Author Topic: A Very Diligent lawn-mower  (Read 2621 times)

KarenK

Re: A Very Diligent lawn-mower
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
Was this a typo?  He snow-blowed his lawn?  I live in MN and I've never seen anyone do that.  Generally it's considered preferable to keep the snow cover on the grass.  Or at least that's what I was always told if I went past the driveway when shoveling.  Bizarre.

Not a typo. He really did snow blow his lawn. After every significant snow, or every week, whichever was sooner. Thinking about it, he's probably still alive and still snow blowing. He was a little... off? I don't think he liked snow. He would generally blow it into our back yard which wasn't a problem because it was heavily wooded and we weren't back there much during the winter anyway.

I wondered where he put the snow!

I have to confess that my DH also snowblows the yard, but it's only to make paths for the cats to take around the back yard! ;D

squeakers

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »
We had a neighbor up the hill, "George", who was always mowing, rolling and trimming his yard.  He was the best neighbor ever and we were very sad when he moved into a nursing home. 80+ years old and we smile on the rare occasions we see him out for a drive.

He told us the history of our area including where everyone lived, where houses were and the fact where our neighbor's to the west house used to be a strawberry field. Most of the houses sit on 2 lots since first one house and then the other would "die" and be replaced by one in the middle.

He and his wife would pick apples, pears and peaches (which was awesome as peaches don't do well in our cold climate) and send bucketsful our way.

Even though he was always busy he only mowed twice a week.  The new people mow about 4 times a week.  They never get the yard completely done.  Plus the dad likes to ride his son around the yard (dangerous) just for fun.

But I'll take the noise over the next door to the west people's mowing twice a year.  Although it did make for a natural fence line for my dogs -they are on wireless collars some of the time.. slowly but surely they have learned their perimeter and stay in it even w/o the collars.  I seldom leave them out for longer than a few minutes w/o being out with them.  No fence means other dogs could eat my itty dogs let alone any of the wildlife in the sky or on the ground.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
My in-laws have an 1-1/4 acre lot. All the original plots were done that way and then 20 years later, a subdivision was built next to them. There is a house just behind theirs.

One day, after my MIL left to run an errand, my FIL heard a chain saw going in the back yard. They have tall bushes against the fence that work for privacy, and they don't drop leaves or make a mess. My FIL looked and the lawyer neighbor had "trimmed" all the branches from one side of a bush, that was entirely on the in-laws side of the fence! My FIL went and got his chainsaw and cut it down, since it wouldn't have survived the way the neighbor butchered it. They haven't done anything similar since.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
When I was growing up we had a neighbour that was a little off.  She wasn't a bad neighbour as such, but she was an older widow and a bit of a Mrs Nosy. 

Anyway, one day in the mid 70s we finally got our first colour TV.  Woohoo!  It was set up in our loungeroom, which backed onto her front garden.  The lawn area was tiny, and usually a few minutes to mow.  Not that day, it took her a couple of hours...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
A previous house we owned was next door to the retired riding lawn mower dealer - he mowed every few days & kept that lawn scalped almost as short as a military recruit's haircut (Army - very short, not Marine - "almost bald").  Seriously, the edges of the ditches were bald because the blades were cutting into the soil, the grass was being cut so short...the drainage ditches on our short street never clogged at his end because the grass was short enough that the water flow was not impeded.

He was very nice but our yard was on a steeper side of the hill & full of trees - a riding lawnmower did not work well for getting between the trees.  We also didn't need to mow the shaded lawn nearly as often as he thought it should be mowed...he kept trying to tell us that we needed a riding lawnmower....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

checkitnice

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
At our last house we had a neighbor who would get out the snowblower at the first sign of snow.  I'm not kidding, there would be so little that I would be using a broom on my front steps and he'd be snowblowing his entire driveway before it had even stopped coming down.  In the middle of the night, first thing in the morning, whenever.  He did the same thing with a leaf blower - only he'd do his entire front yard with it until there wasn't a single leaf left.  He was retired and lived alone.  I think it was his only hobby.  But hearing the snowblower fire up at 2am in the middle of a blizzard got a little old. 

The house before that (we rented for a few years and bounced around) had a crazy landlord whose idea of plowing the driveway extended to plowing our entire yard because he didn't really have the mechanics of it down.  We told him we'd do it ourselves after that, since we wanted a nice snowy yard for DD to play in and not a sheet of bumpy dirty ice.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 03:15:58 AM »
Zealous and highly-"involved" home-owners, and how obsessive they can get over the whole issue of lawns -- or so it seems to someone like me, from whom the garden-care gene was totally omitted...

There comes to mind, a book by a British classicist -- an introduction, from the basics, to the ancient Greeks and their world. The author discusses at one point, how the Greeks had the leisure to spend all the time they did in hanging-out and developing philosophy, science, and the rest.  He cites a number of factors (including, it must be admitted, their having slaves to do the "donkey work") -- also among these, climatic issues; and life's having been simpler without many of modern civilisation's inventions, which tend to create as much work as they save.  He mentions lawn-mowing as not having been on the ancient Greeks' agenda, with words to the effect that "in a climate such as Britain's, grass is one of the prominent enemies of intellectual discourse".