Author Topic: Worst Date Ever.....  (Read 88883 times)

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Worst Date Ever.....
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
After the Osama Bin Laden incident, people around here came out on television and were claiming to be navy seals from the area (the SEALs who executed the mission were from this city).

Unfortunately for them, the navy takes these things very, very, very seriously. They tracked these people down and gave them official cease and desist letters with details about the legal ramifications should they ever be found impersonating a government official again. You see, they knew they were lying for two reasons: (1) a real SEAL keeps that fact close at hand, especially with the threat level we are under right now, and would never, ever brag about it on TV and (2) this area keeps a database of all SEALs, EVER to exist. None of these people were on it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could call someone up and say, "Hey! My date is claiming to be a secret agent/SEAL/CIA/NSA/ninja. Could you check the database for me? Thanks!"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:18:17 PM by PeasNCues »
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

lipli

« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:07 PM »
I have more.  I'm just like that. 

When my parents were getting divorced, I was in a group therapy thing (not really therapy more like support - anyways I was 12).  So there was this really cute 12 yo boy in my class.  I really wanted to date him (as best I could at 12).  One night we had pizza and I thought, I'll sit next to him.  I hope you can see where this is going.  I had to sit on a leatherette chair because I had pizza all over my butt and they didn't want me staining the couch.  Mortified to this day. 

This isn't a bad date just a nondate. 

We were in another city a plane ride away for intern training.  So staying in a hotel hanging out with lots of other 22 yo's working for the same company.  Ryan and I had gone to the same school for all 4 years.  I knew him but not well (we had taken classes together but we weren't friends).  Training was two weeks and we had a free weekend in between.  He invited this girl to come to the city to do a dinner theater.  The office we were from was very small so all of us from that office hung out a lot.  All that week he talked about this girl, what he would do with her (not scrabble just where we should go to dinner). 

On Thursday (date was Friday night), he rushes up to me.  The girl had a concussion (something involving a shower).  Regardless, she couldn't come.  He's stressing (and for the next few days he's stalking her facebook to see if she had just stood him up or if she had really gone to the hospital).  He asks me if I would be willing to stand in.  At this dinner theater, you participate and apparently his date had been assigned a female role.  So he couldn't ask the other guy from our office to go with him (he also went to college with us).  I agreed because I had nothing better to do.  I went and had a blast. 

The rest of the summer, Ryan and I went to lunch almost every day when we were on the same job (so about a month). Nothing ever came of it (he moved to France).  But I moved to the city and my office is literally across the street from the dinner theater and I walk by it every single day.  So one day while walking by it, it hit me.  I went out on an unofficial and entirely awkwardly done date with Ryan.  He was and is gorgeous and rich (he's not working in France, he skis) and the student body president.  I was and is nerdy, shy and vaguely anti-social.  I still don't know what happened or why it happened. Everyone who knows Ryan when I tell them this story does the one eyebrow raise. But hey, I got to go out with student body president.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
As a college sophomore I went on a first date with a guy who was in one of my classes.  My sister and mom were over to drop something off and so he met them before we went out.  The entire "date" he talked about how pretty my sister was, and if she was single, and would she date a college guy?  Oh that flattered me to pieces!  

The creepy part of it all is that my sister was only 13!  Even after I told him she was 13 and still in Middle School he still said he would love to date her!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:22:55 PM by Marisol »

Petticoats

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
I don't know how this all ended but a woman I used to work with came in one day all starry eyed over a guy who claimed to be a secret agent.

I've never been a secret agent but I would think the first rule of Secret Agents is don't go around telling everyone you're a secret agent.  I believe it was her very own "Things That Are Obvious" moment.

Maybe he was a retired secret agent? :)

In the case of the guy I was fixed up with, he didn't claim anything more exciting for himself than a tech support position. Plausible.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
I don't know how this all ended but a woman I used to work with came in one day all starry eyed over a guy who claimed to be a secret agent.

I've never been a secret agent but I would think the first rule of Secret Agents is don't go around telling everyone you're a secret agent.  I believe it was her very own "Things That Are Obvious" moment.

Maybe he was a retired secret agent? :)

In the case of the guy I was fixed up with, he didn't claim anything more exciting for himself than a tech support position. Plausible.

