Author Topic: Worst Date Ever.....  (Read 88861 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Worst Date Ever.....
« Reply #615 on: August 14, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
Jezebel has a weekly competition for readers to submit their worst story along a particular theme (worst encounter with a wild animal, worst roommate) and this was the one for worst online dating story:

http://jezebel.com/your-online-d@ting-horror-stories-1597154142  <-- copy and paste the address and replace the "@" with an "a" to get a functional link.

Scroll down to the bottom of the comments and make sure to click "View all Replies" then go back up to the start of the comments and begin reading from there, because there are some doozies hidden deeper in the comments section that don't show up on first load.

How have I been interneting since back when everything was just words on a black screen, yet I never knew this existed?! Thanks to archives, I'll never be bored again!  ;D

This is how I found Etiquette Hell -- I was searching for "dates from hell" stories.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #616 on: August 14, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
High school was one of the worst periods of my life. I wouldn't go back for millions of dollars.

POD!  I got a good education, and that's in spite of the bullying and other horrors of high school.  I want nothing to do with those people.

Make that trillions and I still wouldn't go back.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #617 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »
I love this thread! So many cringe-worthy stories.
In high school my two closest friends were prettiest/most sought-after girls in school and I always felt like their big lumbering friend. Both of them were about 5'2-5'3 and very slender/petite while I was 5'10 (which I'm happy with now but in high school I always felt like I was taller than 80% of the guys in school). I was pretty used to being ignored by guys in high school when my friends were around but a time or two it was particularly awkward and upsetting.
I transferred schools and I was asked out on a date by a guy from one of my classes. I really didn't know anyone and I think it was a bit of a relief to be asked out because I thought the guy was nice and it seemed like a good opportunity to meet people. I had a bit of a crush on him in class and I was flattered he asked me out. He suggested doing a double-date, which was fine so I invited my friend from my previous high school.
When the guys came to pick us up, my date took one look at my friend and for the rest of the "date" he and his friend (who was my friend's date) sort of competed for her attention, asking her questions, telling jokes and just sort of ignoring me. And then when we got to the place for our date... my date paid for her and not me. It was pretty humiliating. Then some other random guys came up and started talking to my friend and the two guys got mad. I felt like I was awkwardly trailing after some weird high school version of the bachelorette.
My dating life improved after high school.

squashedfrog

« Reply #618 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:56 AM »
Ouch Cali in uk!  That's harsh!  What did your friend do?

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #619 on: October 06, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
Ouch Cali in uk!  That's harsh!  What did your friend do?

She wasn't exactly flirting back but not really deterring the attention either. I think in hs most people are not at their best so even though I wasn't exactly thrilled with any of them (her included) at the time I did eventually get over it. She also changed for the better in college.

rosegirl

« Reply #620 on: October 11, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
A guy once told my BFF, "I'd go out with you if you lost 20 pounds".

Her response was, "I don't want to go out with you now.  Why would I go out with you if I lost 20 pounds?"

I think my reply would have been, "I'd go out with you if you grew a brain"!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #621 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
This isn't really a worst date.  This is the story of the Date That Will Never Happen.
A friend of mine that I used to work with joined the company where I work now, and it's been over a year that he's been here. Our work lives do not intersect in any way (very big company).   Anyway, on his floor is a very nice guy that I've seen around, and my friend has decided that this guy and I would make the perfect couple.  He introduced us, and the other guy was pleasant, and that was it.  Nothing.  You would think that if a guy was interested in a girl, he'd at least contact her, right?  My friend says that he's shy and I should contact him.  Okay, I'm not adverse to that, so I write him an email about something we have a mutual interest in.  He says thanks and that's it. Nothing else. Not a word.

This stalemate has been going on for nearly a year.  My friend is pushing me to 'think outside the box and ask him on a date'.   Uh.....no.    For the record, I am in my mid-50s, not some dewy 20-year old, and the other guy is hardly young either(although younger than I am).    If he's interested in me, he can blamed well *ask me out*.  As it is, he won't even talk to me.  No IM, no email, nothing.   He's obviously not all that interested, but my friend insists that he is. 
And that's where it stands.   I'm not pushing, and he's not pushing.  I'm simply not interested in a guy who doesn't have the balls to even IM me with a 'good morning'.   
But my friend is still nagging.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #622 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
This isn't really a worst date.  This is the story of the Date That Will Never Happen.
A friend of mine that I used to work with joined the company where I work now, and it's been over a year that he's been here. Our work lives do not intersect in any way (very big company).   Anyway, on his floor is a very nice guy that I've seen around, and my friend has decided that this guy and I would make the perfect couple.  He introduced us, and the other guy was pleasant, and that was it.  Nothing.  You would think that if a guy was interested in a girl, he'd at least contact her, right?  My friend says that he's shy and I should contact him.  Okay, I'm not adverse to that, so I write him an email about something we have a mutual interest in.  He says thanks and that's it. Nothing else. Not a word.

