Author Topic: Duck Gyoza/Dumplings  (Read 5304 times)

Nibsey

Duck Gyoza/Dumplings
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »
Hi guys,

Do any of you know a recipe for Duck Gyoza. I had some in wagamama and they were delicious. I can find loads of recipes for fillings but not for the actual pastry, everyone just says buy it in an Asian market, except I don't live near one.  :( I'm pretty good at baking so as long as it's not as complicated as puff pastry I think I might be able to make them from scratch with some help from you guys.

Thanks  :)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Duck Gyoza/Dumplings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Do any of you know a recipe for Duck Gyoza. I had some in wagamama and they were delicious. I can find loads of recipes for fillings but not for the actual pastry, everyone just says buy it in an Asian market, except I don't live near one.  :( I'm pretty good at baking so as long as it's not as complicated as puff pastry I think I might be able to make them from scratch with some help from you guys.

Thanks  :)

For your standard gyoza wrappers, it's basically just flour and warm water - there are lots of recipes for rolling and cutting them on the web. If you can find one, it's worth getting a Chinese rolling pin, which is basically about a 2 cm wide dowel and is much easier to manipulate than a big one.  It does take practice to get them rolled thin enough, though.

Nibsey

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
Thanks, I don't know where I'd get a chinese rolling pin but I think my mom might have a pasta one for making Ravioli so I'll give that a try.  :)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
I'd be interested in some of the filling recipes that you have.  I usually make them from pork, but we love duck here.

As far as wrappers are concerned, my local supermarket carries them.  It's worth asking.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Nibsey

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
I'd be interested in some of the filling recipes that you have.  I usually make them from pork, but we love duck here.

As far as wrappers are concerned, my local supermarket carries them.  It's worth asking.

Thanks I'll give that a try, here's the recipe that I thought looked the yummiest.  :)

Ginger Duck Gyoza with Ponzu Plum Sauce

Makes about 50 pieces

Filling:
12 oz. Napa cabbage (about 1/2 of a medium head), chopped very fine
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, divided (cut in half if using table salt)
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 scallions, sliced into fine rings
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine
1 lb. ground duck (chicken or pork can be substituted)

Plum Dipping Sauce:
1 1/2 c. Japanese ponzu sauce
3 Tbsp. neri ume paste (3 Tbsp. extra plum sauce can be substituted)
6 Tbsp. Chinese plum sauce
3 Tbsp. Asian chili oil

Put chopped cabbage in a colander and toss with 1 tsp. Kosher salt.  Set aside for at least 20 minutes to allow for some of the liquid to drain off.
In a large bowl, combine 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, garlic, ginger, scallions, ground pepper, soy sauce, and rice wine.
Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the cabbage and add it to the soy sauce mixture.  Add the duck and mix gently.  Chill until ready to fill the gyoza.
In a small bowl, whisk together the plum dipping sauce ingredients: ponzu sauce, neri ume, and plum sauce.  Add the chili oil last, mixing gently.  The oil will float on top of the sauce.

Éire (Ireland)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

As an aside, Chinese dumplings freeze beautifully. When we make them from scratch, we make extra and get a couple of extra meals out of them.  They don't need to be thawed before cooking.

It took us a long time to find pre-made wrappers. It turns out the grocery stores don't carry them at all, but every traditional market has a dumpling and noodle booth selling freshly made ones - you just have to get there before about 11 am on a weekend.  They also work well for ravioli, and some time I'm going to try to make the deep fried cheese stuffed wonton dessert from my favourite Xiangxi restaurant.

Nibsey

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »

As an aside, Chinese dumplings freeze beautifully. When we make them from scratch, we make extra and get a couple of extra meals out of them.  They don't need to be thawed before cooking.

It took us a long time to find pre-made wrappers. It turns out the grocery stores don't carry them at all, but every traditional market has a dumpling and noodle booth selling freshly made ones - you just have to get there before about 11 am on a weekend.  They also work well for ravioli, and some time I'm going to try to make the deep fried cheese stuffed wonton dessert from my favourite Xiangxi restaurant.

*twitch* Nooooo!!! Don't tempt me with more delicious food I need to taste. lol  :D
That really sounds awesome though. Please let me know how you get on with those.
Éire (Ireland)