LOL, possibly.  She was early 20s, I guess I just assumed he was younger too.   I couldn't stop thinking about the used car salesman in True Lies.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
 I went on a date with a guy who spent the whole time talking about his ex girlfriend  and the fact that he loved her and still had her pictures up in his apartment and that he looked at one every night before he went to bed.  he then invited me back to said apartment for a game of "scrabble" and became upset when i turned him down telling me that I could have been the one to help him finally get over her. One of the weirder this was he later called my and left a message  talking about what a great time he had on our date and asking me out again

Shay

LazyDaisy

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
I went on a date with a guy who spent the whole time talking about his ex girlfriend  and the fact that he loved her and still had her pictures up in his apartment and that he looked at one every night before he went to bed.  he then invited me back to said apartment for a game of "scrabble" and became upset when i turned him down telling me that I could have been the one to help him finally get over her. One of the weirder this was he later called my and left a message  talking about what a great time he had on our date and asking me out again

Shay

I've been on so many dates like this. What IS it about people talking about exes on dates? Nothing good can be had from it. If they slam on their ex, they end up looking like a bitter whiny child and who wants to date that? And if they talk about how much they miss them and wish they were still together, well, why are they on a date with me?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

hjaye

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

Shay

I've been on so many dates like this. What IS it about people talking about exes on dates? Nothing good can be had from it. If they slam on their ex, they end up looking like a bitter whiny child and who wants to date that? And if they talk about how much they miss them and wish they were still together, well, why are they on a date with me?
I'm afraid I was guilty of this once.  I was going through a divorce with my first wife, and it was a difficult time for me.  We had been separated for over a year when I decided I was ready to go out and start dating, but I guess I wasn't quite there yet.

I met this lady through Parents without Partners and we hit it off.  I got her number called her and we went out on a date.  We went out to eat and then to the movies.  I called her the next day to tell her I enjoyed our date and asked her if she would like to go out again.  She told me she would like to go out again, but only one on condition, I shouldn't talk so much about my ex (or soon to be ex, the divorce was not yet final).  I was embarrassed because I did not realize I had talked so much about her, I did apologize and she agreed to go out with me again.

It was kind of ironic because the next time we were going to go out it turned into a non date.  Since it was a second date and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable, I told her I would meet up with her at a dance club where PWP was having a get together. (We had done that on the first date as well, I met her at a Mexican restaurant, and the movie theater was right across the parking lot from where we ate.) 

A little background here.  The first night we met we were at a C/W dance club.  I was talking with some friends and one of my friends knew her and introduced me.  We all started talking and she was telling us how upset she was with a guy she had been dating.  He was a member of PWP and was there that night, and he was completely ignoring her, acting like he didn't know her.  They weren't necessarily exclusive, but they had been seeing a lot of each other, so I could see where she would be put out with him with the way he was acting towards her. 

When we went out on our first date, she did mention that she was not seeing this guy anymore and that was about the extent of it.

So the night we were supposed to meet up for our second date, I got to the club around 7:00pm and start looking to see if she had arrived, there she was sitting at a table with about five other people, sitting next to the guy she said she wasn't going to see anymore. She said hi, but it was obvious she was with the guy,  so I hung out for about thirty minutes shooting pool and drinking a few beers and then I left.  I felt kind of stupid.

A month or so later I was out again with some friends at PWP and this woman was there, she wasn't with anyone and she came up to me and said come on lets go dance.  I politely declined.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
Glove slap!  Baby, glove slap!

You know, you just can't beat the classics. :)

I thought of another colorful dating anecdote--not a bad date per se, but an odd one. One of my best friends set me up with a guy she works with--at least, a guy who works for the same business, who she talks to a lot re tech support. Friend is usually very selective about who she sets me up with (this was maybe the third guy in 15 years).

So he and I meet up at a coffee place, where he doesn't order a thing, and I buy myself a beverage of some kind to justify our taking up their space, and he launches into the Trauma Monologue. His opener was the story of how his alcoholic girlfriend died in his arms after refusing to get what turned out to be breast cancer checked out. (He even gave me graphic descriptions of her breast.) Now he feels responsible for this woman's adult daughter, so as soon as she gets out of prison (!) for multiple counts of shoplifting, he's going to take her under his wing and get her straightened out. He's a firm believer that people can start over fresh, because--wait for it--he was convicted of a felony as a youngster. He straightened himself out to the point that he got a high-clearance job with the Dept. of Defense; yes, he had 9/11 stories from his time at the Pentagon.

