Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 15562 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/20/roger-ebert-ryan-dunn-dies-death-drunk-driving-car-crash-accident-twitter-tweet/

Yesterday, one of the guys from Donkey (the filter changed the title, ha!), Ryan Dunn, was killed in a very serious car accident. It looks like speed and alcohol were a factor. He and his passenger were both killed.

Ebert Tweeted, "Friends donít let jackasses drink and drive."

There has been a lot of outrage about it, saying it was completely out of line considering they just died, others are saying that he was referring to his friends who were drinking with them and let them drive, etc.

Ebert absolutely is defending his remarks as a PSA and does not apologize.

So, is he out of line? Was it the timing? The actual message? Is it ever OK to say something like this?

ETA- Here is Ebert's editorial after all the controversy: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/06/_bam_margera_i_just_lost.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:26:37 PM by jimithing »

Kiara

• My dragons!
Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
Way over the line.  You can think it, but not say it.  I've lost some respect for Ebert over this.

The editorial was fine.  The original tweet was too much, too soon, and yes, I think Ebert should apologize. 

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
I feel that the drunk part needed to be acknowledged. I don't know if he should have phrased it as he did, but I'm no expert.
As a matter of fact, considering the audience Donkey caters to, I hope they mention it over and over and over again. Maybe it will make one person think twice.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
I don't really have a problem with the phrasing.  The guy made a living featuring himself literally as a j@ck@ss.  He shouldn't have been drinking and driving and since the show encouraged reckless behavior the point should be made that this was reckless behavior that got somebody killed.  I'm sorry he has died but thankful he didn't take any innocent victims with him.

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
The man lived and died doing dangerous things for entertainment. I think his example should be used to teach or the media should leave his life to rest. It all feels like a terrible situation and Ebert knows better than to make such a public statement. I've lost a bit of respect for him as well.

something.new.every.day

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
I think the message is good, but the medium (Twitter) does not allow for a full and thoughtful statement.  Itís a place for random shallow thoughts, not thoughtful commentary.  I think the mistake was in posting there versus issuing a more complete statement. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
I think the message is good, but the medium (Twitter) does not allow for a full and thoughtful statement.  Itís a place for random shallow thoughts, not thoughtful commentary.  I think the mistake was in posting there versus issuing a more complete statement. 

I do think you have a point there.  It isn't so much the message (for me) as it is the fact that it is there where other celebs (and "normal" people are tweeting about their pedicure or zumba class.  That makes a lot of sense

Hobish, I think that a lot of people are not fans of dangerous behavior - whether in a show or personal life.  I don't think I've run into anybody who is happy about this but it doesn't make sense to me to fail to address cause and effect.  Should they not mention it when stars OD either?

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
Honestly?  To me, the tweet is a context-appropriate riff on "Friends don't let Friends Drive Drunk."

I suspect I have written off the movies/?series? are not to my taste - I have not seen the movies at all, and as a rule do not watch commercial television, but from what I have read here, the appellation is relevant to cultivated behavior.

*Context-appropriate in that the actor's behavior was deliberately appropriate to the description "donkey", not merely that it was twitter.

It's no more offensive to me, in that context, than if someone were to say (assuming Jim Henson had died in an accident caused by his driving drunk) "Friends don't let muppets drive drunk."
ē   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
I didn't think it was inappropriate at all.  They did star in the J@ckA$$ series, so it fit perfectly.  He clearly was doing a take off on the "Friends don't let friends drive drunk" theme mentioned by Blue Falcon and it was in no way insulting to either the performer or his friend who died with him. 

It was clearly a chastisement to their friends who made no effort to stop them from driving when clearly they were incapacitated. 

penelope2017

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
I understand his sentiment, but these are real people suffering real grief, regardless of how people view their entertainment medium.

It was way too soon to tweet that or any judgemental tweet on the accident. Waiting a bit won't dilute the message. The accident itself was just as much of a wake up call as anyone would hope Roger Ebert's tweet was. I thought his tweet was really tasteless. Comments about "considering the audience he caters to" are not entirely accurate. My husband loves Jacka$$ and I can assure you he is not likely to behave recklessly.

gollymolly2

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
I think if a public figure kills himself and someone else because of the incredibly selfish, disgusting, and dangerous decision to drink and drive, then it's not inherently inappropriate to comment on it.  Just like if someone died in a drug overdose, it can be a good jumping off point for reminding people (particularly their young fans) of how dangerous drug use is. 

I also think the use of the J-A word was not inherently wrong - it's a reasonable reference to me.

But I do think you have to consider the timing after the death, the medium of your message, and the tone of your message.  I completely completely agree with what he said, and if we'd been hanging out together, watching the news, and he made that comment, I would have given him my total stamp of approval.  But a semi-joking statement, over twitter, immediately after the death - in combination, those caused his statement to cross the line for me.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

But I do think you have to consider the timing after the death, the medium of your message, and the tone of your message.  I completely completely agree with what he said, and if we'd been hanging out together, watching the news, and he made that comment, I would have given him my total stamp of approval.  But a semi-joking statement, over twitter, immediately after the death - in combination, those caused his statement to cross the line for me.

I think I agree with this. I feel this is one of those situations where the message is appropriate, but the timing is not. I wholeheartedly agree with his lengthy editorial and what his message is. I do think that out of respect for his family, it was in poor taste.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I was wondering if someone was going to post about this. I think Roger Ebert probably shouldn't have commented quite so soon after the accident. Besides that I agree with what Ebert said 100% and I don't think he owes anyone an apology. It's just a fact that stupid behavior will get you (and sometimes other people unfortunately) killed.

Ed.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 06:11:42 AM »
I feel that the drunk part needed to be acknowledged. I don't know if he should have phrased it as he did, but I'm no expert.
As a matter of fact, considering the audience Donkey caters to, I hope they mention it over and over and over again. Maybe it will make one person think twice.

???
Not all Donkey fans are teenage boys who think they're invincible.
I'm a 34 year old married woman with a child who is a huge fan of the movies.
I don't need to be told twice not to drink and drive.

Edited to add: Rest in Peace Ryan, thanks for the laughs.  :(
Stewart/Colbert '16

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:04 AM »
IMO, the message was hurtful to the family and quite tasteless. At this time, no determination has been made by the police on whether or not the driver was intoxicated.

Is it possible, or even likely, that he was? Yes. Why would anyone make a potentially hurtful comment unless they were sure it was a fact?

I have met close friends and family of Ryan, and they too are loving people who deserve respect and kindness in their grief.

RIP gentlemen, you died much too young.  :'(
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!