Author Topic: Bad Grammar in Public  (Read 8547 times)

scotcat

Re: Bad Grammar in Public
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »
RE: The two Half's

Do you live in South-East 26 Miss Vertigo? Because I've seen this pub!

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »
The grocery store I work at has a huge sign near one of the doors describing all of the community charities and events that the store help. Below that, it says "Why? Because We Live Here To!" (bolding mine) You live here to.... what? I tried telling them that it should be "Too" but they don't care.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
People that are not bothered by grammar/spelling errors say "If you can tell what it's supposed to mean, why does it bother you?" ::)  Because plowing through it is made a lot tougher than it needs to be, that's why.

Then you have a Punctuationist, like my FIL.  You could, always tell when he, had typed a letter instead, of MIL. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Reuth

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
Then you have a Punctuationist, like my FIL.  You could, always tell when he, had typed a letter instead, of MIL. 

I read that in a William Shatner voice.

This morning I drove by a sign for a TAGE SELE.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
I used to change the signs corporate sent us for sales.  I don't promise to have a total grasp of grammar, but I do usually know where the apostrophe goes, that sale =/= sail (or *shudder* "sail"), and that express lines are X items or fewer.  It was the more common mistakes that drove me insane.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Last night while out, I had to visit the bathroom. Or, as the sign at the establishment said, the Ladie's Room.

Inside the Ladie's Room, there were in-stall advertisements. One was for a limo service that suggested you contract with them for your Birthday Party's and Bachelor Party's.

I almost snapped a picture of that ad, but then I questioned whether it was kosher to use my cell phone inside a bathroom stall. ;)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
We were behind the ice cream truck in Elfqueen's neighborhood, and noted the warning on the back to "Watch for Childeren".
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
I try not to be a customer of anyone who misuses apostrophes... but I'd starve to death if I kept very strictly to my principles.  However, I am pleased to report that Marks & Spencer responded to customer demand and now have "10 items or fewer" signs!

I nearly had a fit of the vapours when I found a sign on one of the cross-trainers at my gym explaining that the machine was not working and they were sorry for the 'icovience'.  It was not hand-written, so somebody was too bone idle to use a spell-checker.

That looks like a case of dyslexia. But at least I can figure out what it means ... unlike the computer-generated note where the spell-checker apparently grabbed for the wrong correction of misspelled "inconvenience" and gave us ...

"Sorry for the incontinence."

On a gym machine? Ewwww... :P
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:02 AM »
I try not to be a customer of anyone who misuses apostrophes... but I'd starve to death if I kept very strictly to my principles.  However, I am pleased to report that Marks & Spencer responded to customer demand and now have "10 items or fewer" signs!

I nearly had a fit of the vapours when I found a sign on one of the cross-trainers at my gym explaining that the machine was not working and they were sorry for the 'icovience'.  It was not hand-written, so somebody was too bone idle to use a spell-checker.

That looks like a case of dyslexia. But at least I can figure out what it means ... unlike the computer-generated note where the spell-checker apparently grabbed for the wrong correction of misspelled "inconvenience" and gave us ...

"Sorry for the incontinence."

On a gym machine? Ewwww... :P

I see inconvenience spelled as "inconvience" frequently.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »

One of the local groceries decided to take a different tack- they changed the sign to "about 15 items".

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:09 AM »

One of the local groceries decided to take a different tack- they changed the sign to "about 15 items".

I love it!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

^ No, it could work. A lot of times you see places named Joe's or Marjory's instead of Joe's Pub or Marjory's Diner. That one would just be The Two Half's as in The Two Half's Pub or The Two Half's Place.

Hmm, yeah, but because there would be two Half brothers they would be the Halfs, plural, so it would have to be The Two Halfs'.

Or perhaps we're giving it way too much thought for a Friday night  ;D

If you're at all familiar with Batman, you've heard of the character called "Two Face". Perhaps there is a man called, for some reason, "Two Half", and this is his establishment.

There we go!   :D You are the awesome.

I almost forgot that there is a little bar near me that uses paper menus, on which there are six spelling mistakes and if you find all six you get a free drink. The bartenders say there are no tricks or anything, just six plain old errors. Embarrassingly, I have only ever been able to find five of them.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »

^ No, it could work. A lot of times you see places named Joe's or Marjory's instead of Joe's Pub or Marjory's Diner. That one would just be The Two Half's as in The Two Half's Pub or The Two Half's Place.

Hmm, yeah, but because there would be two Half brothers they would be the Halfs, plural, so it would have to be The Two Halfs'.

Or perhaps we're giving it way too much thought for a Friday night  ;D

If you're at all familiar with Batman, you've heard of the character called "Two Face". Perhaps there is a man called, for some reason, "Two Half", and this is his establishment.

There we go!   :D You are the awesome.

I almost forgot that there is a little bar near me that uses paper menus, on which there are six spelling mistakes and if you find all six you get a free drink. The bartenders say there are no tricks or anything, just six plain old errors. Embarrassingly, I have only ever been able to find five of them.

So now you need to go out for a beer, take a pic of the menu and send it here to Ehell. We'll help and you get a free beverage.
Win Win!

(laughing because I first typed "Win Wine", which also works...)

Reuth

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
So now you need to go out for a beer, take a pic of the menu and send it here to Ehell. We'll help and you get a free beverage.
Win Win!

Oh yes, I would dearly love this!

suzieQ

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
Don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but DH saying "I seen that" drives me up the wall.

And in stores, "you brake it, you buy it"
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/