Finally, after about 90 minutes of highlights from the drama that was his life, we parted with amiable token comments about getting together for a movie. I had managed to force my way into the "conversation" a few times, but he just re-launched. I suspect he was lonely and that made him a big talker, but there weren't even any token questions about me or my life. ("So, Petticoats, what medical traumas have you borne witness to?") Truthfully, he seemed like a nice guy, but... yeah.

I reported back to my fixer-up friend, and she is consumed with guilt. ("I set you up with a felon!") He'd even told her the dead-girlfriend story, and she'd told him not to lead with that.  Aaaand he led with it anyway.
I'm willing to bet most of his stories weren't true.

Hey!  Are her initials L.D.?    This girl I knew told me her boyfriend worked for the CIA.   Or was it the FBI?    I innocently asked why, if he was a secret agent, did he work at the meat packing plant? (under horrible reeking, backbreaking working conditions). She said it was his "cover".

Heck, if I needed a cover job, I'd go work at a Hallmark store at the mall.   It smells nicer. :-*

MyFamily

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
After the Obama Bin Laden incident, people around here came out on television and were claiming to be navy seals from the area (the SEALs who executed the mission were from this city).

Unfortunately for them, the navy takes these things very, very, very seriously. They tracked these people down and gave them official cease and desist letters with details about the legal ramifications should they ever be found impersonating a government official again. You see, they knew they were lying for two reasons: (1) a real SEAL keeps that fact close at hand, especially with the threat level we are under right now, and would never, ever brag about it on TV and (2) this area keeps a database of all SEALs, EVER to exist. None of these people were on it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could call someone up and say, "Hey! My date is claiming to be a secret agent/SEAL/CIA/NSA/ninja. Could you check the database for me? Thanks!"

Wow!  That is Darwinism at its worst!  There are people out there who want to kill those SEALS and/or their family members; admitting to be a SEAL right now is really stupid and doing it on tv where some idiot who isn't smart enough to realize that they weren't really SEALS and might just follow those instincts - that is really stupid.  Of course, you also have to wonder how intelligent the people at the stations were to actually believe that these people were really SEALS.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
He looked at me and said "Wow you actually showed up? I can't believe you thought I was serious about taking you." I of course immediately burst into tears and ran outside. I called my mother to come get me and she wasn't even home yet.
When I was in  7th grade, I had a boy ask me out in class, right in front of his friends.   I didn't realize until decades later I was the butt of a joke.  Let the record show I was a first class dork.

I still don't know if it was a joke or a real crush that his friends took advantage of, but my 8th grade yearbook is littered with my male classmates writing about how much Derek likes me.  Derek himself just wrote something plain and nice.  I always felt like the other boys were making fun of me. 

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »
This happened back when I was in college.  My sorority and our brother fraternity were invited to a formal that was being put on by another chapter.  It was being held in a city about 1.5 hours from our school, and a group of my friends were getting hotel rooms.  I'd been on an internship during the fall semester, so I didn't find out about it until I came back to school in January.   I had just a couple of days to decide if I wanted to go and to find a date, so I asked Chad, one of our frat brothers who had also been on an internship.  

The day of the dance came and Chad was driving me and another couple.  While waiting for the others in the car, he mentions that he has started dating Leslie, one of my sorority sisters.  Leslie was also going to the formal that night, without a date, and was staying in the same hotel room as Chad and I.  I didn't have a problem with them dating, Chad and I were just friends, but I wanted to go to the dance with someone, so I'd have someone to dance with.  Instead I felt like a 3rd wheel.  It felt real great to get all dressed up and have your "date" completely ignore you and tell the girl next to you how pretty she is.  

What made it even worse was getting back to campus and finding out from my roommates that they had already known about Leslie and Chad, but didn't warn me.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »
After the Obama Bin Laden incident

Erm... you might wanna fix that. ;)
The status is not quo!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »

LMAO so sorry!! Can't edit on my phone though!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »

LMAO so sorry!! Can't edit on my phone though!
That is like the worst thing about phone posting...no edits.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas