Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 14925 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »
I meant the people who are going off at Ebert.

Fair enough... and the people gunning after him are disgusting. I may not agree on the timing or approach of what he said, but no one deserves that kind of hate speech.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »
I don't agree with the self-serving part at all. Like I said, he's has been famous for a very long time and is still well known. He had no need to gravy train notoriety from the actions of a foolish person.
No matter where you go, there you are...

ydpubs

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
I meant the people who are going off at Ebert.

Fair enough... and the people gunning after him are disgusting. I may not agree on the timing or approach of what he said, but no one deserves that kind of hate speech.

Sorry. I should have been more clear about that part. Who is getting super angry about it.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11:02 AM »
I think he's just telling it like it is.

Ed.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2011, 12:16:52 AM »
I don't agree with the self-serving part at all. Like I said, he's has been famous for a very long time and is still well known. He had no need to gravy train notoriety from the actions of a foolish person.

I realize not a lot of people agree with me, and I see your extremely valid point.  But look at the reaction this has gotten to on a *civil* board. I'm afraid to go on the rest of the internet, because it is probably like Dodge City on a Saturday night.  Where's that train chick yelling at a conductor when you need her?

I really do hate drunk driving, I promise. I just think the timing and wording are suspect. I agree with the heart of his message, just not the timing, and I really don't like the delivery. It screams "bad punchline" to me.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
But look at the reaction this has gotten to on a *civil* board. I'm afraid to go on the rest of the internet, because it is probably like Dodge City on a Saturday night.  Where's that train chick yelling at a conductor when you need her?

I think it depends on where you go on the internet. The sites I frequent this is a non entity.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
Yeah... I have a couple of sites that are on high alert Code Red for at least two weeks. That includes Facebook (our electricians are battling it out one wall at a time)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:22 AM »
Really? My FB feed is primarily weather related. Then again, I'm a huge weather geek.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

ydpubs

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »
Really? My FB feed is primarily weather related. Then again, I'm a huge weather geek.

I do love the Weather Channel.  ;D

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
My feed is whatever pop culture Sweet Glorious Monkeyfritter Sauce On Toast! now moment is about.  Last week it was that chick on the train who was really well educated. Now it is... well, pretty much this thread, WoW jokes, tattoos, and this thread (topic, not this actual thread  :P)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »

I do love the Weather Channel.  ;D

And I 100% agree... it is my favorite channel (it gets me out of work occasionally  ;D )

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2011, 12:56:28 AM »

I can speak for a good amount of people that forgot he was ALIVE until this happened. I think it was a low blow on his part, and at least partially calculated. I think he was trying a little too hard to be witty to actually be warning people against the dangers of drunk driving.

Honestly? Whatever anyone's personal opinion, Roger Ebert doesn't have to try hard to be witty (or to get attention). He has a huge fan base.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »

Oh, and I also agree he didn't do it for publicity. Ebert doesn't need to do that. I just don't think that's his style.

Ed.

You're right. He doesn't and it isn't.

yokozbornak

« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2011, 01:04:45 AM »
I didn't read Mr. Ebert's words in a joking way even though it was a play on the drunk driving slogan, and I don't think he was trying to be flippant about Mr. Dunn's death.  To me, the message came across as him being angry and upset at the situation.  I don't think he was trying to mock Mr. Dunn at all, but I do see how others could read it that way. 

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
I didn't read Mr. Ebert's words in a joking way even though it was a play on the drunk driving slogan, and I don't think he was trying to be flippant about Mr. Dunn's death.  To me, the message came across as him being angry and upset at the situation.  I don't think he was trying to mock Mr. Dunn at all, but I do see how others could read it that way. 

POD.