Author Topic: Bad Grammar in Public  (Read 8620 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Bad Grammar in Public
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
So now you need to go out for a beer, take a pic of the menu and send it here to Ehell. We'll help and you get a free beverage.
Win Win!

Oh yes, I would dearly love this!

Why didn't I think of that? I will try.  ;D Great idea!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I think the editor of our local newspaper is illiterate.

The following spellings have been seen in our newspaper...

spade, spaded, spaid.

I just want to call them up and say, it's one freaking word and you can't get it right? S.P.A.Y.E.D.

The following word was on the front page of a newspaper... drownded

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
I hate when papers/radio presenters state that a person hung themselves.  The word is "hanged".
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »
I hate when papers/radio presenters state that a person hung themselves.  The word is "hanged".

Thank you!  I thought I was the only person that knew this!  Also, that it is copyrighted, not copywritten.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:35 AM »

Thank you!  I thought I was the only person that knew this!  Also, that it is copyrighted, not copywritten.

You were definitely not the only person who knew that. ;)

Yes, I am evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2011, 04:15:36 AM »

You were definitely not the only person who knew that. ;)

Yes, I am evil.

LOL Only slightly so...Can I get out of trouble by offering the excuse that I was too busy drinking my Coke to have noticed the error in my ways?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »
My Df works in a call centre where, alas, bad spelling and grammar make regular appearances.

He recently saw a display stating "Over Time Avalable (sic), Please Inquire (sic) With Manager".  Underneath it said: "Work Saturday's or Sunday's...8 - 4 on Saturday's, 10 - 2 on Sundays. Call __________ ____________ on ____ ______".

These people are apparently University educated managers. They get paid over 30,000 to do their jobs. I wouldn't care so much if the mistakes were consistent at least - I had no trouble, btw, believing DF, as I used to work there myself and have seen first hand the derisory standard of spelling and grammar on public display. :(

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
My Df works in a call centre where, alas, bad spelling and grammar make regular appearances.

He recently saw a display stating "Over Time Avalable (sic), Please Inquire (sic) With Manager".  Underneath it said: "Work Saturday's or Sunday's...8 - 4 on Saturday's, 10 - 2 on Sundays. Call __________ ____________ on ____ ______".

These people are apparently University educated managers. They get paid over 30,000 to do their jobs. I wouldn't care so much if the mistakes were consistent at least - I had no trouble, btw, believing DF, as I used to work there myself and have seen first hand the derisory standard of spelling and grammar on public display. :(
How is "inquire" wrong?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2011, 03:35:16 AM »
The capital letter on "Inquire" was random...and although either spelling is technically acceptable, most people use "enquire" meaning to seek information and "inquire" as a more formal investigation.  When DF told me I wrote it down and the "inquiry" thing jumps out at me!! Maybe I am just a nit picker...!!!!

Lol!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2011, 05:21:43 AM »
Article today on the BBC website- spelling mistakes online can cost millions http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14130854
NE England

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2011, 05:50:39 AM »
The capital letter on "Inquire" was random...and although either spelling is technically acceptable, most people use "enquire" meaning to seek information and "inquire" as a more formal investigation.  When DF told me I wrote it down and the "inquiry" thing jumps out at me!! Maybe I am just a nit picker...!!!!

Lol!

Oh, okay, I didn't realize it was the capitalization since other things were also capitalized.  However, I've only ever used inquire and only ever think of it that way, so I would have only noticed if it was spelled with an "e".

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »
I should have made that more clear in OP!!!!  ???

Sorry to confuse. The Capitalisation Of Every Word In A Sentence Annoys Me A Little.  Especially when one sentence is written that way and then the sentence underneath is written as a normal sentence!! Random!!!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
I was making changes to an ad yesterday while on the phone with the customer.

He wanted the sentence to read "Lac des Isles Lake Lots for sale".
I pointed out that we had capitalized the name of the lake because it was a name, but that we tried to follow common sentence convention and that's why we hadn't capitalized Lake Lots.

He said "I don't care what the convention is, I want it to stand out, so make it capitals!"

It hurt, but I did it. We spend a lot of time correcting grammar and spelling so that customers look smarter than they are, and do have to intentionally write it incorrectly made me cringe!
So if you see the ad somewhere, please don't blame the newspaper! It's not my fault!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
Right after the Casey Anthony verdict, I saw this crawl on CNN's Headline News channel:

State attorneys suprised and dissapointed by verdict

Really, HLN? If you need a new CG operator, I'd be glad to take the job.

JadeAngel

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »
I'll never forget a high school debate in which my opposing speaker kept using the word 'mouses' as the plural for mouse. You better believe I corrected him when it was my turn to speak.  >:D

Right now there's a radio ad which drives me insane, although I've never been quite sure if it's gramatically incorrect. The name of the company is 'Direct' and they use the word repeatedly through the ad, including the following statement towards the beginning.

For more information go 'direct' to our website

Everytime it comes to that part I snap 'directLY!', but I'm thinking 'direct' could be right as well.

Grammarians?