Author Topic: Miami Heat SS's??  (Read 5771 times)

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
Re: Miami Heat SS's??
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
 I think it's unfair to say they shouldn't have been in the lobby in the first place. That's like saying other celebs shouldn't dare go outside thier homes to go to the grocery store. Sometimes, you HAVE to go into public. I understand that there is no expectation to privacy in public places but is a private hotel considered "public". Even if it's the lobby, which almost anyone can walk into, this wasn't the Holiday Inn. The teams management likely picked this hotel because there was a minimum garauntee of privacy to the players. I don't think that the bodygaurd was polite, but it's also not  his job to be polilte. I don't condone it but I don't necassarily condemn it either, even though on an ehellion I probably should. It's his job to protect his players. And I don't necassarily blame the Heat. The team manager hired the gaurd, not the team. The team themselves likely had no say in it whatsoever.

The woman taking the picture was also incredibly rude. I don't like this culture that just because they are celebs its okay to be impolite and take their picture without permission. We don't treat regular fok like that so what makes it okay in this situation? It may be "legal" but that doesn't make it polite. Yes, with being a celeb there comes certain annoyances, like paparazzi, but in that moment, they weren't being "celebs". And the woman wasn't paparazzi. If they were running around in thier jerseys playing hoops in the lobby I'd be less sympathetic, but they weren't. They were just trying to get to thier hotel rooms.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:18:10 PM by Sabbyfrog2 »

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
I know that this is skating on legal territory, so I won't post the link here, but I found a fascinating article on what looks like a reputable source on this topic. My earlier thoughts were both right and wrong.

PM me if you want the link.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
I always considered getting your picture taken whenever your in public to be the price you paid for making squillions of dollars to be an actor/singer/pro-athlete.
The status is not quo!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
I think that the Heat were not being SS to ask (or have their employees ask) that photos not be taken, although I do think it was SS to go so far as to delete already taken photos (not to mention the legal issues with that).

The part of this story that really jumped out at me is that the friend of the OP was there for a job interview at a hotel. If I were interviewing her, and happened to see her go for her camera when high-profile clients came through, she wouldn’t be getting the job. (Granted, we don’t know what she was interviewing for, but) I think most any hotel position that might deal with high-profile clients would be looking for someone who can show some sort of respect for the privacy of the guests—meaning the employee would not go for their camera after realizing the clients’ well-known status.

immadz

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
I think a hotel lobby is actually a private space, as it owned by the hotel itself. As such the hotel staff can request no pictures of their other patrons.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »
i'm still trying to figure out why the Miami Heat would be in Dallas today for the Dallas Mavericks victory parade and celebration?

it's pretty unusual for the defeated team to show up for the victor's victory celebration.  was LeBron there?

gollymolly2

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
i'm still trying to figure out why the Miami Heat would be in Dallas today for the Dallas Mavericks victory parade and celebration?

it's pretty unusual for the defeated team to show up for the victor's victory celebration.  was LeBron there?

I think the OP said last week.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

I think the OP said last week.

ah, gotcha.  it also makes sense to remember that last week the series was very close, so probably not a good time to talk to them, depending on who won the previous night.  probably a "know your audience" thing.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
I think a hotel lobby is actually a private space, as it owned by the hotel itself. As such the hotel staff can request no pictures of their other patrons.

Even if that's so, the hotel staff weren't the ones asking demanding.
The status is not quo!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Personally, it sounds like the typical thuggery that has invaded professional sports as almost a mark of honour. No contract between the Heat and any sponsor would have an effect on third parties who are not participants in that contract. If they don't want their pictures taken, there are certain fashion statements (veils and such) that they could use when out in public, rather than relying on assaulting their fans.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Personally, it sounds like the typical thuggery that has invaded professional sports as almost a mark of honour. No contract between the Heat and any sponsor would have an effect on third parties who are not participants in that contract. If they don't want their pictures taken, there are certain fashion statements (veils and such) that they could use when out in public, rather than relying on assaulting their fans.

Why should they have to resort to wearing veils? That seems a bit extreme to me. Again, celebs are people too. And yes, they make gazillions to do what they do but they are still entitled to and expected to behave in the the same polite behaviour that everyone else is. A hotel lobby doesn't count as a public enough space for me to make taking thier picture okay.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
A hotel lobby doesn't count as a public enough space for me to make taking thier picture okay.

Out of curiosity, why not? I mean, it's a space that is open to the public, so I don't understand why it would be considered more private than the street outside.
The status is not quo!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »

Why should they have to resort to wearing veils? That seems a bit extreme to me. Again, celebs are people too. And yes, they make gazillions to do what they do but they are still entitled to and expected to behave in the the same polite behaviour that everyone else is. A hotel lobby doesn't count as a public enough space for me to make taking thier picture okay.

Have you ever been in a hotel lobby, and inadvertently had your picture taken by a fellow tourist? If so, were you entitled to seize their camera until all offending photos were deleted? THAT is "extreme" to me.

The players don't *have* to wear veils. But if their image is so important to them that they assault people for trying to capture it in public - people who are the fans who pay their salaries - they should either learn to live with the inconvenience, stay out of the public eye, or quit and take up jobs where they will be treated as non-celebrities.

They cannot claim the benefits of fame, and expect none of the drawbacks. And if their sponsors think that the public will, for the sponsor's sake, refuse to take any photos except those specifically authorized by the sponsor, they have a very poor understanding of the fans to whom they are trying to sell product.

I agree that squealing and running after celebrities with your pocket camera is undignified, and rude. But that rudeness should not be met with abuse back.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

melicious

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
The fans don't pay their salaries entirely, and even so that doesn't mean they earn the right to violate their privacy. But I agree that the bodyguard was unnecessarily rough.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
The fans don't pay their salaries entirely, and even so that doesn't mean they earn the right to violate their privacy. But I agree that the bodyguard was unnecessarily rough.

How is it a violation of privacy to snap a photo of someone out in public?
The status is not quo!