News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2018, 08:44:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tooken & Just  (Read 17004 times)

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
Re: Tooken & Just
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »
Maybe they learned all this at the liberry?  ;D

Mr. Muse and I were discussing this one last night-- we decided it would be neat to have a smoothie bar (because, you know, lots of fruit and berries go into smoothies) with books for people to read as they drank called Liberries.

I'd be a regular customer!

Me, too! That sounds great!

I bet if you got jaxsue and me in the same room we would have completely different accents - hers from North Jersey and mine from South - and neither one of them would sound like the Jersey Shore people (most of whom were actually from Long Island and parts of NY if i remember correctly).

"Yous" as a plural of you is definitely used where i live, though. I hate it. Mostly it comes out sounding more like “yiz” than “yooz” in my area. “Wha’-c’n-I-getchiz?” {{shudder}} It's accepted, i suppose, as dialect; but horribly wrong.  :P
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jaxsue

« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
I bet if you got jaxsue and me in the same room we would have completely different accents - hers from North Jersey and mine from South - and neither one of them would sound like the Jersey Shore people (most of whom were actually from Long Island and parts of NY if i remember correctly).

I love meeting people with different accents, although you and I would be more alike than you think. I lived in the deep south for 22 yrs (married into a Southern family) so there is that element in my accent - throw in English Canadian (parents) and upper midwest (born and raised) and you have one hot mess!  :)

Although I don't speak NJ/NY, I have a lot of friends up here who are natives so I can, at the very least, be an interpreter!  :D

jaxsue

« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
I just heard some interesting dialect on one of the TV judge shows. The guy said someone's car was "parked in," meaning that their car was blocked by another car parked behind them. He used this phrase several times. TBH I couldn't pinpoint his dialect. He was US for sure, but beyond that I don't know.  ???

jaxsue

« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Tfbeqyu2U&feature=related

A very entertaining 10-part history lesson on the English language.

Kittymama

« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
When I was a kid, I used to read words that I never heard, and sometimes got the pronunciation wrong as a result. I pronounced "bedraggled" as bed-raggled, which makes perfect sense to me. I do look 'raggled' when I get out of bed. I used to think of "misled" being the past tense of "misle",which in my mind, meant "confuse". I was quite dissapointed when I realised, out of the blue, that it is actually "mis-led". I still prefer my word misle.

Sorry, I didn't mean to misle you all.

Pronounced "my-zle"? ME TOO. I asked my mother one time how you misle someone, and she had no clue what I was talking about. (Why I didn't think to write it down, or show her the book, is anyone's guess.)

Me three! I don't know how I found out the correct pronunciation. Similar to yours, I think (asking about how you "misle" someone).

I have a question for anyone who happens to know: On What Not to Wear, Stacey calls dresses with empire waists "om-peer" waists. I think it's ehm-pyre, like, well...an empire. Is she pronouncing it wrong, or is it different when it comes to dresses? I am so confused about that...

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
Does anyone remember the pop song from the 80's where the girl sang "que sera, que sera" at the end of a stanza ... but she pronounced it "k'SARE-ah, k'SARE-ah"?
I am not sure how to type that phonetically  :-\ The K was barely pronounced and the rest sounded almost like Sarah, the female name. I wasn't old enough to know what "que sera sera" meant but it drove my mom nuts.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Waltraud

• http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/58378
    • My dragons!
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
AFAIK, ohm-PEER is the French pronunciation of, you guessed it, empire. I'm not sure but I think that fashion actually was created in France, so it might be the more "original" pronunciation. I might be wrong though, since I've never bought that kind of dress. Phm-PEER or empire, it makes me look pregnant.  ;D

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
I was thinking of this thread today when DH hit me with another malaprop.... he said he was going to move to Utah and join the Mermen religion. He meant Mormons.  I mean no disrespect to Mormons, but I'm still laughing to myself thinking about the entire Mormon community in the state of Utah under water and swimming around with Ariel.  ;D
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver