Author Topic: It just started to cook!  (Read 5354 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
It just started to cook!
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
I make my special taco meat every now and then. I just put it into the crock pot an hour ago and the whole house smells like it. I haven't eaten very much today and it's making me a bit mad. How can uncooked beef smell so good?

Also, question just to make sure. I usually use chuck roast for this, but no market had it for less than $5 a lb. That's absurd.

One store had very large, very marbled sirloin steaks on sale for $2.50 a lb so I used that. Do you think after 12 hours in the crock pot it will pull apart?

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: It just started to cook!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:18:14 AM »
I find that pretty much any cut of beef will tenderize perfectly in the crock pot.  The only time I've had a problem was when I cooked a large roast and didn't give it enough time (like, seven hours or something).  Twelve hours should be more than sufficient.

Also, I HATE that about slow cookers.  All those wonderful smells for hours and hours.  I do a lot of crock pot cooking.  It's definitely good practice for self-control!

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Spoder

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
Oooh, yum! I agree, the temptation is a killer.

However, I think you have forgotten the Golden Rule (which I just made up now) of posting about home-cooked food: recipe, please?  :P :)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
The meat fell apart perfectly! So now I had to shred it this morning with no breakfast. It's amazing I didn't eat half of it.

Here's the recipe. Large crockpot -

about 6 or 8 lbs of beef, usually chuck, but I guess you can do it with Top Sirloin now too. Whichever is on sale: I usually buy two decent size chuck roasts, this time I used three large top sirloin
1 Lg Onion
3 or three medium tomatoes (or how many you have on hand)
1 bunch cilantro
1 bulb garlic
1 jar salsa
2 small can diced chilies

Salt & Pepper beef, cover heavily in cummin (you can not be heavy handed enough with the cummin)
Throw in a handful or two of crushed red pepper

Cook 12 hours on high.

In the morning shred the beef, I usually use two pans, one for shredding and to keep the fat and veggies in and one to put the "cleaned" beef.

Strain the juices. At this point I taste and usually add more cummin and some granulated garlic. Poor juice over beef.

Now this is the important part. Freeze it. The freezing and reheating softens the meat even more and allows it to really suck up the juices.

It usually takes about 4 hours to reheat it from the frozen state, Serve however you like your meat- crispy tacos, or flour tortillas for burritos.

I've been told that this taco meat is better than the barbacoa from Chipoltle (I'm not sure about that)  and I've had both kids and adults beg me to make it. Our 14 year-old nephew from France, ate it straight from a bowl, when I told him he needed to put it in a taco or burritos said there was no reason to pollute it with the anything else.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
Now for the salsas recipe:

canned tomatoes
fresh tomatoes
garlic (lots of)
cilantro
1 or 2 fresh red cayenne pepper (this is important it's the pepper that makes the taste)
onion

Put in blender and blend. Add salt & pepper and a dash of sugar to taste.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Ooooh I am SO bookmarking this. That sounds wonderful.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
That sound delicious, I think I can smell it also.  I will be making this soon!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
I think I love you.  Chipotle is a regular expense I can no longer justify, but I would gladly live on nothing but barbacoa.  Thank you!

Utah

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
I think I love you.  Chipotle is a regular expense I can no longer justify, but I would gladly live on nothing but barbacoa.  Thank you!
I'm sad for you.... :-[
But then again, there is NO Chipotle where I live!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »

Oh, I'm SO sad for you.  Just thinking about it makes me hangry.  I used to eat there once a week; I'd grab a burrito while I waited for the bus to take me to work.  Now we go every few months. 

It's enough.  Just enough.  For now.

Utah

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

Oh, I'm SO sad for you.  Just thinking about it makes me hangry.  I used to eat there once a week; I'd grab a burrito while I waited for the bus to take me to work.  Now we go every few months. 

mrs JWine, your baby is TOO cute!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the caption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »

mrs JWine, your baby is TOO cute!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the caption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.  She is also hangry most of the time.  :)

(I really should update; she's over a year older now)

Utah

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

Thanks.  She is also hangry most of the time.  :)

(I really should update; she's over a year older now)

I'm pregnant. My miniHollanda is hungry ALL the time. All OK apart from When. I. Want. To. Sleep. Then it's like...ok raid the fridge...at night...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................cheese!!!!!!!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

smidget23

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
This sounds so amazingly yummy!
Flair/Flare is very confusing. Even for authors.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »
I just started drooling reading your recipe! Sounds yummy and will definately try it out!

Don't Tread On Me!!!!!