Author Topic: Messing with your recipes -- Tell your stories  (Read 60653 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Messing with your recipes -- Tell your stories
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
Somebody altering my recipe?  Doesn't really bother me, unless they try to blame me for their alterations not working out.

Altering an entire dish I've made for dinner or brought to a pot luck?  Prepare for wrath.

I was at a friend's place for a party.  She'd made chili and stew as the mains and the rest of us brought apps, sides or desserts.  Another friend tasted both and immediately started doctoring them (with ketchup and mustard).  Seriously?  If she'd tried to do that to me, we probably wouldn't be friends anymore.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Forget substituting. I'm not a good enough cook to get the desired results when I follow the recipe exactly.

I still do follow the recipe exactly, in hope of something turning out well sometime.
Words mean things.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
I brought my always requested baked beans to a Fourth of July party and put them on the stove to reheat.  When I checked them a bit later I was shocked to see that someone had added a ton of onions to them.  I looked around in surprise and another guest said "I added those-onions make everything taste better!"

a)  Who does that??

and b)  my husband is allergic to onions.  So yeah, thanks for that!

I'd be tempted to make a comment about how now ___ can't eat it and just dump it.  But then, I'm not big on food tampering.

Reuth

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
Somebody tampering with food at a potluck could be dangerous, too. What if they added an ingredient that someone was allergic to, but unlike the onions, it wasn't something you'd see?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
There was a long previous thread on this subject:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=43182.0

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

booklover03

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Forget substituting. I'm not a good enough cook to get the desired results when I follow the recipe exactly.

I still do follow the recipe exactly, in hope of something turning out well sometime.

I'm the same way. If someone gives me a recipe, I follow it to the letter. Cooking is not one of my strong points.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
I don't have anybody trying to pass off my recipe as their own, but I do have a meddler.

Each year for his birthday and fathers' day, my dad asks me to cook Swedish Meatballs or Beef Stroganoff. Every year for her birthday and mothers' day, my mom asks me to make Maple-Ginger Salmon or Bacon-Wrapped Quail. Every Passover, I prepare everything for the Seder. Every Thanksgiving I do everything but make the yams (mom does it best!). I love cooking as much as my parents love eating my cooking (and having dinner at a reasonable hour) and while I was at home, this was my responsibility 5-6 nights a week. This does not sit well with my 20 year old little sister.

When I left home, she took on the responsibility of making dinner most nights a week and somewhere along the line decided she was a good cook. She really isn't. Not that she couldn't be, as she is excellent at following recipes to the letter, but she likes to experiment without any regard for how food actually cooks or how spices work together. In the past 7 years, I have (at her request) tried to teach her, and my mother has tried to teach her, but she seems absolutely opposed to actually learning anything...like how to use a meat thermometer (or common sense) so you don't overcook. Chicken is not meant to be powdery, and there is no need to stick boneless, skinless breasts, uncovered, with no sauce, in a 450 F oven for an hour and 45 minutes. Everything gets done on high heat, until it's bone dry. Cumin goes places no cumin should ever be. Like in the Swedish Meatballs I made last night.

The past couple of years, every time I cook for my family, I have to be on guard against her "help". Usually I catch her and can repair the damage. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes I'm foolish enough to accept it. This past Thanksgiving, I asked for her help chopping onions for the stuffing. I always cut them into largish chunks because my other little sister doesn't like cooked onions and this makes it easy for her to pick out. I explained this. She minced them (cause she likes onions and our other sister doesn't have to have any if she doesn't want it ::)) I ended up dicing a different onion and setting the other aside for omlettes the next morning. Then, she offered to go baste the turkey for the final time while I took a load off (I'd been on my feet for 5 hours straight doing stuff around the house). While she was basting, she decided I was cooking it on too low a temp, so up she cranked it. I didn't catch it for 45 minutes and the white meat was pretty dry on the edges. When I started carving and saw what had happened to my lovingly roasted bird, I was a little put out, but she'd been trying to help, right? Then she says "VB, why is the turkey so dry this year?" She sounded so innocent, I couldn't tell if she was being deliberately dumb or not, but I still had to excuse myself for a couple of minutes so I wouldn't snap at her. She is so smart about most things, but somehow she can't wrap her head around the idea that this is my rodeo, or that things are cooked a certain way for a reason and that she SHOULD NOT mess with it.

Last night, I'd finished browning the meatballs and had started my sauce. She offered to help and I asked her to stir while I got the potatoes on to boil (It's stirring, for crying out loud. Just keep the spoon moving!). My back was turned for a second and she asks to taste it. I hand her a fresh spoon. I hear her say "Hmmm". I hear the cupboard opening and turn around to find her stretching to reach the cumin on the top shelf. Cumin is awesome. It is not awesome in Swedish Meatballs.

New rule. When I cook, you stay out. I don't care if you want to help. Please set the table instead. No arguments.
Utah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
I think adding/eating/excessively commenting on things when you're doing the cooking is horribly rude. 

However, if you gave someone a recipe and they decided not to follow it exactly, I don't see why that any of your business?
If it is changed by them, is horrible because of that and they say that it is my recipe, I would be embarrassed, if nothing else.  :-[
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JustEstelle

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
A couple of times I witnessed someone messing with dishes that my mother prepared and took to pot luck lunches.  Mom was a member of a ladies' group that met once a week to work on craft, eat lunch together and gossip.   ;D  During summers, when I was off from being a student or teaching, I would attend with her.  Most of these ladies were our neighbors and I'd known them all my life.  They were all sweet little old ladies.

One lady wasn't all that good at the crafts part, so she took it upon herself to get the meal laid out, tea prepared, etc.  Everyone was responsible for bringing a dish (or two) to share, so there shouldn't have been much for this woman to do in the way of food prep - just take things out of the fridge, heat up what needed to be heated up, and set everything out with serving utensils handy.

