Author Topic: Dragging things in from other threads.  (Read 24723 times)

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
Re: Dragging things in from other threads.
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2011, 02:13:08 AM »
Angilamae, sorry. I do my quiz league on Tuesdays here in England.

Allyson, I agree. I think those questions can be asked as long as you're not accusatory about it.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:01 AM »
I don't like when people say things like 'oh, it's so creepy you're keeping track of what I say' or 'why would you bother going back and rereading my threads, you have no life' sort of implications..some people just DO have really good memories, like Perfect Circle, or me for conversations (not so much the written word, but I can tell someone exactly what they said in a conversation a year ago..)

Sometimes it's hard not to keep in mind what someone's said before--we aren't all anonymous, and people do get 'identities' which I think is nice..that I can tell some things about posters. As long as it doesn't get out of hand. It can also be genuine curiosity, ie 'you said X here but Y here, what is the difference?" I've wanted to ask questions like that, but b een afraid I'd come off snarky when I really am just wanting to know!

That's a good point.  There are a couple of posters that just stick in my head for some reason, and they're probably different to who others remember as we're all from a unique perspective. For example, I tend to remember everything <certain poster who shall remain nameless> says, because I think she's awesome and therefore pay more attention.  So we can't assume people all think the same way - if that were the case, there wouldn't be need for this forum in the first place.

In real life I remember conversations very, very well.  I've had people make comments about how weird it is, but to me that's normal - conversations are part of my interactions and stick in my mind.  I'm not putting any special effort into it, those are just the things I focus on and recall easily.  (Sadly, no photographic memory, and appalling recall for the written word - although I read proflically and remember things if I can *picture* them, dry material doesn't give me visualisation value so isn't memorable!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
I once had an ex boy friend complain that he didn't dare lie to me because I always remembered what he told me (and he never could, so he couldn't keep his stories straight).
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
I once had an ex boy friend complain that he didn't dare lie to me because I always remembered what he told me (and he never could, so he couldn't keep his stories straight).
[/quote

I'm the same way--and I can also be uncanny about remembering what year things happened in. Generally by associating events with random other stuff from that time. "Oh, that trip to Florida? That wasn't 1991, it was 1992, because I remember (song) was on the radio all the time and I had that blue shirt."

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
I don't like when people say things like 'oh, it's so creepy you're keeping track of what I say' or 'why would you bother going back and rereading my threads, you have no life' sort of implications..some people just DO have really good memories, like Perfect Circle, or me for conversations (not so much the written word, but I can tell someone exactly what they said in a conversation a year ago..)

Sometimes it's hard not to keep in mind what someone's said before--we aren't all anonymous, and people do get 'identities' which I think is nice..that I can tell some things about posters. As long as it doesn't get out of hand. It can also be genuine curiosity, ie 'you said X here but Y here, what is the difference?" I've wanted to ask questions like that, but b een afraid I'd come off snarky when I really am just wanting to know!

I think it's only natural to respond a bit defensively when someone brings up a post from years ago and confronts you about it.  It's happened to me a few times and I've never gotten a "just curious" sense from it -- much more of a "gotcha!  You didn't ALWAYS believe that!  So clearly I have proven you are wrong and/or a liar!!"

I personally think it's okay if someone's opinion changes.  I'm a different person in 2011 than I was in 2008, and I don't think that makes me incorrect, a liar, or anything else.  Also, each thread is its own specific situation and so my opinion on what someone else sees as the same thing might be totally different because *I* don't see it as the same thing.