News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2018, 07:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tooken & Just  (Read 16958 times)

Smitty

Re: Tooken & Just
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories. I especially appreciate the stories about people who continue to use the wrong word, or mangle the right one, even after being told that they're doing it wrong. It's nice to know my coworker isn't the only one who persists. Fortunately, "tooken" and "the just of it" are not likely to come up in written correspondence in our jobs, so my coworker is not likely to send out an email or letter with these mistakes. Unfortunately, I think that would be the only way I could politely bring it up; she usually asks me to proofread anything she writes for company-wide distribution, so that would be my only opportunity to tell her.

I have heard someone else in the office tell her "'Tooken' is not a word" (and her response was "I know, I just say it. It's a habit."). If something that blunt doesn't get her to stop using the word, I don't think there is any polite way to press it further. It's a shame, because the way she speaks does harm her image at work.

And I am going to call it a "toe-free number" from now on, because that is too funny. How could anyone with a television get to adulthood not knowing that it's a "toll-free" number, with all the commercials that have it right up there on the screen? Print ads, too?

(The spell check recommended I change "toll-free" to "hellfire." :D)

I am the DW in the Yellow Dart's post above. When I am relaxed at home, my brain sometimes slips a gear and another word pops out in place of the one I meant to say. Usually a related word. Something like "Can you hand me the serving?" instead of "Can you hand me the spatula?" Never happens at work, or out in public at all, just at home with me and DH.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
One of my coworkers loves the word "irregardless" and uses it in almost every call he takes.  It drives me up the wall.  It is actually in the dictionary, but I think it sounds incredibly wrong, and that "regardless" would be a much better word to use.  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Another coworker doesn't really seem to have figured out what "mortified" means.  No matter what happens, he was always mortified.  He says things like "We won the game, and I almost won MVP for the tournament!  I was mortified!" or "Then my parents came up to Rochester for the day and we had lunch.  I told them about my new boyfriend, and it was mortifying!".  I'm often left trying to figure out what he actually meant.  

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »
DH puts extra sounds into words randomly. 

S'mores are shmores.

Is your DH Sean Connery?

TootsNYC

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
Have you guys see the Eggcorn Database?

It's a collection of idiomatic words that people *MISHEAR* and then invent a reason for them to use a slightly different but similar-sounding and much-more-familiar-to-them word instead.
Often you don't realize they're doing it until you see them SPELL it.

Like, "diffuse the situation" instead of "defuse the situation."

The name comes from a story of a woman who always thought those things that fell of oak trees were "egg-corns" (eggs=hard shell, new life inside; corn=a generic kind of plant, since in Europe "corn" mean "whatever grain we are growing in our area")

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

I love eggcorns--some of them, I vastly prefer, actually (I love "whoa is me").

wrenskibaby

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
My DH - idea for ideal.

That situation would be idea for us.

I know someone who does the opposite!  The guy who led our church's youth group drove the kids nuts by saying ideal when he meant idea!

wrenskibaby

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
One of my seventh-grade English students used tooken instead of taken.  The school was in an area where regional usages and pronunciations abounded.

I grind my teeth when people say weary but mean wary or leery.  And my boss consistently types lead when he means led.

TychaBrahe

• Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
Also... "broughten," as in, "Has he broughten the hot dog rolls?" I've heard that here and there and it drives me bonkers.

"Boughten" was the older form.

I buy.
Yesterday I bought.
I have boughten.

That this form is no longer being used reflects a modernizing of non-standard English verbs.

I also notice that "roll" seems to be taking over for "role". I blame the wag who quipped "Dungeons & Dragons is a roll-playing game."

I have a level 20 pumpernickel mage.

"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

TychaBrahe

• Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
By the way, speaking of these, does anyone know where the new American slang "boo" for one's significant other comes from?  Is it a corruption of "beau?"
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

AngelicGamer

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
I also notice that "roll" seems to be taking over for "role". I blame the wag who quipped "Dungeons & Dragons is a roll-playing game."

I have a level 20 pumpernickel mage.

I've got a level 2 sourdough ranger.  :D

Now to stop choking on my coffee from laughing.

Sebastienne

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
I, too, hate "weary" instead of "wary," and "oogle" for "ogle."  

I do give a pass, a bit, to "nu-cuh-lur," though. I took a literature class in college from a very famous, very highly educated author, who explained that he knew what the proper pronunciation of "nuclear" was, he knew he said it wrong, but for some reason, he physically couldn't pronounce it right. He tried!  The best he could do was something like "nuh-cuh-lee-ur."  I believe him, because while he was very brilliant, he was also rather humorless.  So it could just be a verbal tic...

"Tooken," however, is a different story.

Snooks

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »
Pacific instead of specific or pacifically instead of specifically.

HungryHungryKitties

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
I confess - I am one guilty of many of these things - mispronunciations, word swaps and such.  AND I am from a family who wouldn't hesitate to correct me but it never sticks.  Go Figure.

Fortunately I married a man who butchers the language as much as I do.  Pity our poor DS   ;D
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MakeMineRed

• The best white wine is a bad red.
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
One that drives me crazy is "yous".  Recently a waitress approached the table my husband and I were sitting at and she said, "How are yous?".  It took everything I had not to say "Wes fine thanks".  And may E-hell keep me from saying "My sheep are fine thanks".

Or "I seen it".  BAH!

We often joke about mom and her thought processes.  A number of years ago there was neat flashlight for sale called the "boa constrictor".  It was called that since it had a long, bendable base that would help in seeing into closed in areas.  I suggested to mom that she pick one up for my husband for Christmas.  She gets to the store and starts asking for a "barracuda".  Of course, the salesman is totally confused.  When she describes it, he tells her, "Oh, you mean a boa constrictor".  She agrees saying, "well I knew it was some sort of snake."  Had to explain to her later that a barracuda is a fish.

selkiewoman

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
  I have to say, people leaving out the r in February is one of my pet peeves.  I had a roomie who pronounced afghan 'afaghan.'  And in my state, people often reach maturity and beyond without realizing 'tarantula' and 'trenshler' are the same beastie.

I find it impossible to pronounce 'mythbusters' correctly without several tries.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
When I was growing up, a neighbor lady would be talking to my mom about menstruation and she always called it "mennestration".

My DH does one that drives me bonkers, too, because he misuses the word and I can't right now remember what it is. I'm sure he'll do it again.
I know he says "entitle-minded" instead of "entitlement-minded" but he also uses another malaprop that I can't recall. (My mom used to call words like this "malaprops". I'm not sure if that's actually a word).
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver