Author Topic: Worst Date Ever.....  (Read 82739 times)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: Worst Date Ever.....
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
wow! I'm feeling very blessed the only guy I dated is now my DH. lol!

:-[ I agree; and I hope DH never dies or divorces me so I have to figure this stuff out!

Same here. I never casually dated. I pretty much went from 0 to relationship with my ex boyfriend (we'd met online, hung out a few times as friends, then went straight to relationship), and never had an awkward date with DH because we'd been friends for years beforehand.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
When I was 21, I was "fixed up" (most likely as a bad joke) with this one guy.  He said he was 26, but later admitted he was 36.

He also dressed like Herb from WKRP in Cincinnati.  He liked pro wrestling (This was in the days of Haystack Calhoun).  And oh yeah, he lived with his mother.

There was just something dark and creepy about him.  I was a botany major at the time and he kept referring to me as a "farmerette".

This wasn't a bad date, he just had a creepy vibe.

And since truth is stranger than fiction, he is now the agent for a major no talent bad boy in show business. 

PM me and I'll tell you which star.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Hmm. Which one do you want to hear about?

The guy who left me at my junior prom because his girlfriend said he had to be home by 10:30?

The guy I dated for 2 months who told me over beers that he couldn't see me anymore because, due to his profession, he could only "afford to be seen with gorgeous women"? Did I mention that he himself resembled a troll of some type?

The guy who showed up TWO DAYS LATE to take me out for dinner for my 24th birthday, who went on to explain that he was late because he'd been high on cocaine and couldn't remember what day it was?

But Cathy, you are gorgeous.  ???

Thank you. ;)

Tell that to the egomaniac from KQ92. :D

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »

The guy who left me at my junior prom because his girlfriend said he had to be home by 10:30?

The guy I dated for 2 months who told me over beers that he couldn't see me anymore because, due to his profession, he could only "afford to be seen with gorgeous women"? Did I mention that he himself resembled a troll of some type?

The guy who showed up TWO DAYS LATE to take me out for dinner for my 24th birthday, who went on to explain that he was late because he'd been high on cocaine and couldn't remember what day it was?

But Cathy, you are gorgeous.  ???

Thank you. ;)

Tell that to the egomaniac from KQ92. :D

One would wonder why anyone, gorgeous or not, would want to be seen with him?   Wouldn't it ruin their reputation?

"Hey Martha!  Wasn't that "The Egomaniac" I saw you with Saturday?  Did you lose a bet?" ::)

booklover03

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
I haven't had any really horrible dates, but I have been caught off guard on a date. I was 21 and he asked me to dinner. He seemed like a nice enough guy, so I said yes. We go to dinner, had good food and decent conversation and when he was asking for the bill he looked at me and said, "You're paying for yourself, right?". I probably shouldn't have assumed he'd pay even though he had asked me to dinner, but I was still a bit shocked. Thankfully, I had cash on hand and it wasn't a problem, but I was kind of uncomfortable.

Was I wrong to assume that because he asked me out to dinner he'd pay?

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Been trying to work up the energy to type out the entire saga of my worst date.

Maybe I'll get to it later.  Loving these posts, however -- unbelievable what some people think is acceptable dating behavior!

- saphie
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:23:43 PM by starsaphire »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
@Minbear03  ~~  Since he specifically asked you to go to dinner with him (as opposed to "Do ya' wanna' go somewhere and get something to eat?") I think your assumption that he intended to pay was what most women would have assumed!!  I'm glad you happened to have enough cash on you (always a good idea just in case things get dicey) but I do have to wonder what the expression on his face would have been if you had said "Well, no.  I thought you were treating me!"

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »

Go on...

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I haven't had any really horrible dates, but I have been caught off guard on a date. I was 21 and he asked me to dinner. He seemed like a nice enough guy, so I said yes. We go to dinner, had good food and decent conversation and when he was asking for the bill he looked at me and said, "You're paying for yourself, right?". I probably shouldn't have assumed he'd pay even though he had asked me to dinner, but I was still a bit shocked. Thankfully, I had cash on hand and it wasn't a problem, but I was kind of uncomfortable.

He asked you.

Shame on him!

I'll bet he didn't have many second dates.

LeeLee88

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
First me: After dating a guy for a little bit, we went on our 5th date or so to a restaurant, where he told me he wanted me to drop the idea of going to college because his wife wouldn't need a college education in order to stay home and raise his 4 or 5 children.  His take was that women should be at home with their children, and that any kid who didn't have that would grow up to be a nutter.  Well, his mom worked, so I guess it must be true, in his case  ::).  He was shocked that I refused to even see him again.

Now my poor mother:  When my dad first came to pick my mom up, my grandma walks up to him and says, "Show me your teeth."  Dad: "Excuse me?"  Grandma: "You can always tell a good horse by its teeth, now show me your teeth."  Luckily, my father understood that my mother was nothing like her parents, and married her despite the possibly-genetic crazy that ran through the family.  Oh, and grandma didn't get to see Dad's teeth, either  ;).

