Author Topic: Dragging things in from other threads.  (Read 24783 times)

The Ricker

Re: Dragging things in from other threads.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
To me, the motivation is key.  Bringing up past threads in a measured way to add needed context is fine.  Using past statements to be deliberately provocative and bring someone down isn't.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
Im a tad confused about what is being discussed here, but want to understand... Can anyone dumb the issue down a shade for me?  MUCH appreciated in advance :)
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

SiotehCat

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
Im a tad confused about what is being discussed here, but want to understand... Can anyone dumb the issue down a shade for me?  MUCH appreciated in advance :)

I was thinking of a few scenarios.

Some examples...

SioCat said in one thread that she was a huge Cat activist and would be very loud and vocal at local cat shows. Later on, in another thread, she stated her opinion that it was rude for the sales people at the mall to be aggressive sellers. CatHater brings up SioCats first thread.

That's one scenario...I thought I could come up with more, but this example thing is hard.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »

Situation A: "Oh my gosh, I can't afford to pay rent this month!! What am I going to do? I'm going to lose my home and me and my 8 kids will be homeless!! They won't let me even pay a week late! What do I doooo?"

Do you bring up the fact that in a thread posted 3 days ago, this same poster bragged about the $500 Louboutins that she just bought? Or do you pretend you never saw that prior thread?

Situation B: "My neighbor keeps letting her dog poop in my yard! It's SO RUDE!!!"

Do you bring up the fact that this poster has posted the EXACT same problem 5 times and has received fantastic advice each time that she has chosen not to follow but brings up the problem CONSTANTLY.

Situation C: A poster mentions some bit of news, say that she's pregnant, in EVERY SINGLE post they make.

Do you say "yes, we get it. You've said it 50 times" or do we quietly suffer for 9 months?

Ok, the last one was weak. :P But you get the point. Can we bring up old threads or do we treat each thread as though it's the poster's first post.
 Obviously, I feel old posts are important information.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
The scenarios Shores brought up were the type I was thinking of in regards to bringing up past posts.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

SiotehCat

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
Shores is much better at the example thing then I am. Also, I do not protest at cat shows.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
Well since you put it that way Shores, I POD your post in every way possible.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Im a tad confused about what is being discussed here, but want to understand... Can anyone dumb the issue down a shade for me?  MUCH appreciated in advance :)

Situation A: "Oh my gosh, I can't afford to pay rent this month!! What am I going to do? I'm going to lose my home and me and my 8 kids will be homeless!! They won't let me even pay a week late! What do I doooo?"

Do you bring up the fact that in a thread posted 3 days ago, this same poster bragged about the $500 Louboutins that she just bought? Or do you pretend you never saw that prior thread?

Situation B: "My neighbor keeps letting her dog poop in my yard! It's SO RUDE!!!"

Do you bring up the fact that this poster has posted the EXACT same problem 5 times and has received fantastic advice each time that she has chosen not to follow but brings up the problem CONSTANTLY.

Situation C: A poster mentions some bit of news, say that she's pregnant, in EVERY SINGLE post they make.

Do you say "yes, we get it. You've said it 50 times" or do we quietly suffer for 9 months?

Ok, the last one was weak. :P But you get the point. Can we bring up old threads or do we treat each thread as though it's the poster's first post.

I agree, and I think these are three really good examples.  We don't post in a vacuum, after all.  We've all had experience posting in/investing in threads in which key information was withheld (either deliberately or from an honest desire to keep the OP short).  Missing information or context often does result in a lot of wasted time and energy from posters who are honestly trying to help.

Honestly, I think there is such a huge variety of posters on the board that any thread is going to get a lot of different perspectives.  What would it hurt if some of those perspectives are more rooted in a poster's previous threads than others?  If an OP feels that someone is targeting him or her unfairly, then report by all means, but merely mentioning a previous thread for context is very reasonable, IMO.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
Im a tad confused about what is being discussed here, but want to understand... Can anyone dumb the issue down a shade for me?  MUCH appreciated in advance :)

I agree, and I think these are three really good examples.  We don't post in a vacuum, after all.  We've all had experience posting in/investing in threads in which key information was withheld (either deliberately or from an honest desire to keep the OP short).  Missing information or context often does result in a lot of wasted time and energy from posters who are honestly trying to help.

Honestly, I think there is such a huge variety of posters on the board that any thread is going to get a lot of different perspectives.  What would it hurt if some of those perspectives are more rooted in a poster's previous threads than others?  If an OP feels that someone is targeting him or her unfairly, then report by all means, but merely mentioning a previous thread for context is very reasonable, IMO.

And I think it can be valuable to have both the context-ful and the context-less responses. Sometimes the poster's history is extremely germane, and sometimes a person unfamiliar with the background can be the one who's objective and can say "Well, actually, your MIL isn't actually doing anything wrong." (in a case where usually the MIL is rude but not this time, and the history is coloring everyone's perceptions)

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
I think it depends on how previous information is brought up.  Like robarrow said, if it's just to be argumentative then it shouldn't be mentioned, however if it's going to be helpful to the thread then I can't see the harm.

I think when posting we should remember that, in most cases, the OP has asked a question and so we should try to answer it rather than just stating a fact.  If I may use Shores' excellent examples to illustrate my point:

In SitchA the OP is asking what should they do.  Helpfully bringing up past info would be to say, "Could you take back the shoes you bought last week?", and it would be unhelpful to say, "Well, you shouldn't have bought those shoes last week."

In SitchB the OP is asking the same thing over and over even though they've had it answered.  Helpful would be linking to a couple of the threads and saying, "You were given some good advice in these threads, have they not helped?".  Unhelpful would be saying, "We've answered this question before.  Why are you asking again?"

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I think that bringing in responses from locked threads is frowned upon, but as other posters have said its helpful to bring in information from other threads so that we all get the context and big picture.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »

And I think it can be valuable to have both the context-ful and the context-less responses. Sometimes the poster's history is extremely germane, and sometimes a person unfamiliar with the background can be the one who's objective and can say "Well, actually, your MIL isn't actually doing anything wrong." (in a case where usually the MIL is rude but not this time, and the history is coloring everyone's perceptions)

Very true.  After reading lots and lots of examples of an individual engaging in egregiously rude behavior, sometimes we all become conditioned to seeing him/her as the bad guy, and the context-free response can help get past that gut instinct.  But there are definitely cases where the previous threads become relevant.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
In SitchA the OP is asking what should they do.  Helpfully bringing up past info would be to say, "Could you take back the shoes you bought last week?", and it would be unhelpful to say, "Well, you shouldn't have bought those shoes last week."

In SitchB the OP is asking the same thing over and over even though they've had it answered.  Helpful would be linking to a couple of the threads and saying, "You were given some good advice in these threads, have they not helped?".  Unhelpful would be saying, "We've answered this question before.  Why are you asking again?"

Ooh, really good point. Bringing it up as a part of the solution is one thing, bringing it up just to be snarky is another.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
Thank you for the clarifcation! I do get it now :)  I wonder if I may do this sometimes... See, I know that I personally tend to read under some topics more than others, so could apreciate, like in example C Shores gave, that a poster would state something again within their post that they had stated elsewhere before... Because, you cant really assume that everyone here reads every and all topics and that little fact may seem important, @ least to the person posting, in the context of that thread. However, I do agree with much that is being said here by PPs as well...
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
I answered in the Full Moon thread, but it's more "Don't bring arguments from one thread to another."

Especially if one thread's been closed, bringing it up again will just get the other thread closed.
Utah