Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 14278 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
And people there knew he had at least 6 drinks, so I'm sure they knew he was over the limit. If he snuck out without their noticing? Fine, they did all they could.

I can't remember where, but I read a quote from people who were there saying that they knew what he had and he wasn't too drunk to drive. That makes me very, VERY angry.
The status is not quo!

jibby

« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
And people there knew he had at least 6 drinks, so I'm sure they knew he was over the limit. If he snuck out without their noticing? Fine, they did all they could.

I can't remember where, but I read a quote from people who were there saying that they knew what he had and he wasn't too drunk to drive. That makes me very, VERY angry.
Yes, especially since he was reportedly buying rounds for the entire bar.  The judgment of many of those people is questionable.

And Twik, I won't argue that most of the Donkey crew might/could have brain damage.  :P

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Larrabee

« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

They dedicated a song to him (McFearless) and images of him played on the big screen.

Seemed in poor taste to me, especially the title of the song.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
It's just... I mean, I know it's sad that he died... I know that the people who knew him personally are probably devastated... But it's almost like people are actively ignoring the way he died - the fact that he had a predictable, irresponsible, selfish death. Or worse - glorifying the way he died. Fearless? Really? Well, maybe it was fearless but it was also brainless. Hero? In what sense. And where is the tribute to the person who died in the car with him??
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Larrabee

« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
It's just... I mean, I know it's sad that he died... I know that the people who knew him personally are probably devastated... But it's almost like people are actively ignoring the way he died - the fact that he had a predictable, irresponsible, selfish death. Or worse - glorifying the way he died. Fearless? Really? Well, maybe it was fearless but it was also brainless. Hero? In what sense. And where is the tribute to the person who died in the car with him??

If he'd survived and just his passenger had died I think the public reaction would be an awful lot different despite all the actions leading up to the event being the same.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »

I quoted the friend upthread from TMZ. 3 beers and 3 shots and they guy said he knew/thought Dunn was not impaired.

They dedicated a song to him (McFearless) and images of him played on the big screen.

Seemed in poor taste to me, especially the title of the song.

*sigh

They are going to cannonize the guy in their minds, celebrate him as if he were fearless?

Well of course they are. The show he produced glorified stupidity and reckless behavior, to me it is no surprize there are people out there who are going to think he's fabulous no matter what. They will cuss out and harass someone who Tweeted negatively because they did nothing to stop their hero. They will never look at themselves or their own actions or how egging Dunn contributed to his escalating behavior. They'll shake their angry fists at cruel fate and never think about all the steps Dunn took in life that led him to this end.

Then again, it's this very attitude that made those around him not do anything at all to curtail the behavior that got him killed.

There is a complete disconnect in their minds with cause and effect. They'll never say what we are saying. He was out of control (in the worst, most derogatory sense,) there was nothing great about what he did that night or any other time and it was shameful that he continually lived his life in a way that showed a complete disdain for the safety of others.

One can hope some of them wake up and think about how they are living their lives. Who knows, I just hope like h3ll I nor anyone else is on the road when they are being McFearless.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

This, this, a thousand times this!!!!! I've actually read articles that refer to the crash as killing "Dunn and another passenger" (eg, The Huffington Post). If I were a friend or relative of Zachary Hartwell,* I'd be beyond po'ed at all this near cannonization of Dunn.

*Just wanted to add a little emphasis to his name since so many seem to be forgetting him.
The status is not quo!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

This, this, a thousand times this!!!!! I've actually read articles that refer to the crash as killing "Dunn and another passenger" (eg, The Huffington Post). If I were a friend or relative of Zachary Hartwell,* I'd be beyond po'ed at all this near cannonization of Dunn.

*Just wanted to add a little emphasis to his name since so many seem to be forgetting him.

De-emphasis mine

Is there a reason you feel a need to inflict this sort of behavior on the rest of us *here*?

Some of us neither know nor, to be honest, *care* about who *either* person was.  Yes, two lives were lost.  Yes, most of the focus is on the person with greater name recognition.  As has been pointed out, that is the price and privilege of name recognition.

•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

Yeah.  I'm becoming increasingly disturbed with the way this is being handled.  It concerns me. 

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
Ok, not sure how it was REALLY worded, but TMZ is reporting on Kings of Leon's tribute to Ryan Dunn during a concert.  Supposedly they asked the crowd to make a toast to Ryan...  Hello?!?  A toast?  And I think that public tributes to someone without mention of the other person who died at the same time are tacky, tacky, tacky.  Not to mention how it digusts me that tributes are being paid to a drunk driver who killed another person...

De-emphasis mine

Is there a reason you feel a need to inflict this sort of behavior on the rest of us *here*?

Some of us neither know nor, to be honest, *care* about who *either* person was.  Yes, two lives were lost.  Yes, most of the focus is on the person with greater name recognition.  As has been pointed out, that is the price and privilege of name recognition.

Re-emphisis mine.  Not sure what behavior is being inflicted, but Wonderflonioum made a good point.  As far as it being *here*, *here* is where we are discussing it...  

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »

I emphasized his name because in this country, people remember the names of the killers, not the victims, and in my opinion, that's pretty twisted. It's even worse that people are acting like the killer is some kind of folk hero.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "inflict this sort of behavior." Frankly, it comes across as snarky and unwarranted
The status is not quo!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
Quote from: Wonderflonium

And I'm not sure what you mean by "inflict this sort of behavior." Frankly, it comes across as snarky and unwarranted
[/quote

I regret you did not understand that the behavior to which I was objecting was the emphasis I had removed.

14 point bold red type also comes across as snarky and unwarranted.  Emphasizing the other victim's name *here* is really not called for.

•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
Blue Falcon, I think Wonderflonium was expressing her general frustration at his name not being recognized.

I don't think she meant to apply that frustration to anyone here.  :)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
I understand that you didn't like the emphasis; what I don't understand is why you phrased it as "inflicting this behavior," because that doesn't fit at all.

I'm also not sure why you would think it was not called for to emphasize the other victim's name here. Dunn killed 2 people with his stupidity, and I see nothing wrong with making sure the other person is not left out of the discussion. And as Bibliophile said, "here" is where we are discussing it, so "here" is where I am emphasizing it.
The status is not quo!