Author Topic: Legal discussions  (Read 1778 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Legal discussions
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
I am so confused.  In my prior thread in this folder, addressed to the administrators,  I asked for clarification of what makes something not appropriate for discussion because of legal issues. ( I had been told by a member that I broke this rule by saying that something was illegal where I live).  I asked the administration for clarification of the no legal issues rule. 
A couple of weeks ago I saw that a thread was discussing very specific legal issues.  It was left open.
Now, there is another thread discussing legal issues.  It is still open.
May I get clarification from a moderator or administration about this so that I will understand that rule.
Thank you.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Ticia

• Administrator
Re: Legal discussions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
We can't read every thread, and we jump on the legal ones pretty quick... once we know they exist. If you see something that is inappropriate, please report it so we can see it. Thanks!
Utah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
We can't read every thread, and we jump on the legal ones pretty quick... once we know they exist. If you see something that is inappropriate, please report it so we can see it. Thanks!
Thanks you for responding.  I just didn't think I understood the legal discussion rule, although I really do understand why it is there.  I guess the thing is not to get involved in the threads that seem questionable and let the moderators know so they can deal with them as needed.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LEMon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
The main thing to be careful of is not to give legal or medical advice.  It is ok to suggest someone get legal/medical advice, but never to tell someone to do some legal/medical thing.

Larrabee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
Is it ok to say something like "Well this is legal/illegal where I live" if its relevant to the issue at hand?

I'm thinking of a few threads like the parking on the sidewalk issue where the legality of the subject being discussed could be a factor in whether it can be considered rude or not.  Can it be mentioned without getting into the rights and wrongs of the law?