Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 13264 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »
Which is more harsh, Ebert tweeting about the death of a "jack@ss", or said jack@ss getting drunk and plowing his car into a tree at 130mph, killing himself and his passenger in the prime of their lives?

The truth isn't always pretty, folks.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
Yes.

So did the driver.  Instead of a long, drawn out statement, I'm just going to leave it at I think it is a tragedy no matter who was in the car. Profiting from tragedy is pretty lame.

Sorry my posts weren't made very clear... but I still think Mr. Ebert is an attention hound.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
Yes.

So did the driver.  Instead of a long, drawn out statement, I'm just going to leave it at I think it is a tragedy no matter who was in the car. Profiting from tragedy is pretty lame.

Sorry my posts weren't made very clear... but I still think Mr. Ebert is an attention hound.

I think you are making major assumptions about both his motivation and the results of his actions.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:43 PM »
Mr. Ebert has had a longer career than any of the people on Donkey. I'd say he's contributed more towards movies as an art form than any of the "entertainers" in that group. I really don't think he needs publicity off of their name.

Since Mr. Ebert is a movie critic, not a royal watcher, I'm not sure why you think he should be tweeting about Diana's driver. Was the driver a movie star in his spare time?

As far as respecting life, it's unfortunate that Mr. Dunn didn't respect the lives of other people, as well as his own.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:21:55 PM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Miss March

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
What Ebert said is actually far tamer than what everyone I knew was tweeting or posting on facebook about Ryan Dunn.
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (I'm meant to be studying for my last exam tomorrow!), but what I've found utterly appalling has been the backlash by Jack@ss fans mocking Ebert for his cancer, telling him nobody would feel sad when he died.

One guy commented on his blog post about how much it would cost to develop real estate in his "hollow jaw". Roger replied that his jaw was designed by Frank Gehry, in a classy reponse.

Still, these things make me feel sad. I don't think Roger was disrespectful and he has a valid point. Even if the timing was off, Roger being "cruel" is no justification for wishing him dead from cancer or mocking his surgery. One poor turn does not deserve another.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
I understand that he killed people. People die every day, ad that is tragic in itself. I'm just trying to state the group perspective of the people I know, and how it is being seen from a lot of the younger generation type.

One tweet made everyone I know from 30 and down remember who he was (Ebert), and that he didn't pass on like Siskel.

I can speak for a good amount of people that forgot he was ALIVE until this happened. I think it was a low blow on his part, and at least partially calculated. I think he was trying a little too hard to be witty to actually be warning people against the dangers of drunk driving.

And Lady Di's driver was just the first thing that popped in my mind because he was drunk and stoned and killed an ex-princess... Next time I will think of a better example. Poor choice on my part, just the one blitzed thing I remember best because it was blaming the paparazzi forever until the crash results came out and turned out they had made it far away from the press... Plus the drunk and stoned thing.  I apologize for it making much more sense in my head instead of written out.
 I guess that would have been better used as a seat belt PSA.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:35:32 PM by afbluebelle »

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Roger Ebert has been an known celebrity probably longer than any of those Donkies have been alive.

He does not need them to somehow shove himself in to the spotlight. I agree with what he said 100%.

I am sorry those two are dead, but they were STUPID to get behind the wheel of a car and drive 130 mph drunk off their butts.

Thank every deity in the universe they didn't kill or maim anyone else with their stupidity.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Honestly, if that is the reaction of the under 30 crew then maybe there need to be more celebrities on facebook/twitter/the news addressing the reality of this situation. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
I can speak for a good amount of people that forgot he was ALIVE until this happened. I think it was a low blow on his part, and at least partially calculated.

If all that many people had forgotten he was alive, this story would never have made the big time.

Honestly, I think this is a ridiculous case of shooting the messenger. Dunn was the one who screwed up. Why aren't you upset at the man who went out and killed his friend? And could have killed many more? Low blows? Man, there are some low blows that *could* have been made, that make a statement that Dunn should never have been allowed behind the wheel in the first place look pretty innocuous.

He was drunk. He was driving insanely recklessly. He killed himself and a friend.

That's what his fans should be upset about.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
I agree with you ydpubs 1000%! But I'm not understanding this idea that Ebert was trying to be "witty" or making a "joke" with his comments. I've read what his comments were and I don't see anything funny about them. I'd call them kind of sarcastic but not funny. I just don't get why people are thinking he was making a joke about it.

Oh, and I also agree he didn't do it for publicity. Ebert doesn't need to do that. I just don't think that's his style.

Ed.

ydpubs

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
Exactly Twik. Be upset that there are people foolish enough to drink like fish and drive. People who run the risk of killing themselves AND others.

Don't get all bent out of shape because someone came forward to say what needs to be said at times like this.

Frankly, I'm more than PO'ed that the guy ever got to drive again. 23 citations in 13 years?? Including a DUI in 2005? Several of those were speeding and reckless driving citations? A few for driving on a suspended license? It's a miracle he didn't kill someone before now. He should NEVER have been allowed to drive again. He was a fool. I have no respect for someone who behaves like that.

ydpubs

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2011, 11:53:08 PM »
I agree with you ydpubs 1000%! But I'm not understanding this idea that Ebert was trying to be "witty" or making a "joke" with his comments. I've read what his comments were and I don't see anything funny about them. I'd call them kind of sarcastic but not funny. I just don't get why people are thinking he was making a joke about it.

Oh, and I also agree he didn't do it for publicity. Ebert doesn't need to do that. I just don't think that's his style.

Ed.

I've met him IRL. I didn't know him, just bumped in to him around the neighborhood where he lived in the 80's. He's quite acerbic and sarcastic.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »

Don't get all bent out of shape because someone came forward to say what needs to be said at times like this.

The truth isn't always pretty, folks.

Really? I don't feel I have been bent out of shape about this. I stated my opinion, clear and simple. Absolutely, Ryan Dunn was in the wrong.  But isn't etiquette about getting your point across politely, and not being a jerk to people, even if they deserve it. I don't think the family would have liked seeing that tweet, and I think he jumped on the opportunity.  There are better ways to get your point across, and frankly I think his method was insensitive at best, and self serving at the worst.

ydpubs

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2011, 12:05:53 AM »
I meant the people who are going off at Ebert and are PO'ed he said it. There are plenty of them venting.