The Good Things in Life > Random acts of kindness and grace

A restaurant full of children!

(1/4) > >>

Betsy:
Last weekend DH and I decided to try out a new chinese restraunt. Its a buffet and since it was a friday we expected to find it reasonably busy and loud. When we got in we were pleased to discover it was neither busy nor loud, with only about 7 tables filled, and were quite happy with the atmosphere. It was only after about 30 minutes of enjoying our rather plesant dinner that I noticed that not only was there 1 family with smallish children that there were 3 tables all with smallish children, totalling close to 20 kids. None of which were up running around, talking at the top of their lungs or anything else that normally makes me displeased with children.

I was so pleased to be able to get through an entire dinner w/o being inundated with child-noise that I wanted to applaud the parent's parenting, however DH thought it might be rude to point out that their kids werent being rude. So instead I decided to post about it on here to counteract the stories of hellion-children taking over a perfectly nice dinner out.

Bravo for parents who train their kids how to behave properly in public.

Chartreuse:
Amen to that!  Massive props to that family!

I love my sister in law.  She's trained my four year old nephew well.  He's a normal kid, but he knows how to sit down and behave when he's somewhere besides home.  He's quiet at restaurants, doesn't fling food, doesn't run around, is polite, and generally is good about not staring at other patrons.  He's not perfect, but he's a joy to be around when out and about.  It sometimes nearly kills him to sit still, but he'll do it.   ;)

My mom said it best:  kids are trainable.  Well behaved kids always make me smile.  They do get ignored over the little bratlings, but they're not extinct.

stanthedevil:
When children are particularly well behaved, I'll often just stop by the parents on my way out and say, "I'm sorry to interrupt your dinner, but I just wanted to say that you have a lovely family."  Then I move on.  All it takes is a few seconds of my time.  I know that when people did that for my parents when we were younger, it would make their day.

Venus193:

--- Quote from: stanthedevil on December 06, 2006, 12:28:25 PM ---When children are particularly well behaved, I'll often just stop by the parents on my way out and say, "I'm sorry to interrupt your dinner, but I just wanted to say that you have a lovely family."  .

--- End quote ---

I did this once.  One morning in a diner near my post office there was a father with two kids between the ages of 8 and 10 who were very polite and even grammatical.  The boy started a horror story game while they were waiting for their breakfast to be served, and he sort of teased his father (in a good-natured way) about how he always talks to people.  On my way out I complimented the father on his polite and intelligent children and also said to the kids that I hoped they would have as outgoing a nature as their dad.  They all thanked me.  I must have made their day.

Slartibartfast:
I would have probably stopped by one of the all-kid tables to say "I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am at your good restaurant manners!" - but that's probably the children's librarian in me talking  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version