Author Topic: Worst Date Ever.....  (Read 92463 times)

Delia DeLyons

Re: Worst Date Ever.....
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
Havent read thru yet, but just wanted to say: Very timely!  Im newly single and @ 26 yo, have never truly "dated" in my adult life... I am excited, but nervous.  Guess this thread wont calm my fears, but at leat I can know, if I have a disaster, Im not alone :)
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
My senior prom I agreed to go with a friend of mine Bill.  Bill was a nice guy, but a little desperate for a date. I'd already had to listen to his stressing over who to ask and being rejected by a couple of other girls.  But when he asked I didn't have anyone else ask me...or so I thought apparently I was supposed to understand that what another friend, John, wrote in my senior memory book was actually him asking me to the prom???    John was upset about this and he already had a bad habit of constantly hovering around me.  Bill and I discussed this and he promised to keep John away if he got annoying.

Before prom, Bill and I went to dinner with a group of friends.  He had told me before that he would pay for my dinner.  We were a bit early, so we browsed in the bookstore next door and Bill found some toy or something that he wanted.  He made a couple of comments about how he would be able to buy it except he was paying for my dinner.  Then at dinner, he made several more comments about how I needed to eat everything since he was paying for it.  It made me feel horrible, but I didn't know what to do.  Then we go to the dance and as soon as we walk in, John walks up to me and Bill walks away.  He didn't dance with me at all.

After prom, we went to the high school were they had a post-prom party that lasted until breakfast.  I barely saw Bill the whole time, even though we had the same group of friends.  I probably would have seen more of him if we hadn't gone together.  After the breakfast, Bill and I and a couple of others went to a friends house to watch a movie.  Bill decided to go home and left, without even asking if I wanted to go.

Asharah

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »
I was now out of school and living on my own.  Once again, this was a set-up (I know, you'd think I'd have learned but since I met my dh through a set-up, I can honestly say they are not all bad).  The friend who set us up gave him my address (which she got lectured about later), so he insisted on picking me up since the restaurant we were going to was so close to my house.  Fine, he picked me up.  Because this restaurant was so close to my house I'd been there many times, and pretty much knew what I liked on the menu and what I didn't like. We get there and are seated.  He insists that the waitress take our drink order while we review the menu and then insists that I must have a diet coke.  I hate diet coke; the stuff tastes vile to me and I'd much rather drink water.  But he kept insisting that I was being silly and it was okay for me to have the diet coke, he didn't mind paying for it.  The poor waitress ended up bringing me both a glass of water and a glass of diet coke (she also rolled her eyes at me during the whole thing so she was pretty cool).  The kicker came, though, when it came time to order.  As I said, I was very familiar with this restaurant and knew what I liked and didn't like, so I knew what I wanted to order before we'd even arrived at the restaurant.  The waitress comes to take our order, he orders his food and then proceeds to order for me, all without even asking me what i wanted!   :o  My attempts to change the order were over-ridden by him, so I excused myself, and left the restaurant after stopping by the cashier's desk to pay the bill (figured I was the one walking out on him, the least I could do was pay the bill).  I then proceeded to walk home.
Might be a good thing you paid. There's a story, possibly just an urban legend, where a woman walked out on her date at a restaurant. He told the waiter he didn't have money to pay the bill, because the woman was supposed to be treating but then decided to "dine and dash." He gave the restaurant the woman's name and address, and she was supposedly arrested and spent the night in jail before the issue was straightened out.
OK I have one. Actually I have a lot, but I will share this one.

BG: I was a giant and awkward nerd in Junior High School. My mother says that I suffered from Ugly Duckling Syndrome. /BG

When I was in Junior High School I was asked to the 8th grade prom by the cutest guy in school. I was over the moon. I convinced my mother that I needed a new dress for the occasion and to get my hair done. My mother agreed, mostly because she was happy that I was happy.
Prom day arrives and I spend all day getting ready. By the evening I was overflowing with excitement. My mother dropped me off at the venue, 8th graders weren't able to drive and my date and I arranged to meet there. I walked in and as soon as I did it got really quiet. (Can anyone imagine an entire grade hushing at one time. It is eerie) I of course in my tweenage mind thought I looked amazing and was having a total she's all that moment. I walked around to find my date. He was at the refreshment table with his arm around another girl. I walked up and said hello. He looked at me and said "Wow you actually showed up? I can't believe you thought I was serious about taking you." I of course immediately burst into tears and ran outside. I called my mother to come get me and she wasn't even home yet. My sister said she would tell her as soon as she walked in.
God would have forgiven you if you had dumped the punch bowl on his head.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:37:31 PM by Asharah »
Asharah

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
"Wow you actually showed up? I can't believe you thought I was serious about taking you."

