Author Topic: Miami Heat SS's??  (Read 6257 times)

melicious

Re: Miami Heat SS's??
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I know this is a tad off-topic and varies from location, but does this law apply to upskirt photos? (i.e someone takes a picture up a woman's dress while she's going up the stairs in a public place). As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there are currently no laws against this.

Maujer

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »
I was thinking back and I know that I've been in places where I've seen someone take a picture and security has told them to delete the picture and stood next to the picture taker until they saw them do so. That would probably be a better policy, though I guess there's always a chance the photographer could refuse.

The only people I've seen actually take the camera out of the hands of the photographer to a delete a picture have been police officers.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
I know this is a tad off-topic and varies from location, but does this law apply to upskirt photos? (i.e someone takes a picture up a woman's dress while she's going up the stairs in a public place). As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there are currently no laws against this.

Most places now have some sort of law about taking "indecent" pictures. In which case, deleting the photos would be a bad idea, since it's destroying evidence. Although "hand it over, or I'll call the cops," would be effective, I suppose.

If there are no laws against taking a type of photo, then you can't legally demand that people delete them, unfortunately. You can ask, but I'm sure that sort of person isn't going to simply comply.

Going back to the case in point, security authorized by the hotel could ask you to delete the pictures or leave. But they can't just force people to hand over their property without proper authority.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »
As a Cleveland Cavaliers fan, I have a special hate for the Heat.  That being said..... It may be legal to take those pictures, but this is an etiquette board and I find it rude to take a picture of anyone without their permission.  If I were on vacation and taking a picture of say a monument, and other tourists happened to be in the picture, I wouldn't feel the need to ask their permission or find it rude, but I would not go up to a person and specifically take their picture without asking.  When I was in Williamsburg, I asked the costomed interpreters if it was OK to take their pictures.  Maybe not strictly necessary, but it seemed like the nice thing to fo.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
As a Cleveland Cavaliers fan, I have a special hate for the Heat.  That being said..... It may be legal to take those pictures, but this is an etiquette board and I find it rude to take a picture of anyone without their permission.  If I were on vacation and taking a picture of say a monument, and other tourists happened to be in the picture, I wouldn't feel the need to ask their permission or find it rude, but I would not go up to a person and specifically take their picture without asking.  When I was in Williamsburg, I asked the costomed interpreters if it was OK to take their pictures.  Maybe not strictly necessary, but it seemed like the nice thing to fo.

Re the bolded: Exactly! Just because something is legal doesn't make it any less rude.
It's completely legal for me to call someone a witch but it doesn't make it any less rude to do so.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »

The difference, however, is between a regular "lay" person, if you will, and a celebrity. I don't see them on equal footing. I would not get all up in a celebrity's face or be insistent on taking their picture, but I disagree that the very act of taking a celebrity's picture is rude. I guess I consider that part of the gig at times.

Everlee

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
I don't really see the OP as doing anything wrong.  She stayed in the spot she was originally in and just got her camera and snapped a picture.  As long as she isn't physically impeding the team in any way I don't feel that the bodyguard had any right to snatch her camera out of her hand.  Honestly, I don't believe anyone has a right to snatch anything from you if you're not doing anything wrong. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:56 PM »
The bodyguard should have asked the woman's name, taken a picture of her without her permission and then had the celebrity post it online. With the caption "This woman is Suzy Jones, at the Crescent Hotel on <whatever date>. I gather she was waiting for a job interview, when she took pictures of me after being asked not to. Hopefully the hotel will not hire someone like her. Shout out to the fans that do respect my privacy, though. You guys rock." 

Wittyone

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
The bodyguard should have asked the woman's name, taken a picture of her without her permission and then had the celebrity post it online. With the caption "This woman is Suzy Jones, at the Crescent Hotel on <whatever date>. I gather she was waiting for a job interview, when she took pictures of me after being asked not to. Hopefully the hotel will not hire someone like her. Shout out to the fans that do respect my privacy, though. You guys rock."  

Why would this be okay to do?  Would you not find this rude?  

There is no way the bodyguard or celebrities would know the OP's friend was waiting for a job interview.  The only reason we know is because the OP said so.  And while we can conjecture all we want on the wisdom of a potential employee snapping pictures of guests it would be extremely rude/detrimental to the woman's future for a celebrity to do this.  He would come off as really mean-spirited.  

As PP have said part of being a celebrity is getting your picture taken/being recognized when out in public.  Most people who pull out their cameras just want to document their brush with fame.  Some people do make money off of it, but they aren't doing anything wrong, so long as they aren't actually invading a space where privacy can reasonably be expected, such as a home, or hotel room.  Out in public is fair game.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:19:11 AM by Wittyone »
California

Lauren

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
I grew up with women who went on to represent my country at sport and while they didn't get as many requests as men, they did occasionly have people come up and request a picture. One of my closest friends best memories is a little girl completely losing it when she met her at the supermarket.

Taking a picture of a man who is making millions of dollars to play sport is not rude. Some things come with the job.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »
In the 1970's my teacher was on board an aeroplane with KISS and they had on no make-up (that was a big thing in the 70's before they were unmasked!).  My teacher said a lady took a photo of them and a big bodyguard got up and took the roll of film out of her camera, got her details and said he would send the shots back to her without the unmade-up KISS band one.  Pity that can't be done anymore.

Slightly off topic but does anyone have any insight into why this woman would take a photo of these people, who she didn't even know?  I do not understand the cult of celebrity and this is just another example which confuses me.  She didn't even know who they were.  I totally agree with Its good to be queen - this woman showed poor etiquette skills.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »

That didn't happen. No where in the OP did it say she was asked not to take pictures.

When you become famous, you make some tradeoffs. People are going to take pictures of you in public. In return, you get paid insane amounts of money. The woman in the OP was completely unobtrusive and did nothing wrong. The body guard was way out of line.

Slightly off topic but does anyone have any insight into why this woman would take a photo of these people, who she didn't even know?

It's quite possible that she has friends or family members who are fans and who would like to see the picture.
The status is not quo!

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
In the 1970's my teacher was on board an aeroplane with KISS and they had on no make-up (that was a big thing in the 70's before they were unmasked!).  My teacher said a lady took a photo of them and a big bodyguard got up and took the roll of film out of her camera, got her details and said he would send the shots back to her without the unmade-up KISS band one.  Pity that can't be done anymore.

Slightly off topic but does anyone have any insight into why this woman would take a photo of these people, who she didn't even know?  I do not understand the cult of celebrity and this is just another example which confuses me.  She didn't even know who they were.  I totally agree with Its good to be queen - this woman showed poor etiquette skills.

You cannot do this legally.

Just can't. :(

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

Why do people stand in line for autographs by authors, when the book will otherwise contain exactly the same words? Why do people pay bizarrely high prices for paintings by artists who are "names", when paintings that are just as appealing languish, because their creators are not well known?

There's something about saying, "I was in the presence of greatness, and here's my record of it".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Everlee

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Why do people stand in line for autographs by authors, when the book will otherwise contain exactly the same words? Why do people pay bizarrely high prices for paintings by artists who are "names", when paintings that are just as appealing languish, because their creators are not well known?

There's something about saying, "I was in the presence of greatness, and here's my record of it".

True, true.  It's just neat to say you've seen someone that other people know of.  I am a huge indie music fan, so a lot of the concerts I go crazy about are of bands no one's heard of before.  But those pictures of me and the musicians are some of my favorite things! 

My husband looveesss the Heat (seriously, there are no words for how obsessed he is), while I could care less, but I would be all excited and try to take a picture of them for him if I had the chance.