.  It's hilarious when it's on a huge blackboard outside a grocery shop. We've seen things like:

"Lunch's from 5!"

"Two bottle's of wine for 10"

I honestly feel like asking these people, "Were you never taught how to spell and use punctuation correctly?? Then I feel like I am being pedantic...

The "their, there and they're" confusion gets on my nerves a lot as well. I see it a lot on FB ("Their was no point" or "There over their"?!), as does the your and you're. "Your getting on my nerves with you're awful spelling"). Gah.

Reuth

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »

If you're at all familiar with Batman, you've heard of the character called "Two Face". Perhaps there is a man called, for some reason, "Two Half", and this is his establishment.