Author Topic: Foodie challange - caviar  (Read 531 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Foodie challange - caviar
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
I am catering a dinner for 12 next month. I have been presented with several tins of good quality salmon caviar which I am expected to use at the dinner. The trouble is that I have planned seven courses and don't want to add canapes to that. I would love to hear any ideas on how I can work salmon caviar into my fish course.

Any ideas?

QueenfaninCA

Re: Foodie challange - caviar
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Get nice little round potatoes. Bake them. Cut of a sliver so that they will sit up on a plate without toppling over. On the opposite size, cut a cross and push open. In the Opening put a bit of sour cream and top with the caviar. Presto, your fish course. Or you could use blinis underneath the sour cream and caviar.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
I would think the easiest way is something like scallops or langoustines with a caviar sauce.
(eg http://www.godine.co.uk/blog/caviar-sauce-recipe). Or salmon, since it's salmon caviar.

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
Have you thought of doing a quenelle with it?   We've tried a version of this one and it rocked:

-- BALLIETSVILLE INN SALMON QUENELLES WITH CREME FRAICHE AND CAVIAR GARNI

1 lb. Norwegian salmon filet (bone and skin removed)

1/2 cup water

2 Tbsps. sweet butter

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup flour

1 egg

3 ozs. sweet butter

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 1/2 tsps. salt

1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Dash of cayenne

4 ozs. fresh Pacific salmon caviar

1 cup sour cream

1 cup heavy cream

1 qt. fish stock to poach

Bunch of parsley and lemon zests for garnish

Make the creme fraiche the day before by mixing sour cream and heavy cream together in a bowl. Cover and let sit overnight or until thick.

Grind salmon in food processor until it is very fine. Reserve. Heat 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons sweet butter until it comes to a boil. Add flour and cook until it forms a ball. Cook slightly. Add to salmon and pulse in processor with 1 egg.

Add butter, nutmeg, salt, mustard and cayenne and pulse until smooth. Push through a fine sieve and roll into oval-shaped pearls. Poach quenelle pearls in simmering fish stock 10 minutes until quenelles are light and floating on top. Keep warm!

Heat creme fraiche in saucepan. Reduce by half and add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle cream on warm plates. Place 3 quenelles on top and garnish with caviar, parsley and lemon zest.

This one isn't really a quenelle, but they're calling it that anyway.  Sounds awesome!
 http://www.yummy.ph/recipe/macadamia-crusted-salmon-with-dill-cream-quenelle-mushroom-puff-and-saffron-potatoes

First recipe:  http://articles.mcall.com/1989-03-08/features/2674041_1_mobil-travel-guide-restaurant-ratings-four-star/6

Edited to add link
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:38:23 PM by Mikayla »

Nora

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:49:31 AM »
Blinis go bad in seconds, I would not reccomend them for a dinner party with many other courses. Too stressful, but maybe that's just me!

You reminded me of the time the planner of the tourist location I worked at wrote down the wrong nr of VIP guests that would be arriving. 52 tourists where coming, the poor guy wrote down 252! There was no way to salvage the surpluss 200 caviar dishes for later use, so every single person at work that day ate (not very good) caviar for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We where urping up salty fishyness for days...

Sadly he discovered his mistake before pouring 252 glasses of bubly.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
Thank you everyone! That's so much help. I love the baked potato idea. I have to google "quenelles". Salmon or scallops seem a good idea. Part of my problem is that I am cheap and smoked salmon is sooo expensive here. The good stuff is 35 per kilo.  :o