Too bad you aren't Carrie!  Wouldn't he have been surprised?   ;D

Micah

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »
I have two.

I used to work at a service station in a small town. The service station was the only place open twenty four hours and we also sold basic groceries, some hot food and cigarettes, so we used to get all sorts through there. I used to get asked out and hit on all the time. Not because I'm so awesome, but because generally it was after midnight, they were drunk and I was female. I always said no, until this one guy. He was gorgeous. Tall, muscles in all the right places, amazing green eyes, etc. He asked me out and after I picked my jaw off the floor, I accepted. Because I hadn't dated much, I told him that some friends and I were going to the pub that weekend, so why didn't he meet me there, have a few drinks then maybe go somewhere else together? He was fine with this. After he left I hurriedly rang all my friends (including my boss who was male, but a close friend) and organised the night out.

The weekend arrives. Guy turns up at the pub half an hour after we'd agreed to meet: Strike one. Looks me up and down and tells me he thought I would have worn something that showed off my 'assets' a little better: Strike two. Becomes insanely jealous that my male boss was there and tries his hardest to pick a fight with him: Strike three. This was before my ehell days so I told him to go away and do something anatomically impossible with himself. This didn't stop him from sneaking up behind me and groping me while I was playing eight ball. I actually found out later that he had a girlfriend and three kids.  ::)

Story two.

My boss (not the same one from above) asked me if I was single. I very warily replied that I was and wanted to know why she was asking. She told me she had a single friend I might like to meet. She assured me that he wasn't a psycho and that she was having a BBQ that afternoon if I wanted to come and meet him.

When I got there the guy was already there, but he kept himself hidden in the shed with the other men until about half an hour after I arrived. I was very shy and didn't want to go into a shed with a group of blokes I didn't know. Eventually he came into the house and we sat on the couch together. He would make eye contact with me and only talked in monosylables. After only a couple of minutes he jumped up and rushed out of the house. I was quite offended naturally and was nearly ready to go home, when he came back in. Still without making eye contact he asked I wanted another drink and would I like a game of eight ball. I said yes to both and proceeded to kick his pants in eightball  ;D He started to open up a little more, but I still didn't get the impression that he was really into me.

When I left, I assumed I'd never hear from him again. Well he rang me the next day and asked me out to dinner......We've been together for seven years now and have a child together. It turns out that he was exceptionally shy and liked me so much it almost crippled him. When he jumped off the couch and rushed out, he actually went out to ask a friend to come in a talk to me for him  ??? Friend replied, in fairly crude terms, that if he did all the work he was the one who'd get to play scrabble with me. Poor dear. He really is the nicest person and we are insanely in love still, but I often tease him about our first date.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
Well, with this story ehell gets another peak at My Crazy...

So my mom's parents were very controlling, and she followed suit. I was the first born grandchild and a girl, so there was nothing I did that wasn't monitored. Really- if I was invited to another students birthday party, my mom went too. She also worked as support staff in my school district and always chose assignments in the school I was in.

Finally, I get asked out on a date in my junior year of high school. My first date. He is a friend of my closest friend (whose parents were as hands off as mine were hands on) and he had graduated from the high school the year before. Of course, I told my mother about this and at first she refused to let me go. I begged and pleaded and stomped my foot a few times. She responded that she wanted to go over to his parents home and meet them and check out where he lived. I was not having that, so I told her I would just cancel.

A few days later she suggested he come in to meet her when he picks me up. That, I was willing to do. So I'm all excited, getting ready for my date. Date drives up and knocks on the door. I come out of my room to see him sitting nervously on a chair as my mother pulls an 8x10 copy of his high school year book picture out of her purse, places it on the table and says "I have done a lot of research on you. I spoke to your former teachers and your guidance counselors. I know what your grades were. I know your address and I know your parent's names and where they work. Keep that in mind when you are out with my daughter."

Date assures her that we will be fine. I was, of course, livid. Its one thing to be overprotective. It was crossing the line into using her position at the school to make such a show. That made me feel completely violated.

When we get in the car, Date says how weird it is that she did that. I agree. She asks if she was always like that. I confirmed. He took me to dinner but cancelled on the movie and meeting friends part and dropped me off very quickly. The story spread like wildfire and I didn't go on another date until I moved out of my parent's house.

Okay, I think you win...

