Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 280515 times)

Eeep!

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2295 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Kaora, regarding your second mystery, I'm betting someone needed the original box to return something.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2296 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
Kaora, regarding your second mystery, I'm betting someone needed the original box to return something.

That was my bet, too. They might have an old one they can't return as-is anymore, and want to make it look newish to fool customer service.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2297 on: July 30, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
Kaora, the GPS maps could be showing planned roads.  I've seen this happen before.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #2298 on: July 31, 2014, 03:28:50 AM »
Kaora, the GPS maps could be showing planned roads.  I've seen this happen before.

I know, I've been to California City.  I was curious what was there, to be planned out.  It's not either city, as neither share's real street names with them, and both towns are too far to be a feasible extension. :) Just a fun thought.

That was my bet, too. They might have an old one they can't return as-is anymore, and want to make it look newish to fool customer service.

I work in a thrift store.  The item was one-of-a-kind there, from the 1970's.  It had been tested and everything, so its confusing why anyone would take it.  Plus, our refunds are store credit, which is only useful on more electronics, and they removed the masking tape telling the date tested, the status of the item, and the price, so it wouldn't do them much good for scamming us then, either. :)

gmatoy

« Reply #2299 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »

I know, I've been to California City.  I was curious what was there, to be planned out.  It's not either city, as neither share's real street names with them, and both towns are too far to be a feasible extension. :) Just a fun thought.

I work in a thrift store.  The item was one-of-a-kind there, from the 1970's.  It had been tested and everything, so its confusing why anyone would take it.  Plus, our refunds are store credit, which is only useful on more electronics, and they removed the masking tape telling the date tested, the status of the item, and the price, so it wouldn't do them much good for scamming us then, either. :)

My guess is that the box was sturdy and the right size for something someone needed. Storage or to mail, maybe?

greencat

« Reply #2300 on: July 31, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
It might be that they own one of the item that they'd like to sell, and having the box will make it considerably more valuable.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2301 on: July 31, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
Where did the milk go?

My husband just finished his glass of milk.  Then he went into the kitchen to get more, and he can't find the gallon jug of milk.  Now, he was drinking whole milk, and there are two gallons of fat free milk in the fridge.  But he hates fat free and would definitely have noticed if that's what he drank.  There's no whole milk container in the recycling bin, so he didn't finish it and forget that he'd thrown it out.  It's not in the fridge or in any of the cabinets (I checked in case he put it in a cabinet without thinking about it).  It's not on any of the counters or the table.  I walked around the whole lower floor but I don't see it anywhere.  He'd been sitting at the computer drinking his glass of milk, which he'd filled in the kitchen and then brought to the computer, so I looked around the computer and everywhere in between.  Gone!

This mystery may be solved in a few weeks when it starts to smell.  But it's really, really weird.

(For the record, we don't have any indoor pets and the little ones are all safely asleep, and I don't drink milk nor have I touched it, so there's no chance that anybody else moved it.  Unless the Borrowers moved in.)

drzim

« Reply #2302 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »
Yet another genealogical question for which I have clues and theories but nothing definitive.  What was my father doing during WWII?  On December 7, 1941 he was 24 years old with no known physical problems that would 4-F him from service.  My brother was six months old, so maybe he was exempt because of that, but other husbands and fathers went. 

The more intriguing possibility has to do with his profession.  He was an organic chemist who specialized in fuels working on his doctorate at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.  He always bean-dipped my questions, but my mother recalled that he was suddenly working at another place and could not tell her anything.   Much later, among his old books, I found cryptic papers with what looked like unrelated chemical symbols on them.   He took "business trips" to-somewhere. 

Either his profession alone exempted him due to war needs at home, and/or he became involved, however slightly, with the Manhattan Project.  Case was a major site for this before things moved to New Mexico and Tennessee.   It might explain his reticence all the rest of his life about where he was and what he did.   I'll never know.
It may have been some other classified project.  Manhattan was only one of them. My bet would be on chemical fueled missiles of some sort.
[/b]

That's a good thought.  I was thinking of some kind of rocketry.  The Germans had the best known, but the Allies were working on their own as well.

Just putting this out there-- I have a family member who was working on a "project that never happened."  If it did happen, it might've help stop the Cold War and help cause the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

Just saying it could be one of those types.

As for a local history mystery...

I live in Southwestern Mining Town USA, not too far from Death Valley.  The town itself was never used to house miners, but provide food for the farmers in Salty Soil Mining Town USA, and had Sidings, little communities that sprung up every 10 miles along the railroad, to provide water for the train, and rest for the people on it.

To date, most of the Sidings have been absorbed, the most recent being Siding 18, who was formally incorporated until 1950.  It is now technically a part of Siding 16, our rural sprawl and neighboring town, which is still incorporated.  I'm giving all this detail because I think its important.

We go offroading, and we bring our GPSes with us.  It's a small valley, to be sure, but its so easy to get lost in once you leave the Southwestern Mining Town.  Our favorite road to start on is an old, mostly abandoned road, that has been used in a lot of Scifi shoots, including a scene in Firefly.

