Author Topic: The Modern Wages of Notable Public Rudeness  (Read 5179 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: The Modern Wages of Notable Public Rudeness
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
My vote is that she chose to act this way in a VERY public space, so she should have to deal with the consequences, whatever they may be.
The status is not quo!

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »
I do have issues with the current idea that anyone is fair game if they're in cell phone camera range.  I believe people should have the right to reasonable privacy even if they're out and about as long as they're minding their own business.

However, as much as I may disagree with it, the reality is that what constitutes "out in public" today is quite a lot bigger than what it was even ten or fifteen years ago.  Then the only ones who would ever have known this had taken place would be the passenger, the conductor, the fellow passengers, and whoever they told and the incident would have faded away.  Now, it's available for viewing all over the world and it's a little part of history.

It's a cautionary tale, isn't it?

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
I do have issues with the current idea that anyone is fair game if they're in cell phone camera range.  I believe people should have the right to reasonable privacy even if they're out and about as long as they're minding their own business.

However, as much as I may disagree with it, the reality is that what constitutes "out in public" today is quite a lot bigger than what it was even ten or fifteen years ago.  Then the only ones who would ever have known this had taken place would be the passenger, the conductor, the fellow passengers, and whoever they told and the incident would have faded away.  Now, it's available for viewing all over the world and it's a little part of history.

It's a cautionary tale, isn't it?

A great book to read is Caroline Kennedy's The Right To Privacy.

It's very informative.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
I wish I had seen the beginning of the incident. I have no way of knowing how out of line she was.

Also, I think it was unfair that they said she "berated" the conductor. Berating means she scold or condemn. To me it seems she was more just sticking up for herself (in the most obnoxious way possible). But she didn't say anything negative about the conductor, or belittle her in anyway. She was more just saying "I know how to behave because I'm educated: so I wouldn't have done anything that deserves this treatment". But it was poorly executed.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
But she didn't say anything negative about the conductor, or belittle her in anyway. 

End of the clip... It isn't as loud of the rest, but she clearly dogs on the conductor for not having a great job and being "educated". I can't remember the exact words, but there is stuff there.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
Here's hoping H.R. learned her lesson, or else she's going to end up shooting off her "well-educated" mouth at the wrong person and get her rear-end kicked into next week.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
I'm glad cell phones were not around when I was young, stupid and arrogant.  (That's opposed to being middle-aged, aware of at least some of my stupidity and convinced that the right answer is usually somewhere between the extremes.)

Seriously, the woman in the video was acting like a fool.  And yet I shudder to think of some of the things I said and did when I was convinced I had all the answers.  I know I have more than one incidence where I was mouthy.   :-[ And occasionally I was in the right, but a video snapshot rarely tells the whole story.

So while I think this woman was wrong, and I believe she needs a serious attitude adjustment, I don't think she needs to suffer the rest of her life for it.  Everyone deserves a chance to learn from their mistakes.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
I don't think this is a modern problem. It used to be that if you misbehaved everyone in your circle would know about it and there was potential for shunning. As people have become more annonymous our ability to share their bad behavior has also increased. Our world has in some ways shrunk because we're connected to more people, with all the good and bad that entails.

I do believe that if you are minding your own business in public it would be rude to film you, but if you're acting out you should probably accept that as a consequence.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
As with anything, a cell phone camera is just a tool. 

It allows the carrier to be a witness, and to transmit/share what that person saw. 

Sometimes, the effects are good.  Sometimes, less so. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.