Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 14572 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
I understand one of the group (sorry, don't watch the show, don't know their names) responded in a solemn, dignified way to Mr. Ebert:

"Shut your *$(#(@%ing fat mouth!"

Classy, truly.

That was Bam Margera.  And, no, it's not classy but I think it was spoken in true grief, so I can overlook it.

That was a public announcement, just like Ebert's. If they are terribly offended by the name "donkey", they shouldn't have chosen it for their production in the first place. If they're terribly offended by the suggestion that the deceased wasn't driving properly, they better come to terms quickly, because they'll be hearing it a LOT in the next few days, and probably in harsher terms than Mr. Ebert used.

If they are offended at the suggestion that, maybe, they could have taken steps to prevent this tragedy, well, let the galled jade wince.

I posted in a hurry.  I didn't mean to imply that his statement wasn't rude, just that I give him a pass in his state of grief, which I believe to be pretty severe.

I don't think they were objecting to the word, so much as the context and timing.

Either way, it's a really sad situation and I feel for all involved.  (Not saying you don't, just trying to end nice.  ;))
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Kaypeep

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »
I think a lot of us would feel this way whether it was a star of J@ck@ss who did this or one of the stars from your typical sitcom or tv drama.

The guy drove drunk (and had a lengthy history of various traffic violations) and killed himself and someone else. Only by the sheer grace of God did he not take out anyone else. So yeah, I'd feel the same about anyone who did that.

I'm not saying that his friends, family, co-workers, etc, aren't entitled to their grief. They most definitely are. But when you are Bam Magera, who has made a career and a ton of money on the shtick of acting outside the bounds of propriety (seriously, from the 15 minutes I watched of his own show, not the "donkey" show, I wondered why his parents didn't disown himi for being so hateful), then you have no business pitching a fit when someone else does something that you don't find proper.

And honestly, I still don't think Ebert said anything wrong. This guy had 23 driving citations, including a former DUI. He had been drinking, and drinking hard, with other people. He chose to get behind the wheel and ultimately took 2 lives. It could have been a lot more. A lot of people along the way had the chance to intervene (or at least try to) and prevent this, and they didn't. I don't think what amounts to a PSA about that is inappropriate.

Well said.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
I find the response particularly ironic since Mr Ebert is unable to talk, literally.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

yokozbornak

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
I find the response particularly ironic since Mr Ebert is unable to talk, literally.

You know, I have been thinking about Mr. Ebert's health issues as I've read this thread. He is someone who lost half his face and his voice to cancer but is still fighting and moving forward.  I imagine that it is hard for him to see someone so young and healthy die in such a tragic and senseless way especially when it could have been prevented. 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
He's also a recovering alcoholic since the late 70s.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

yokozbornak

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »

I didn't realize that. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »

I don't know that every alcoholic drives drunk or that every drunk driver is an alcoholic  ???

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »

I don't know that every alcoholic drives drunk or that every drunk driver is an alcoholic  ???

Knowing that makes me take his comment a bit differently. He probably knows all too well, from personal experience, the damage alcohol can do.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
I don't know that every alcoholic drives drunk or that every drunk driver is an alcoholic 

That wasn't my point. I think he likely is more angry or sad because of the stupidity of it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
I don't know that every alcoholic drives drunk or that every drunk driver is an alcoholic 

That wasn't my point. I think he likely is more angry or sad because of the stupidity of it.

ahhh. 

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »
I think Roger Ebert was out of hand, if only because he has been in the business a loooooooooooooooooong time. He is a old guy in poor health who is mocked by more people for his critic work than listened to at this point (at least out of the people I know). I'm being incredibly cynical, but I think he knew exactly how it sounded.

Honestly, I think he did it because he just made himself extremely relevant. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

For the record, I hate drunk driving. I have no sympathy for tickets ensued, consequences earned, or anything that punished the person responsible. I grieve for the loss of human life, for the friends and family left behind, and for the fans who will miss his presence.  I have loved the JA crew since their early days with CKY, and all the people I know who have met any of the member had nothing but positive experiences.  I prefer to keep my thoughts and prayers for the loved ones affected than to dwell on a publicity hound who is riding darn close to being an ambulance chaser.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »
And the curiuosity just got the better of me... did Mr. Ebert make similar comments when the Mercedes carrying Lady Di wrecked? Her driver was drunk and medicated... Not the same circumstance, but I just feel that all human life should garner the same respect, and everyone seems to forget that little factoid above when talking about tragic accidents.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
And the curiuosity just got the better of me... did Mr. Ebert make similar comments when the Mercedes carrying Lady Di wrecked? Her driver was drunk and medicated... Not the same circumstance, but I just feel that all human life should garner the same respect, and everyone seems to forget that little factoid above when talking about tragic accidents.

what makes you assume that "everyone" forgets that? 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
I think you're missing a huge piece of the whole story here, and that is that Ebert's remark was on Twitter. Social media as it is today didn't exist in 1997. I'm sure there were some who were more connected than the average Joe, but news was primarily via TV, radio, and newspapers.

And plenty of negativity was published/reported about the driver and Diana. Whether Ebert said anything publicly, I wouldn't know.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
Well, one thing I should point out is that if Mr. Dunn had survived, he would be facing some form of homicide charge right now. So it's not like he's an innocent victim of circumstance.

He killed somebody.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."