Author Topic: Dragging things in from other threads.  (Read 24867 times)

SiotehCat

Dragging things in from other threads.
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Mods, is there a rule about bringing things up in Thread B that were mentioned in Thread A?

I thought I remembered a rule like this, but I cannot find it now. So I am wondering if it ever existed or if I made it up in my head.

Akarui Kibuno

Re: Dragging things in from other threads.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
No idea, but if both threads were made by the same poster or if the same poster posts in both, I do not see why this would be an issue.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
If a poster's background has great influence on the current situation then I am going to consider it and yes, bring it up if I feel the need. If a poster say makes a thread about buying a brand new $500 pair of Louboutins and then makes a thread in INAH crying about how they can't afford rent and soaking up the sympathy, darn skippy I'm going to mention those new shoes.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
I agree with Akarui.  There are some posters here that post over and over about the same/similar issues in multiple threads.  Because its the same topic/issue it gives us a clearer view at the OP's behavior and thought patterns, that can often give us a better view of the situation in order to offer advice, insight and support.

It also is pretty much mandatory for threads that are all about the same exact story--like ongoing issues with a particular person in the poster's life.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
I have no idea, but I can see how it could be a good thing or a bad thing.  

I know in the past there have been posters who consistently post about the same things over and over, or who have a history of withholding key information to get sympathy.  In those cases, I think bringing up past threads is very pertinent.

In other cases, I'm sure it would just be obnoxious.  Sometimes people change details to obscure the identities of the people they're talking about, for instance.  Bringing up inconsistencies like that is kind of annoying, since it's often just a case of forgetting what you named someone, or what their job is.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
I agree with PP's.  This is nothing new, and its never been formally disapproved of before as far as I know, in and of itself.  I'm not personally willing to give posters a completely blank slate every time they post and ignore stuff they've posted about related subjects before.  I don't think that's fair to anyone.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
I have no idea, but I can see how it could be a good thing or a bad thing.  

I know in the past there have been posters who consistently post about the same things over and over, or who have a history of withholding key information to get sympathy.  In those cases, I think bringing up past threads is very pertinent.

In other cases, I'm sure it would just be obnoxious.  Sometimes people change details to obscure the identities of the people they're talking about, for instance.  Bringing up inconsistencies like that is kind of annoying, since it's often just a case of forgetting what you named someone, or what their job is.

What she said.

In some cases links to other stories are very useful. Sometimes the OP leaves out very important stuff. This can be due to trying to slant a story, but it's often because the OP is so involved in their post they forget that we don't know important background.

My favorite was when someone (I forget who) posted about a friend being selfish and someone posted the link to the year or two year old back story and the OP read that and realised that these issues had been going on forever and it gave her a better idea of the big picture and she decided to end the friendship.

gollymolly2

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
The "rule" that I recall (don't remember if it was ever an official rule) was more that we weren't supposed to bring up arguments that posters had made in long past threads, not that we weren't supposed to consider relevant background information that we have about posters.

For example, if I post that I throw my paper towel on the ground inside public bathrooms so I don't have to touch the door handle, and then later in a completely different thread post that it's rude to throw cigarette butts on the ground, someone shouldn't respond "Oh, so you think it's okay to litter all over public bathrooms but somehow cigarette butts are different?"

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
I think there is a rule about it in that if two people disagree in one thread about something, they are not supposed to bring that disagreement into another thread.

That said, I don't think it's wrong to refer to prior threads or link to them as long as this is kept neutral and not done to continue an argument from a prior thread.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
I agree with PP's.  This is nothing new, and its never been formally disapproved of before as far as I know, in and of itself.  I'm not personally willing to give posters a completely blank slate every time they post and ignore stuff they've posted about related subjects before.  I don't think that's fair to anyone.

Agree with this.  We are a community, IMO, and I feel like we owe each other at least a basic level of honesty and consistency.  
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

lipli

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
I think the closest we get to a rule is that really contentious threads cannot be brought in.  I can't think of a good recent example.  But if a poster was pro-no-shoes-in-the-house on a thread and then later created a thread about a party and someone brought in the shoe thread, that would get smacked down.  But if someone consistently posts how they don't like animals and then posts about how XYZ happened at the dog park, people would be justified in asking why was the poster at a dog park.    

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
So if there's a poster who consistently pops up in every thread about Topic X, and let's say it's an etiquette "blind spot" for that person, such that s/he consistently defends rude behavior whenever it lines up with his or her feelings on the topic--it's considered fair to mention that? I've never been quite sure! Sort of a "hey, I've noticed you consistently say XYZ, maybe this is too much of a hot button for you to evaluate the etiquette"? What would be the best wording?

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
No idea, but if both threads were made by the same poster or if the same poster posts in both, I do not see why this would be an issue.

POD

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

gollymolly2

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
So if there's a poster who consistently pops up in every thread about Topic X, and let's say it's an etiquette "blind spot" for that person, such that s/he consistently defends rude behavior whenever it lines up with his or her feelings on the topic--it's considered fair to mention that? I've never been quite sure! Sort of a "hey, I've noticed you consistently say XYZ, maybe this is too much of a hot button for you to evaluate the etiquette"? What would be the best wording?

Personally, I'd be fine with your wording if someone said it to me. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
The "rule" that I recall (don't remember if it was ever an official rule) was more that we weren't supposed to bring up arguments that posters had made in long past threads, not that we weren't supposed to consider relevant background information that we have about posters.

For example, if I post that I throw my paper towel on the ground inside public bathrooms so I don't have to touch the door handle, and then later in a completely different thread post that it's rude to throw cigarette butts on the ground, someone shouldn't respond "Oh, so you think it's okay to litter all over his public bathrooms but somehow cigarette butts are different?"

This might be what I was thinking about. Thank you.