CRUD MONKEYS!!  I didn't know we had the same mother.  This could be my first date story except my mother also ran a background check and checked his driving record.  No joke, when he got there she asked him for his driver's license, called PI friend of hers and had him run it before she would let me leave the house.  I have never been so mortified in my life.  ::)  He didn't cancel on the movie part, but he never went out with me again either.  My only saving grace was that he didn't go to the same school as I did.

Also, I learned to meet my dates somewhere instead of having them pick me up at home.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

hjaye

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
Glove slap!  Baby, glove slap!

You know, you just can't beat the classics. :)

I thought of another colorful dating anecdote--not a bad date per se, but an odd one. One of my best friends set me up with a guy she works with--at least, a guy who works for the same business, who she talks to a lot re tech support. Friend is usually very selective about who she sets me up with (this was maybe the third guy in 15 years).

So he and I meet up at a coffee place, where he doesn't order a thing, and I buy myself a beverage of some kind to justify our taking up their space, and he launches into the Trauma Monologue. His opener was the story of how his alcoholic girlfriend died in his arms after refusing to get what turned out to be breast cancer checked out. (He even gave me graphic descriptions of her breast.) Now he feels responsible for this woman's adult daughter, so as soon as she gets out of prison (!) for multiple counts of shoplifting, he's going to take her under his wing and get her straightened out. He's a firm believer that people can start over fresh, because--wait for it--he was convicted of a felony as a youngster. He straightened himself out to the point that he got a high-clearance job with the Dept. of Defense; yes, he had 9/11 stories from his time at the Pentagon.

Finally, after about 90 minutes of highlights from the drama that was his life, we parted with amiable token comments about getting together for a movie. I had managed to force my way into the "conversation" a few times, but he just re-launched. I suspect he was lonely and that made him a big talker, but there weren't even any token questions about me or my life. ("So, Petticoats, what medical traumas have you borne witness to?") Truthfully, he seemed like a nice guy, but... yeah.

I reported back to my fixer-up friend, and she is consumed with guilt. ("I set you up with a felon!") He'd even told her the dead-girlfriend story, and she'd told him not to lead with that.  Aaaand he led with it anyway.
I'm willing to bet most of his stories weren't true.

weeblewobble

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »
Petticoat's post reminded me of my Junior prom.  I went with a guy friend who was much shorter than I am, and it wasn't a problem until halfway through the evening when, after repeated attempts to feel me up on the dance floor and over dinner, he finally stormed off in disgust yelling that I was too dingdangity tall anyway.  

So... you were supposed to shrink on prom night?

weeblewobble

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
His name wasn't George, was it? If so, I may have gone on a date with him in college.

If his name was Jeremy, I think he dated a friend of mine in college. Clearly this is some sort of epidemic
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:46:50 PM by weeblewobble »

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
Not my dates, but a friend's:

She was asked to go see "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" when it came out.  Date showed up in greasy, holey jeans and t-shirt, with his head shaved (this was years before the look was popular).  It turned out that he had been awol and gotten caught, but for some reason they were allowing him to go on the date (his story anyway).  Someone else he knew had to drive them around as his license was taken away for DUI.  The theater they went to was very upscale - and he talked loudly through the whole movie.  The next day he called to tell her that he had had his hair saved from when they shaved his head and wanted to give it to her.  Luckily she didn't hear from him again.

Ok, now mine:

I had met a woman and we had dated casually a couple times.  I asked her if she would like to go to a specific restaurant known for its good food and chef's menu (no substitutions).  I picked her up and we got to the restaurant 15 minutes early.  There is going to be a wait to be seated, so they offer us drinks from the bar - I order a soda, as I'm thinking of having a glass of wine with dinner - she orders a shot of tequila.  Then another since that one was gone pretty quick.

Then they seat us and she looks at the menu.  And there isn't one thing on the menu she wants to eat.  She wants a hamburger pizza.  Which they don't have.  They do not offer any type of pizza.  I ask her if she would rather go to another restaurant where they serve hamburger pizza; she says "no" and orders another shot of tequila.  

The evening was her complaining about the lack of hamburger pizza and yelling at me for taking her to a restaurant that didn't serve hamburger pizza, then ordering another tequila shot because there was no hamburger pizza.  WE stopped dating after that.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »

When I was in  7th grade, I had a boy ask me out in class, right in front of his friends.   I didn't realize until decades later I was the butt of a joke.  Let the record show I was a first class dork.

Funny thing, I didn't want to go out with him and tried to break it to him gently.

In front of his friends. >:D

I had the same thing happen.  Twice.  And it took me about as much time to realize what had happened.   

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »

Funny thing, I didn't want to go out with him and tried to break it to him gently.