Once my mother made a beautiful home-made fruit cobble (can't remember right now if it was peach or plum, as both were awesome and she had easy access to either fruit from our fruit trees).  She made her cobbers like a giant pie, with home-made, rolled-out crust on both the bottom and top, and the top crust would be sprinkled with sugar before baking.  Quite a lovely dish, if you ask me.  Food Lady liked her cobblers all mixed up, so when we went to the buffet to fill out plates, there was Mom's cobbler, with the lovely top crust all mixed up in the fruit and juice.  A real soggy mess.  When asked what happened, Food Lady said, "Oh, I stirred it for you.  I like it that way."  Mom and I both kind of lit into her, I'm afraid, and told her that not everyone likes their cobbler all stirred up like that and that she could have waited until she'd dished herself up a serving and then stir her own serving.

Another time, Mom took slices of fresh cantaloupe out of our garden.   At serving time, all of the cantaloupe was covered with a thick layer of black pepper.   :'(

Food Lady:  "Oh, I like pepper on mine, so I peppered it for you."

Mom:  "I.do.not.like.pepper!"

After that, when I attended with Mom, I would go help Food Lady and guard our dishes like a hawk to keep her from tampering with them.

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
I have a recipe for chocolate brownies that is out of this world.  It is a combination of 3 other recipes and some serious tweaking over a period of years.  It requires butter, heavy cream, and a combination of 4 different types of chocolate.  It is hideously expensive to make, but oh so very, very good! After a disastrous potluck I now have an ironclad policy of never, ever,ever giving out recipes that I have personally created.

My friend told me she was bringing my brownies.  I reminded her that the recipe could not handle substitutions of any kind; and one of the ingredients was fairly hard to find.  No problem. We get to the potluck and I see the 'brownies'.  :'(  I knew immediately she had messed with the recipe.  One of my friends grabbed one up, took a huge bite, and with a horrible grimace, swallowed.

"What on earth did you do to the brownies?!"  I took a cautious nibble of his brownies.  Oh my stars!  I said "well, there's shortening instead of butter, sweetened condensed milk instead of cream, I *think* this is a mixture of chocolate chips and carob chips instead of the usual chocolate mixture and I have no idea where the coconut came from.  I didn't make them."

And the friend who had made them yelled at me because they didn't turn out right?!

Reuth

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
It requires butter, heavy cream, and a combination of 4 different types of chocolate.

Uh, YUM.

Secret

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
I warn all of you now that my gramma takes recipes from books and such and sends them into the recipe magazines as her own.  She will take a receipe, change some ingredient units slightly and submit them as her own- Without even trying them first.

She asked me what was in something of mine and I told her- she then said she was going to send it into the magazine that was looking for 5 or fewer ingredients.  I told her it belonged to Cuisinart and she said that it doesn't matter. Sigh.  I usually avoid giving her my recipes because I don't like her taking my recipes and passing them along as her own, but she tricked me this time.

booklover03

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
I have a recipe for chocolate brownies that is out of this world.  It is a combination of 3 other recipes and some serious tweaking over a period of years.  It requires butter, heavy cream, and a combination of 4 different types of chocolate.  It is hideously expensive to make, but oh so very, very good! After a disastrous potluck I now have an ironclad policy of never, ever,ever giving out recipes that I have personally created.

My friend told me she was bringing my brownies.  I reminded her that the recipe could not handle substitutions of any kind; and one of the ingredients was fairly hard to find.  No problem. We get to the potluck and I see the 'brownies'.  :'(  I knew immediately she had messed with the recipe.  One of my friends grabbed one up, took a huge bite, and with a horrible grimace, swallowed.

"What on earth did you do to the brownies?!"  I took a cautious nibble of his brownies.  Oh my stars!  I said "well, there's shortening instead of butter, sweetened condensed milk instead of cream, I *think* this is a mixture of chocolate chips and carob chips instead of the usual chocolate mixture and I have no idea where the coconut came from.  I didn't make them."

And the friend who had made them yelled at me because they didn't turn out right?!

Seriously, who would alter a recipe with butter, heavy cream and 4 different types of chocolate? It sounds heavenly!

JakStat

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
I'm amazed at these stories of people "helping" the whole batch of someone else's cooking!  I've never had it happen, and I'm a little stunned.  One doesn't add a little paint here and there to an artists work because they think it needs a touch more blue, and one doesn't season the chef's dish! 

As for following recipes, I am "pinch of this, dash of that" cook, so I rarely give out recipes, nor follow them precisely.  My standard for using someone else's recipe is that if it is a disaster, then either I make it clear my "experiment" failed or I don't claim it as so-and-so's recipe at all, but if it is lovely, then aren't we all so lucky so-and-so shared it?

Right.  It comes off as "Vorfemme didn't want to give up her secret recipe, so she selfishly gave me the wrong one."

Even admitting that you didn't follow the recipe makes it sound like the people who write reviews on cooking sites: "Well, I didn't have any half-and-half, so I used skim milk, and nobody in my house likes lemon, so I left out the lemon juice, and it was the worst thing I've ever made!"

I love reading those reviews, for just that reason!  I can't decide which is funnier, the type that go "I substituted olive oil for butter and chicken for lamb and oregano for fennel and rice for pasta, and it was awful!" or the ones that go "I made major changes to this recipe, by substituting large elbow macaroni for small and using 16 extra grains of salt, and it was much better that way."

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

Seriously, who would alter a recipe with butter, heavy cream and 4 different types of chocolate? It sounds heavenly!

We're anonymous, we won't sully your good name...

*puppy dog eyes*