From there, we usually go wherever.  On our GPS, we once found a small pack of streets, all organized, and very carefully planned, but nothing was paved, or even signed, when we got there.  Most of them don't share any common street names with the streets in my Town, except one that technically runs an East-West path through the valley, and said Scifi Road.

It also has the official name of a road that technically connects Siding 16 to a small mining town just south of here, but the road running through it is less than 2 miles, and is a dead-end either way.

I want to know what was once there, but my research so far has turned up nada.  I'm very interested in local history, so this is driving me bonkers.

Another neat bit of history, though likely not directly related to my mystery above: We used to have a ghost town along a major highway, in the very western edge of the valley.  It was only abandoned in 1976, but due to its position, most of it was brought home as souvenirs.  No buildings are standing now.  We actually have quite a few little ghost towns around here, mining towns that collapsed once the mines shut down.  Mum knew a girl who went to high school with her, and whose family was probably the last living residents in one of the closer towns.  Just neat.

One more mystery, that I completely forgot to include last night, but is totally mundane:  What happened to an item's box in the store?

I'm now working swing shift at a local thrift store, and when I come into work, I do a quick lookthrough to see what needs to be cleaned up, before my shift starts.

I saw an electronic item (a still image transceiver) still in box during my sweep, but when I started my shift, and came out from the warehouse in the back, I noticed someone had just taken the box.  I mean, they had put great care and effort into removing the transceiver, and the styrofoam with the power supply in it, but then stole the box!

Generally we have the opposite problem-- people take things, and leave the empty boxes.  They even made sure to take the masking tape we write the testing date and status on, and put it right beside the item.

Why would anyone do this?

Have you seen this site? http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ca-deathvalleyghosttownscalifornia.html

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2303 on: Yesterday at 08:42:06 AM »
Where did my bank card go??

I know where it used to be, weeks ago. In my pocket. I know where it is now. In my pocket. But I don't know where it has been between then and now. I thought I lost it. I had to get a new one and memorize new numbers. And now it just up and appears back in my pocket where I looked for it before.

Maybe I have been using it too much and it wanted a vacation. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

gmatoy

« Reply #2304 on: Yesterday at 07:52:49 PM »
Where did my bank card go??

I know where it used to be, weeks ago. In my pocket. I know where it is now. In my pocket. But I don't know where it has been between then and now. I thought I lost it. I had to get a new one and memorize new numbers. And now it just up and appears back in my pocket where I looked for it before.

Maybe I have been using it too much and it wanted a vacation. :P

Some pockets can do a "flip" and you think you have checked the pocket, but you didn't get to the bottom. Or at least that is what I tell myself when this happens to me.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2305 on: Yesterday at 09:07:36 PM »
Where did the milk go?

My husband just finished his glass of milk.  Then he went into the kitchen to get more, and he can't find the gallon jug of milk.  Now, he was drinking whole milk, and there are two gallons of fat free milk in the fridge.  But he hates fat free and would definitely have noticed if that's what he drank.  There's no whole milk container in the recycling bin, so he didn't finish it and forget that he'd thrown it out.  It's not in the fridge or in any of the cabinets (I checked in case he put it in a cabinet without thinking about it).  It's not on any of the counters or the table.  I walked around the whole lower floor but I don't see it anywhere.  He'd been sitting at the computer drinking his glass of milk, which he'd filled in the kitchen and then brought to the computer, so I looked around the computer and everywhere in between.  Gone!

This mystery may be solved in a few weeks when it starts to smell.  But it's really, really weird.

(For the record, we don't have any indoor pets and the little ones are all safely asleep, and I don't drink milk nor have I touched it, so there's no chance that anybody else moved it.  Unless the Borrowers moved in.)

Found it!  It *was* in a cabinet, but apparently one I missed when I was looking.  I mostly looked in the lower cabinets, because they have more height to fit a gallon of milk.  I forgot that the one upper cabinet with our drinking glasses has enough height.  And, of course, he'd gotten out a drinking glass at the same time.

snowfire

« Reply #2306 on: Yesterday at 11:04:56 PM »
Where on earth did the insert for the CD changer in MIL's car go??? We are trying to sell her car since she is now in assisted living & I can't find the CD holder.  Spent three hours trying to search the garage. (ARRRRGH!) Spent over 90 minutes at a parts yard trying to find one with no luck.  Finally had to order one on Ebay....which practically guarantees that the old one will show up two days after we sell the car.  ::)

greencat

« Reply #2307 on: Today at 03:46:50 AM »
Where did the milk go?

Found it!  It *was* in a cabinet, but apparently one I missed when I was looking.  I mostly looked in the lower cabinets, because they have more height to fit a gallon of milk.  I forgot that the one upper cabinet with our drinking glasses has enough height.  And, of course, he'd gotten out a drinking glass at the same time.

My brother and I used to do that all the time once we were tall enough to reach the cabinet with the glasses and strong enough to lift the gallon of milk on our own.