LazyDaisy

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 01:38:26 PM »
Shortly after I finished ordering dinner on a first date, my date's whole demeanor suddenly changed from nice and talkative to sullen and silent. I asked him what was wrong several times since I couldn't think of a thing in the conversation that would have upset him. He refused to answer and stopped looking at me; just ate the chips and salsa. I have a pretty good spine so the next time the waitress walked past, I told her to change our order to go and bring the check please. I had every intention of getting my dinner, paying my half and calling a cab (unfortunately I let him pick me up at my apartment never again on a first date). He suddenly grinned and told me he was just "testing me" to see how I would react  ::) and went back to being nice and talkative. Just then the food was served (on plates instead of to go) and the waitress did leave the check; I figured it would take longer and be more trouble to get the food boxed and wait for the cab, so I ended up staying to eat dinner and let him drive me home, but that was our only date. He was shocked when I refused any more dates because he said I passed his test and he thought we'd had a terrific date.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

CakeBeret

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
I've only ever been on one date other than with my DH. I was 14 at the time, very quiet, and very very naive. The guy was 19, and in retrospect, he only asked me out on a date because he thought I would be an easy target. :-X To this day I still think my mother should have questioned the movies of a 19 year old guy wanting to take out a 14 year old, but she didn't because he was a 'good church boy' ::). The guy drove to a secluded spot and tried to get me to make out with him, but I froze up and rebuffed him. So he then decided that we should go to the mall and walk around, as teenagers tend to do. I mentioned food several times, and he kept saying he wasn't hungry. I have blood sugar issues, and it took me getting dizzy and nearly passing out for him to agree to get dinner. We were discussing where to eat and he said it would have to be cheap, so I suggested a Mexican place where you could get good food for $5 a plate. No, he said, that was too expensive. He had only brought $4, so I needed to pick something cheaper.

We ended up at one of those pizza-by-the-slice places, where he bought himself two slices of pizza and I paid for my own. After all the bullhockey he'd pulled that day, he didn't even have the courtesy to buy me a $2 slice of pizza.

On a nicer note, I ran into him at a church function 3-4 years later, and he apologized sincerely for his behavior.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

booklover03

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

He asked you.

Shame on him!

I'll bet he didn't have many second dates.

No, he did not. I'm definitely not the type of gal who expects people to pick up my tab. When dh and I were dating there were times I'd tell him I was treating him since he usually picked up the tab. I wanted let him know I appreciated him, but this guy asked me and then pulled this stunt. I was not impressed.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »
Shortly after I finished ordering dinner on a first date, my date's whole demeanor suddenly changed from nice and talkative to sullen and silent. I asked him what was wrong several times since I couldn't think of a thing in the conversation that would have upset him. He refused to answer and stopped looking at me; just ate the chips and salsa. I have a pretty good spine so the next time the waitress walked past, I told her to change our order to go and bring the check please. I had every intention of getting my dinner, paying my half and calling a cab (unfortunately I let him pick me up at my apartment never again on a first date). He suddenly grinned and told me he was just "testing me" to see how I would react  ::) and went back to being nice and talkative. Just then the food was served (on plates instead of to go) and the waitress did leave the check; I figured it would take longer and be more trouble to get the food boxed and wait for the cab, so I ended up staying to eat dinner and let him drive me home, but that was our only date. He was shocked when I refused any more dates because he said I passed his test and he thought we'd had a terrific date.

I really, really hate the "I was testing you to see how you'd react!" thing that people do on dates, or to their SOs. My ex boyfriend did stuff like that all the time. Like he'd decide he wasn't going to answer his phone all day, just to see if I'd get worried about him and call repeatedly to check on him. Or he'd tell me that he had some serious illness just to see how I'd react.

Smitty

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
Shortly after I finished ordering dinner on a first date, my date's whole demeanor suddenly changed from nice and talkative to sullen and silent. I asked him what was wrong several times since I couldn't think of a thing in the conversation that would have upset him. He refused to answer and stopped looking at me; just ate the chips and salsa. I have a pretty good spine so the next time the waitress walked past, I told her to change our order to go and bring the check please. I had every intention of getting my dinner, paying my half and calling a cab (unfortunately I let him pick me up at my apartment never again on a first date). He suddenly grinned and told me he was just "testing me" to see how I would react  ::) and went back to being nice and talkative.

Perhaps he was "testing" to see if you would respond to the silent treatment with "Why aren't you talking? What's wrong? Did I do something? Are you mad at me? If I did something to upset you, I'm really sorry. Please talk to me!" Good for you for not putting up with his b.s. Although, since he asked you out again, it seems that he wanted you to call his bluff. But why would he think that a woman that wouldn't put up with the silent treatment would put up with being "tested" like that? His behaviour is just inexplicable  ???