News:

• April 19, 2018, 01:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thankful for interference! s/o Unattended Children  (Read 4648 times)

LadyMisha

Thankful for interference! s/o Unattended Children
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
I'm one of those people who isn't on the fence about this issue.  Kids will always get my help, no matter the circumstance.  I've always told my children if I am not around, look for an authority figure to help them (officer, etc.).  When we went to the fair when the kids were younger, I would safety pin my business card with my cellphone number to the back of their shirts (inside) so they could tell the authority figure where to look to contact Mommy.

However, an authority figure isn't always there and there is a woman somewhere in Charlotte that was in a Wal Mart that I am immensely grateful to, no matter that I probably will never know her name.

My mother wanted a digital picture frame, so we all went to Wal Mart, including my 13 year old DD.  Well, this Wally World is known for its employees that move at the speed of a snail on downers, so we were waiting quite a while for the employee with the key to come and get the one she wanted from behind the locked rack.  In the interim, my DD, who was well over waiting, asked to be allowed to go and look at the jewelry and then clothing.  Not a problem, she's 13 and well old enough to take care of herself so off she went.

We finally got the frame and mom wanted a couple of items from the grocery area as well, so we went by there before heading over to the clothing area to get my DD when she met us halfway there and related this story to us:

She had been cruising the jewelry area when she noticed a man following her.  When she glanced at him, he winked at her and made several crude gestures toward his manhood.  Since he was between where we were and where she was, she moved over to the clothing department.  A check behind her showed that he was still following, getting closer and more crude in his gestures.  She looked around and found the closest middle aged woman and made a beeline for her, exclaiming Mom, I was looking for you!  When the woman turned around, a little bewildered look, my DD mouthed Help and gestured with her shoulder to the creep.  The woman immediately got it and put her arm around my DD and said I wondered where you'd gotten off to! and shot the creep a glare so frozen that Medusa would have been proud.  The guy slunk off toward the exits with his tail between his legs and some pep in his step, probably certain he was going to get reported.  My DD hugged the woman and thanked her for helping.  The woman hugged her back and told her no problem and asked if she was here with anyone.  My DD told her yes, she just couldn't get to me without going past him to do it and hadn't wanted to do that.

Once my mom and I found out what happened, I was both limp with thankfulness for that woman and wired with rage at the man.  She was unable to point either one out to me as we were leaving, but to this day, I remain thankful that that woman helped my daughter. 

And right after that is when my daughter, whom I had sworn would not get a cellphone until she was ready to start driving, got a cellphone so she could call me if she ever needed me again and I wasn't right there.
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

Joannie81

Re: Thankful for interference! s/o Unattended Children
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
Wow, I'm almost crying from reading that.  The thoughts of what could have happened.  Thank goodness there was someone to help her and your DD knew how to ask for help!  You are doing a great job Mom! 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
That's great! Thank goodness for that woman!

I've told this story before, but I find it kind of amusing, so I'll retell it. I was at Best Buy. I had just walked through the automatic doors when a child, no more than 3 years old, came charging toward me. His mother was in hot pursuit, but I could tell there was a good chance he'd make it through the automatic doors and out into the parking lot before she caught him. Without even thinking, I bent down, stuck out my arm, and snagged the kid around the waist. Luckily, the mom was thankful and didn't start yelling at me for touching her kid.
The status is not quo!

LadyMisha

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Wow, I'm almost crying from reading that.  The thoughts of what could have happened.  Thank goodness there was someone to help her and your DD knew how to ask for help!  You are doing a great job Mom! 

Thanks... sometimes you really wonder if what you tell them/try to teach them sinks in because they seem oblivious about half the time, but when push came to shove, she did exactly what I'd told her to do - and to be honest, I was a little shocked that she'd remembered that, but still thankful as all get out that she did!  

Yeah, the thoughts of "could have happened" kept me awake many nights after that incident.  <shudder>

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
That's a great story.  Glad it worked out for your DD.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Rosey

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
That is such a great story! I'm so glad that woman and your daughter were both so quick thinking in such a scary situation!

Still, I can only imagine how you must have felt. I can feel my blood pressure rising at the very thought of a man doing such a thing to my daughter, so when you say "wired", well, I can only imagine . . .

HonorH

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »
Your daughter's a cool customer. She did a great job of following her instincts and thinking on her feet. And thank goodness the woman she picked out was so quick on the uptake and eager to help! Sickos like that make me want to go after them with a pair of garden shears, if you get my meaning.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Klein Bottle

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
Your daughter was very quick-thinking, and did not allow panic to overtake her in the moment to the point where she could not think of what to do.  What this tells me is that you have gone over scenarios with her throughout her life, helping her to figure out what she'd do in a situation of danger.  Her ingrained training, (and probably a great deal of inborn horse-sense!), saved the day.

I am so glad that woman "got it" right off the bat, too.  While I would certainly do all I could to help a young person out of a bad situation, I am sometimes slow on the uptake when presented with an unusual situation.    ::) 

Great outcome, and great parenting. 

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
That was an awesome story on all angles... I'm glad that you had the foresight to teach your daughter, your daughter had the wit to use it, and the lady was kind and smart enough to catch on and roll with it. I'm going to have to remember to teach my kids (present and future?) this one.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

arete85

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »
That's wonderful, and kudos to that woman, your daughter, and yourself for raising such a level-headed girl. It's a pity they couldn't catch the creep.
I had a male colleague do something similar for me at a bar last week. My SO was in the bathroom and a drug/drink-affected guy was babbling randomly and had fixated on me, getting in my face and continuing to talk...and talk..and talk. Aforementioned colleague came up, put his arm around my waist and gave me a big kiss on the cheek, saying "Hi honey!".

He's my new personal hero.

Grape

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »
It's great your daughter remembered the safety lesson you taught her! I'm so glad it worked so well. :)

I remember as a kid, my parents taught us something similar. Also, we knew which neighbors were likely to be helpful as well. There was one time some teenage guys slowed down in their car and started saying crude things to me and my friend when we were pre-teens. We knew just what to do - run to the nearest house yelling for "Mom". It worked too. The guys took off without waiting to see whether we actually went in the front door.

barefoot_girl

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:23:27 AM »
Well done to your daughter, and well done to that woman as well. I second the poster who wanted to go after the man with the rusty garden shears...

Iris

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:27 AM »
What a great story. I'm so glad she was ok!

Love your tag line btw.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »
Glad everything worked out well.

Once I was at a pharmacy in a town between Pigsburg and Bovinia. A lady was screaming and asking loud "where is my doggone baby" (insert real swear word that I won't use). I was getting scared myself since she sounded frantic. I took a few paces out of the store- and saw a little girl that could have been the woman's daughter. Little girl was sitting still so I quickly entered again and told the lady (she was close to the exit) that there was a little girl wearing X clothes and around 2 years of age and pointed towards her. Woman said girl was hers and thanked me.

So glad the lady did the right thing.
I have pet mice!

LadyMisha

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
Thanks, all - for the most part, she's a really good kid and I couldn't be prouder of her!  Of course, her sense of etiquette can be improved in some areas, but she's 17 now and like her mama at that age, has a tendency to speak her mind without thought to tact at times :) 

I second everyone who talked about gardening shears and going after him... trust me, I was so ticked off I'd have prolly used my teeth... and smiled really big at him afterward (think major shark teeth)!

All of the other stories that posters put up here have made me really smile!  Angels come in many forms, don't they?  :)