News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 09:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Messing with your recipes -- Tell your stories  (Read 97451 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Messing with your recipes -- Tell your stories
« Reply #435 on: October 30, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
And try not to make them on a humid or wet day, you're just asking for failure.

Going to make pavlova this Christmas. I'm making it Christmas Eve and leaving it in the oven all night to cool.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #436 on: October 30, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
Right out of high school a friend of mine asked me how to make tacos. She was going to make dinner for her boyfriend. I told her, brown ground beef, list of spices (I actually probably suggested she buy a premade spice package), shred lettuce, grate cheese, chop tomatoes, etc.

She did things a little different. She wasn't much of a cook. When she realized she didn't have ground beef (she still lived at home and didn't do grocery shopping, this was *right* after graduation), she saw breakfast sausage and decided it was good enough. But her mom buys maple flavored breakfast sausage. Also, she didn't remove the casings. She didn't have any chili powder, but Paprika is red, so that should work, right? She substituted kale for the lettuce and didn't have cheese, so she grabbed the bottle of powdered Parmesan cheese.

He ate it. It was an act of True Love and Heroism in the face of Tears. Sadly they didn't make it. But she did end up marrying his brother, and she still hasn't lived that dinner down
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

doodlemor

« Reply #437 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
Meringues don't HAVE to be made in a metal bowl.  They can be made in glass, ceramic, or even plastic bowls.  The most important thing though is that the bowl is 100% free of any oil or residue.

Absolutely true.

Years ago, cooking magazines recommended that egg whites be whipped in a copper bowl.  Here is the chemistry behind it:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/copperbowl.htm

I don't think that I've seen that suggestion for a long time.  My google search for the info, though, turned up a number of copper bowls for sale.  There must be a lot of people who use them for their egg whites.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #438 on: October 30, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
Meringues don't HAVE to be made in a metal bowl.  They can be made in glass, ceramic, or even plastic bowls.  The most important thing though is that the bowl is 100% free of any oil or residue.

Absolutely true.

Years ago, cooking magazines recommended that egg whites be whipped in a copper bowl.  Here is the chemistry behind it:

I don't think that I've seen that suggestion for a long time.  My google search for the info, though, turned up a number of copper bowls for sale.  There must be a lot of people who use them for their egg whites.

Copper is metal :D

eta: Copper is the BEST metal for whipping whites because of the reasons listed in the link.  However, all metal has some kind of reaction with whole eggs/yolks/whites.  For example, you never want to heat eggs in an aluminum pot, because it will turn them green.  You also don't want eggs to sit in a metal bowl, because it will start to denature i.e. cook the eggs. Stainless steel is the least reactive, but will still start denaturing the protein if left long enough
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:59:47 PM by PastryGoddess »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #439 on: October 31, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
I always make meringues in a plastic bowl (Pavlova FTW :) ). I've never had any problems with it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #440 on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:39 AM »
I have a metal and a Pyrex bowl with high sides, good for hand mixers.

veryfluffy

« Reply #441 on: October 31, 2013, 07:02:10 AM »
When I make meringues, I first pour a tablespoon of vinegar into the bowl and wipe it round with a bit of kitchen paper.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #442 on: October 31, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
When I make meringues, I first pour a tablespoon of vinegar into the bowl and wipe it round with a bit of kitchen paper.

Since I often seem to have half a lemon lurking in my fridge I like to slice of the end and wipe the cut area around the inside of the bowl .  Same principle I guess.

cwm

« Reply #443 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »

Absolutely true.

Copper is metal :D

eta: Copper is the BEST metal for whipping whites because of the reasons listed in the link.  However, all metal has some kind of reaction with whole eggs/yolks/whites.  For example, you never want to heat eggs in an aluminum pot, because it will turn them green.  You also don't want eggs to sit in a metal bowl, because it will start to denature i.e. cook the eggs. Stainless steel is the least reactive, but will still start denaturing the protein if left long enough

Wouldn't this be the most effective way to make green eggs and ham?  ;)

Okay, another one from high school. Mom was dutifully chopping onions for something later that day, and right as she was done, I was going to do some slice and bake cookies. I came in and asked her for a knife to cut the cookies. So she handed me a knife, I cut the cookies, and life was grand.

