Author Topic: Things that make you go hmmmm...  (Read 1984 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Things that make you go hmmmm...
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
What is the weirdest thing you have seen today? Oh let me start, because this took a double take.

The blind covering the window by my computer desk has a "cat window" in it. The cats broke off a small section of 2 slats so they can look out the window. I see 3 shadows walk by, and hear someone dragging something.

I look out, expecting some kid to be dragging "something", instead, I see a lady walking a dog, with a man behind her pulling a trash can. One of those wheeled trash cans.

All I could think of was,  okay.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
Re: Things that make you go hmmmm...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Maybe the dog is a healthy pooper?

wyozozo

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
Okay I saw this at a gas station today. Picture this if you will:

One very overweight woman.
One pair of very, very, very short shorts. (so short the bottom of her tukus showed)
Did I mention they were short?
Extreme case of cellulite.

You may now thank me for that visual.

Reuth

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

I have been out and about today, but haven't seen much weird stuff going on. I guess the most notable thing I saw were two signs reading "TAGE SELE". And they were on the side of the road by a field, with no tag sale in sight.

wyozozo

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

I have been out and about today, but haven't seen much weird stuff going on. I guess the most notable thing I saw were two signs reading "TAGE SELE". And they were on the side of the road by a field, with no tag sale in sight.
That's because it was a TAGE SELE!!! I wouldn't know one if I saw one!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
Not strange, but quirky just the same.

I was buying my groceries and the store was a bit busy. 3-4 people per line, so actually not as bad as it can be.
Our store sometimes has horrible lines.

The person behind me was commenting that for once, the lines weren't too bad and we were commiserating about how awful it some times gets.
He made a comment about the quality of the management and I countered with something more tactful.

Then he cracked a (polite) joke.
I gave him one back.

And for the rest of the transaction, we were trading silly jokes ie "What do you call a deer that can't see? No eye-deer." (Say it aloud and you'll get it.)

The cashier was snickering and it was an odd, funny moment with a total stranger.

As he left, the man said "You're really funny. You must be from the Maritimes."  :)
"Sorry, always wished I was, but born on the other coast."

And we went our separate, smiling ways.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
Picture this...

6'4" at least, baseball cap on sideways, t-shirt and possibly cotton pants, but not jeans, and maybe 160 pounds, so a beanpole, so to speak. Covering this he is wearing a full length fur coat, on someone a good 6 to 8 inches shorter than him, and female. If he was trying to look like a pimp, he missed it by several miles.

This in itself wouldn't have been so bad, but it was like he was trying to flaunt that he was wearing a fur coat. All he managed to do was get several snickers from cashiers, and quiet laughter from customers. 

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

That's because it was a TAGE SELE!!! I wouldn't know one if I saw one!

Hey!  Quit making me laugh! :-*

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Picture a scrawny unshaven unshowered guy wearing a wrinkled and possibly stinky shirt with a pattern that clashed horribly with the brightly colored swim trunks and sandals.

This was my step father for about three days once. Yes, he wore that, for three days.

The story behind it.  We were camping, and got our car stolen while all his luggage was still in it.  We were at the beach so the swim trunks, dirty clashing shirt and sandals. At the beach it made sense, heck at the campsite it was ok, but by day three as we were driving through Utah, it was starting to get rather silly.

So when you see weird stuff like that,  there could be a reason.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »
My 16-square block walk from work to transit is 2 blocks wide by 8 blocks long, and some of the blocks are dodgy, so there's a limit to the variety of routing which is possible.

I took one of the variations, though, and spotted a piece of paper in the window of a parked car.  Written on the paper?  "Knife Fight Crew"

Behind it were a personnel trailer (about 4 rooms, and two bathrooms) and two RV's.

I don't know what movie or video or television show has a knife fight scene by (I assume) the San Francisco Transbay Terminal, but apparently one does.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »
Picture a scrawny unshaven unshowered guy wearing a wrinkled and possibly stinky shirt with a pattern that clashed horribly with the brightly colored swim trunks and sandals.

This was my step father for about three days once. Yes, he wore that, for three days.

The story behind it.  We were camping, and got our car stolen while all his luggage was still in it.  We were at the beach so the swim trunks, dirty clashing shirt and sandals. At the beach it made sense, heck at the campsite it was ok, but by day three as we were driving through Utah, it was starting to get rather silly.

So when you see weird stuff like that,  there could be a reason.

I grew up in a resort area, this is normal attire.

Reuth

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
There is a lady on my block who is probably in her 50s, and I believe she is Japanese, who walks around all the time extremely dressed up - usually in a kimono - often with a big festive hat. Whenever I drive by her, she smiles and waves. I'm not sure what she's doing, wandering around all the time like that. I've wondered if she is some sort of very strange prostitute. The door of her house is usually covered with postcards and pictures, too.

Gyburc

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:25:17 AM »
Oxford seems to attract The Weird. There's the chap from one of the libraries who dresses like Sherlock Holmes (deerstalker and all), and the rollerblading monk, although I haven't seen him for a while. And there's a very sweet elderly lady who wanders from bus-stop to bus-stop singing made-up songs about Jesus.

And then of course, there are these people (http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wychwood/index.shtml). DH and I feature in some of the pictures...

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
There's a man round here who wears a very odd version of German/Austrian/Swiss tracht (I suspect that it is a mishmash of all three). Always the same outfit, it never varies. It includes a silver headed walking stick- the head is about the size of a knobkerrie! Whilst he himself is a bit unkempt and unshaven, his outfit is always spot on.

This is in NE England, in a relatively small village.
NE England

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Not too long ago I was standing in line to pay for a container of milk and a loaf of bread.  It wasn't a long line but it was one of those things in which you leave a space for other shoppers to pass. 

A young woman got in line right in front of me.

"Excuse me, Miss.  The end of the line is back there."

"Oh, I didn't know."

That doesn't seem odd until you learn that the line-jumper is a 'Psychic' whose office is next door to the shop.  Her sign says that she knows all and sees all.  However, her sign also says that she reads 'Taro' cards.  No, the final 't' did not fall off.  The sign was written that way.