In front of his friends. >:D

Ah, karma! Priceless :D

I've never really dated, so fortunately I have no stories of my own, but I'm getting a kick out of these!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
Here's one where I was the Truly Bad Date, just because I love y'all and know you'll laugh and not judge.

Two pieces of background information:

1) I'm not Jewish but I grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood, went to a predominantly Jewish school and spent 4 years going away to a Jewish summer camp so I'm also not unfamiliar with the concept that there are other religions in the world besides mine and I'm at least very familiar with one of them.

2) I'm crazyshy but tend to cover it up by getting loud and abrasive.  Sometimes I wish I were the kind of person that could just be quiet and hide in the background - that would probably be better.

Okay, so I get a call out of the blue from Abraham, who went to grade school with me 30 years ago.  He says that they're having a 30 year reunion for our second grade class (???) and the teacher has been trying to find me for years.  He found my address and thought he'd see if it was really me.  We talk for a little bit, he asks me if I'd like to go to the reunion, and suggests that we go together as he is in the process of a divorce and would really like to see me again.  Apparently he had quite the crush in the long ago.

He came to pick me up, we went to the party, see people I haven't seen in a really long time and it's a nice evening.  Nothing remarkable, but nice.  We spend a little time together, but mostly we're catching up with other people so when it's time to go home and he suggests that we might want to stop at a bar to grab a quick drink, I think it would be kind of cool and we can talk to each other for a little while.  Except that I'm really nervous, so I gun two drinks and manage to now be drunk and stupid.  And I start saying something about how nice it is that he's Jewish.  (I know he's Jewish.  I've known him for thirty years.  I was at his bar mitzvah.)  I have a friend who's Jewish and her dad recently died and I had never been to a Jewish funeral and some of the customs were very different, but the dirt on the coffin thing is something that we have in common because Mexicans do that too and we ended up buying a tree in Israel and...  I basically did everything except the "Some of my best friends are Jewish.  In fact, we used to have a Jewish maid" thing.  And the whole time there's this horrified little voice in my head screaming "STOP TALKING!!!  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW!!!!!" but my mouth is under the control of some alien and will. not. stop.  It was horrifying. 

Yeah, he never called me again.   :-[

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
This wasn't the guy's fault and I hope he's long forgotten the incident.  I found it mortifying and he was the victim, not I.

Actually it wasn't even a date. 

I was at a party and someone brought over a guy to dance with me.  It was obvious why she thought we would make a great couple.

I am very short (and happy to be so) and he was just my size. :-\

Alas, had things worked out, this could have been our song. >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Glove slap!  Baby, glove slap!

You know, you just can't beat the classics. :)

I thought of another colorful dating anecdote--not a bad date per se, but an odd one. One of my best friends set me up with a guy she works with--at least, a guy who works for the same business, who she talks to a lot re tech support. Friend is usually very selective about who she sets me up with (this was maybe the third guy in 15 years).

So he and I meet up at a coffee place, where he doesn't order a thing, and I buy myself a beverage of some kind to justify our taking up their space, and he launches into the Trauma Monologue. His opener was the story of how his alcoholic girlfriend died in his arms after refusing to get what turned out to be breast cancer checked out. (He even gave me graphic descriptions of her breast.) Now he feels responsible for this woman's adult daughter, so as soon as she gets out of prison (!) for multiple counts of shoplifting, he's going to take her under his wing and get her straightened out. He's a firm believer that people can start over fresh, because--wait for it--he was convicted of a felony as a youngster. He straightened himself out to the point that he got a high-clearance job with the Dept. of Defense; yes, he had 9/11 stories from his time at the Pentagon.

Finally, after about 90 minutes of highlights from the drama that was his life, we parted with amiable token comments about getting together for a movie. I had managed to force my way into the "conversation" a few times, but he just re-launched. I suspect he was lonely and that made him a big talker, but there weren't even any token questions about me or my life. ("So, Petticoats, what medical traumas have you borne witness to?") Truthfully, he seemed like a nice guy, but... yeah.

I reported back to my fixer-up friend, and she is consumed with guilt. ("I set you up with a felon!") He'd even told her the dead-girlfriend story, and she'd told him not to lead with that.  Aaaand he led with it anyway.
I'm willing to bet most of his stories weren't true.

I don't know how this all ended but a woman I used to work with came in one day all starry eyed over a guy who claimed to be a secret agent.

I've never been a secret agent but I would think the first rule of Secret Agents is don't go around telling everyone you're a secret agent.  I believe it was her very own "Things That Are Obvious" moment.