When the cookies came out of the oven, they were beautiful and golden on the edges, soft inside, and I couldn't wait to taste them. I took a bite...and had to spit it right back out. It tasted VILE. I wondered how cookies from a tube could possibly taste this bad. So I took a bite from one on the other end of the other cookie sheet. It was off, but not as bad.

I called mom in to try them. She took a bite and asked me why I had put onion powder on the cookies. I gave her a confused look and said "I didn't, I just cut them and baked them."

She got a look of horror on her face when she looked at the dirty dishes and realized there was only one dirty knife. Yes, she had handed me the knife she'd just used to chop onions to slice the cookies with. The whole batch went straight to the trash and she bought me replacement cookies.

Moral: Apparently, with my mother you always have to specify that you want a CLEAN utensil for something.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2013, 02:24:02 PM »
Moral: Apparently, with my mother you always have to specify that you want a CLEAN utensil for something.

Sadly, this sounds exactly what I'd run into with DH.  He wouldn't think twice about handing me something for a sweet that was just used on something like onions, garlic or the like.  He also doesn't understand the concept of clean.  Seriously.  I've learned to double-check if something is *my* interpretation of clean (we're not talking "Monica Geller" clean but "washed with soap and water" clean).  A few years ago, he once came out of the bathroom after cleaning it and was going to fix us some food.  I asked him if he washed his hands as I noticed when he went to grab an appliance, he left foamy bathroom cleaner on the appliance surface that had been on his hand.  DH's (then-DF's) response?  "My hands are clean.  Cleanser is clean."  I made him wash his hands (he called me a germaphobe after that) and, a few months later, found the words to explain why bathroom cleaner on hands DOES NOT EQUAL clean hands (I took a Safety & Sanitation course in my culinary program and finally found the words to explain cross-contamination via chemical agents -- I also pointed out that both the sanitation guidelines AND the hospital where I work very strongly emphasize clean hands so, no, not a germaphobe am I because I insist on him washing his hands).

That aside, DH is mostly a superbly atrocious cook (can cook 2-3 dishes acceptably) but has a good heart towards it.  He's slowly, ever so slowly, coming around (I realized this a few nights ago when he recognized he needs to grill the fish a few minutes less next time so it isn't charred).  Usually, he can't tell he ruined something.

Rose

« Reply #445 on: October 31, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!  Thank you all for your stories and recipes.

I haven't had anyone really mess with my recipes, but my exMIL published several of mine in her women's club cookbook.  Verbatim!  I had typed up recipe cards for her and she'd turned in those cards to the cookbook committee.  I found them years later with my name x'd out along with a note from the committee chair thanking her for her submissions.

As for chard...I love it!  I throw some olive oil and minced garlic in a pan for a minute or two and add the shredded chard.  I then cover it and turn it low.  When the chard is tender I swirl a pat of butter and a healthy drizzle of balsamic (or red wine) vinegar.  Yum!

wheeitsme

« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!  Thank you all for your stories and recipes.

I haven't had anyone really mess with my recipes, but my exMIL published several of mine in her women's club cookbook.  Verbatim!  I had typed up recipe cards for her and she'd turned in those cards to the cookbook committee.  I found them years later with my name x'd out along with a note from the committee chair thanking her for her submissions.

As for chard...I love it!  I throw some olive oil and minced garlic in a pan for a minute or two and add the shredded chard.  I then cover it and turn it low.  When the chard is tender I swirl a pat of butter and a healthy drizzle of balsamic (or red wine) vinegar.  Yum!

My favorite chard was the stuff we grew in our garden sautéed with smoked duck fat (my DH smoked a duck and I captured the fat).

doodlemor

« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »

I do this with romaine, using lots of chopped garlic, but no butter.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
Hand me garlic, olive oil, and some veg and there won't be a vampire for a radius of 20 miles...

If you find yourself in San Francisco or Los Angeles, you must eat here!

I've wanted to check that place out for a long long time.

I was taken to the LA location. Wasn't impressed but was intially put off by there wine list.  The Prime Rib was fine but rest was "ehh".

Luci

« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »

Or, maybe the cook/baker should rinse off the untinsels before using them, no matter the source. My lifelong lesson. Stories not sent: I leaned quickly.