Author Topic: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death  (Read 15832 times)

jibby

Re: Roger Ebert Tweets Chastisement After Drunk Driving Death
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
For the record, toxicology reports show that Dunn's blood alcohol level was over twice the legal limit. I'm just posting this because there has been some question as to whether he was in fact drunk.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=654622&GT1=28103
Thanks, Wonderflonium.  I hadn't seen the reports yet.  I agree even more with Ebert's comment now.  I read a few articles today and realized that none of the Donkey crew were with him, and in fact one friend with him passed out in his own car.  If Ryan were my loved one, I would be right behind Ebert - I would WANT the people with him that night (if there were others?) called out on letting him drive.

Regarding Bam's comment, that's in line with how the guy speaks.  I do feel sorry for him, and that comment really isn't any more disrespectful than his usual manner of expressing himself.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
I am furious at Ryan Dunn. Absolutely enraged furious. This was a young man with his while life ahead of him, a new show coming out, plenty of money in the bank and he got paid to hang out and have fun with his best friends. So what does he do? He gets snockered and drives 130mph, killing himself and someone else. The sheer waste is enraging....two lives, snuffed out for what?

Maybe Ebert should have waited a few days but I agree with him. If Dunn didn't care about his own life enough to be responsible then there's nothing anyone can do to make him. But what of his passenger, or anyone else who may have been on the road? Did he care so little for them too?

I don't mean to sound preachy but this really upset me. I hate waste more than anything....and this really was a waste.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

penelope2017

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
I understand one of the group (sorry, don't watch the show, don't know their names) responded in a solemn, dignified way to Mr. Ebert:

"Shut your *$(#(@%ing fat mouth!"

Classy, truly.

The guy was devastated by the loss of his best friend and reacted in anger. Are we all at our best under those circumstances? I can guarantee you he wasn't the only one who reacted in anger to Ebert's tweet either. I assume Bam Margera wasn't worried about "classy, truly" when he was dealing with a shocking death. And perhaps had Ebert given him some time to adjust before tossing out his oh so witty quip about a tragedy, he'd have gotten a different reaction.

The judgement abounding in this thread is really disappointing. I understand the anger and disgust at drunk driving. But judgement of the Ryan Dunn's friends, the show Jacka$$, the "audience they cater to" etc. It's just a bummer.

gollymolly2

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
<snip>
The judgement abounding in this thread is really disappointing. I understand the anger and disgust at drunk driving. But judgement of the Ryan Dunn's friends, the show Jacka$$, the "audience they cater to" etc. It's just a bummer.

I agree. I have strong feelings about drinking and driving but it does seem like some posts suggest that bc of the nature of the show, these guys aren't entitled to human emotions or something. I can't quite put my finger on it but I really agree with what you said.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
I think you are reading a lot into it actually. 

gollymolly2

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
I think you are reading a lot into it actually. 

If that's directed towards me, I based it on comments like the one below. We can disagree on whether I'm drawing the correct conclusion but I don't think I'm reading "a lot" into it.

Well, I wouldn't have made that a public statement on my behalf. But neither am I terribly sympathetic to the delicate feelings of those associated with the show.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
But angry at what?

The suggestion his friend was driving drunk? That's the truth, according to the forensics.

The use of the word "Donkey"? That's what they call themselves. That was not an insult. They've taken that word and made it theirs.

The suggestion that his friends shouldn't have let him drive? Well, that's perhaps a hard truth, because it affects those who may be suffering survivor's guilt. But it's the truth, still.

It's easier, I suppose, to get mad at someone who *wasn't* there, had no way of stopping what happened from happening, but could be seen as "judging" the deceased and his friends for being irresponsible. Even though they were.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
These guys want to push and even destroy the limits of what is socially acceptable. They don't think they should have to have any filter on their words or behavior. It's a little hypocritical of them to then try to censor others.
The status is not quo!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »
But angry at what?

The suggestion his friend was driving drunk? That's the truth, according to the forensics.

The use of the word "Donkey"? That's what they call themselves. That was not an insult. They've taken that word and made it theirs.

The suggestion that his friends shouldn't have let him drive? Well, that's perhaps a hard truth, because it affects those who may be suffering survivor's guilt. But it's the truth, still.

It's easier, I suppose, to get mad at someone who *wasn't* there, had no way of stopping what happened from happening, but could be seen as "judging" the deceased and his friends for being irresponsible. Even though they were.

This is where I am. I just don't understand why it was offensive.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

penelope2017

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
These guys want to push and even destroy the limits of what is socially acceptable. They don't think they should have to have any filter on their words or behavior. It's a little hypocritical of them to then try to censor others.

This is sort of what I'm talking about. With that, I'm out.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »

This is sort of what I'm talking about. With that, I'm out.

On this board, people are encouraged to quietly exit a thread, not flounce out.
The status is not quo!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »
I think a lot of us would feel this way whether it was a star of J@ck@ss who did this or one of the stars from your typical sitcom or tv drama.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
It's just Bam Margera's usual level of disrespect and foul-mouthed talk. Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of them or the "Donkey" show.

Ed.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2011, 06:02:12 PM »
I think a lot of us would feel this way whether it was a star of J@ck@ss who did this or one of the stars from your typical sitcom or tv drama.

The guy drove drunk (and had a lengthy history of various traffic violations) and killed himself and someone else. Only by the sheer grace of God did he not take out anyone else. So yeah, I'd feel the same about anyone who did that.

I'm not saying that his friends, family, co-workers, etc, aren't entitled to their grief. They most definitely are. But when you are Bam Magera, who has made a career and a ton of money on the shtick of acting outside the bounds of propriety (seriously, from the 15 minutes I watched of his own show, not the "donkey" show, I wondered why his parents didn't disown himi for being so hateful), then you have no business pitching a fit when someone else does something that you don't find proper.

And honestly, I still don't think Ebert said anything wrong. This guy had 23 driving citations, including a former DUI. He had been drinking, and drinking hard, with other people. He chose to get behind the wheel and ultimately took 2 lives. It could have been a lot more. A lot of people along the way had the chance to intervene (or at least try to) and prevent this, and they didn't. I don't think what amounts to a PSA about that is inappropriate.
The status is not quo!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »

This.