This stalemate has been going on for nearly a year.  My friend is pushing me to 'think outside the box and ask him on a date'.   Uh.....no.    For the record, I am in my mid-50s, not some dewy 20-year old, and the other guy is hardly young either(although younger than I am).    If he's interested in me, he can blamed well *ask me out*.  As it is, he won't even talk to me.  No IM, no email, nothing.   He's obviously not all that interested, but my friend insists that he is. 
And that's where it stands.   I'm not pushing, and he's not pushing.  I'm simply not interested in a guy who doesn't have the balls to even IM me with a 'good morning'.   

I'm with you! Either your friend is mistaken and Dude isn't looking to date, or your friend is correct but Dude is so shy that he can't even return the friendly banter you initiated. Either way, that's a no.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #623 on: October 23, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »

In my experience, if you do get together with a guy like this, you'll be doing all the work in the relationship for as long as it lasts.  It's dispiriting to be with someone who makes no effort to please or entertain you, even if he insists that he wants to be with you.

I've had two boyfriends like this.  The breakups were excruciating, and both suddenly found the energy to stalk me and badmouth me to mutual friends.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #624 on: October 23, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

In my experience, if you do get together with a guy like this, you'll be doing all the work in the relationship for as long as it lasts.  It's dispiriting to be with someone who makes no effort to please or entertain you, even if he insists that he wants to be with you.

I've had two boyfriends like this.  The breakups were excruciating, and both suddenly found the energy to stalk me and badmouth me to mutual friends.

I agree - I had one like that and it got really tiring to be the person doing all the work. But when we broke up no stalking or badmouthing - he at least just went away. But now I have a rule - if you can't be bothered to ask me out then you aren't interested enough in me.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
The problem with that view is that if he should also subscribe to it, no one would ever ask anyone out. It calls back to "men choose, women have the right of refusal" view, reinforcing gender stereotypes. I prefer "if you can't be bothered to show interest, I am not interested."

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #626 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
The problem with that view is that if he should also subscribe to it, no one would ever ask anyone out. It calls back to "men choose, women have the right of refusal" view, reinforcing gender stereotypes. I prefer "if you can't be bothered to show interest, I am not interested."

The entire world doesn't need to subscribe to the view - it's my dating life and i get to decide that I want someone who shows me that they are interested in me and who I don't have to chase down just for a date. Other people can decide they don't want someone who asks them first, or they might not care either way. That's the fun of a love life - it doesn't have to be a universal rule - it just has to work for you.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #627 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »

I would have no problem at all asking him out sometime, if he had shown even the slightest interest in getting to know me.  We work in the Same Building, Every Day, and have for years.  We have very similar interests.  If he'd given the slightest hint of interest in me, I'd have run with it.  But nothing.  Not so much as a 'good morning'.   There's Nothing There.  The only hint I've ever had in his interest is my friend telling me 'he's perfect for you'.    Do you see what I mean??   

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #628 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
I think some people are simply not compatible.  I am not interested (and wasn't when I was single) in the vast majority of people out there!  It says nothing about the other people and everything about compatibility.  If someone isn't interested, well, so what!  If someone shows no interest, I assume that person is not interested.  I think I may have asked my DH out the first time, but it was obvious to me he wanted to see me (he may have asked, I don't recall exactly, just that it was clear that the interest was going both ways).  It's not a matter, to me, of gender roles but rather mutual interest.  Actually, I cannot think of a time I was interested in someone who was not interested in me....probably because I find friendly flirting to be very attractive and tend to not be interested in someone who is not interested in me!

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #629 on: October 23, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

The entire world doesn't need to subscribe to the view - it's my dating life and i get to decide that I want someone who shows me that they are interested in me and who I don't have to chase down just for a date. Other people can decide they don't want someone who asks them first, or they might not care either way. That's the fun of a love life - it doesn't have to be a universal rule - it just has to work for you.

Where did I say that you had to change? I stated a consequence of your line of thought but you are welcome to conduct your life the way you see fit. That is the fun of a conversation - we get to understand how other people think.

When you started off your statement with "the problem with..." it pretty much implies you think that my opinion is wrong and should be changed. I apologize if I took it the wrong way but I did take your entire statement as a disapproval and criticism of the way I think.