Author Topic: Spoiler tags  (Read 1440 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Spoiler tags
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »
Not sure if this should go here or not, so go ahead and move it if needed.

It took me a while to figure this out, so I thought I'd share.  Perhaps something like this has been posted before, but I haven't seen anything like it, which means maybe other EHellions haven't, either.  I think this will work as an effective spoiler tag for all color schemes, AND it should be readable just by highlighting (that might depend on your computer's or browser's settings, though).  I have poor eyesight, and I can manage it, though I'm sure some people will still have to hit "quote" in order to read it in the text box.  Anyway, do this, but change the <> to square brackets; if you don't want to type out the code, you can just use the glow and change color buttons up at the top and change them to beige and white.  I chose white for the text because it's probably the hardest to read; beige still comes through when I use that for text, though it's not easy to read, either:

<glow=beige,2,300><color=white>Spoiler/TMI/whatever here</color></glow>

Here is some sample spoiler tagging.

I've seen black-on-black suggested, but on my computer, highlighting that to read doesn't work at all.  White-on-beige seems to provide just enough contrast that it can be read when highlighted.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Spoiler tags
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
I can read it without highlighting...

If the 2,300 number is significant, would increasing it make it more difficult to read?

(I've set my background to blue.)

Don't get me wrong!  I love the idea but this one doesn't work on my computer.    :-\
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »
I can read it without highlighting...

If the 2,300 number is significant, would increasing it make it more difficult to read?

(I've set my background to blue.)

Don't get me wrong!  I love the idea but this one doesn't work on my computer.    :-\

I can read it without highlighting, too, but I have to try.  It's not that it perfectly disguises the text, but that if anyone wants to read it, they have to do so intentionally.  Or can you see it really easily?  If so, feh.  I am irritated.  It works really well on my computer.

ETA:  I think the numbers have something to do with the height of the glow.  But I don't know.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
Something similar was discussed here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=86317.0 and it turns out that it's very difficult to find a way of making invisible text that'll work in all browsers and with all colouring schemes.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice