Kate or Charlene's Dress?

Kate's
76 (71.7%)
Charlene's
20 (18.9%)
Neither
10 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Princess Charlene's Dress?  (Read 13040 times)

immadz

Re: Princess Charlene's Dress?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
Naomi Campbell's dress for the reception, was IMO, entirely inappropriate.

Thoughts?

Fur in the summer?

I think those were meant to be angel wings...

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
Maybe she's channeling Sesshoumaru?

She has the temper part down already.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LeveeWoman

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
I think he started out in proper attire and yet since he was also performing, it stands to reason that his attire will change.

I was referring to the clothes he was wearing as he got out of his limo and walked into the church.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
I have another O/T question: why is Prince Edward wearing white military regalia?

[...]

I really don't remember any recent event where he wore uniform, especially not white - I didn't even know that there were white uniforms in the British army.

It isn't Army uniform. He's wearing whites of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary - a civilian (though MoD-owned) service which provides logistical support to the Royal Navy. Edward's Commodore-in-Chief of the RFA (it's an honorary rank).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:48:40 AM by Ferrets »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »
I have another O/T question: why is Prince Edward wearing white military regalia? I noticed that most, if not all, of the royal men wore white - but Edward has always been one to prefer regular clothes to uniforms, including at his own wedding, and recently at William's. I really don't remember any recent event where he wore uniform, especially not white - I didn't even know that there were white uniforms in the British army.

Summer formal dress in the British army used to be all white, now it's a white jacket over blue trousers. White uniforms are worn by the British navy in the tropics. /end research geek
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »
I have another O/T question: why is Prince Edward wearing white military regalia? I noticed that most, if not all, of the royal men wore white - but Edward has always been one to prefer regular clothes to uniforms, including at his own wedding, and recently at William's. I really don't remember any recent event where he wore uniform, especially not white - I didn't even know that there were white uniforms in the British army.

Summer formal dress in the British army used to be all white, now it's a white jacket over blue trousers. White uniforms are worn by the British navy in the tropics. /end research geek

summer dress uniforms for the US Navy and the Marine Corps is also white.  white pants, blouse, hat, socks, shoes, and gloves.  i always thought the uniform made them look like the Good Humor Man myself.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
Yesterday the newspaper hoardings along all the main roads had this as the headline: 5-1 Charlene Stays! I think that means people are betting the odds that once she's back home she will refuse to go back to Monaco. Frankly, if I were her, I'd probably want to stay too.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
Yesterday the newspaper hoardings along all the main roads had this as the headline: 5-1 Charlene Stays! I think that means people are betting the odds that once she's back home she will refuse to go back to Monaco. Frankly, if I were her, I'd probably want to stay too.

from everything i've read since this was posted (had NO idea that she had tried to leave  Europe), i would probably stay too!  not too smart of Albert to take her back to South Africa for their honeymoon.  in Europe, he has the "home field advantage" and the power.  in S.A., that power shifts to her side.

Shopaholic

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:51 AM »
I have another O/T question: why is Prince Edward wearing white military regalia?

[...]

I really don't remember any recent event where he wore uniform, especially not white - I didn't even know that there were white uniforms in the British army.

It isn't Army uniform. He's wearing whites of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary - a civilian (though MoD-owned) service which provides logistical support to the Royal Navy. Edward's Commodore-in-Chief of the RFA (it's an honorary rank).

Thank you for clarifying!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »
I liked Kate's better. But Charlene's was pretty as well. Neither was strapless, halter, or otherwise too revealing. Both were very proper.
I have pet mice!

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »

summer dress uniforms for the US Navy and the Marine Corps is also white.  white pants, blouse, hat, socks, shoes, and gloves.  i always thought the uniform made them look like the Good Humor Man myself.
[/quote]

My college  Navy boyfriend had some kind of petroleum based product that took the stains out of the all-white dress uniform. I remember it as more of the High Maintenance Man, as he was in a perpetual bad humor about keeping it perfect.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
I like the cut of Charlene's, but the embroidery was weird:

http://awhitecarousel.com/2011/monaco-royal-wedding-charlene-wittstock-prince-albert/princess-charlene-monaco-wedding-dress/

And I like the thought and symbolism that Kate managed to get into hers. I think that's a really sweet touch that turned it from a dress into a statement.

I also agree that Kate radiated, and Charlene looks uncomfortable if nothing else.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
Naomi's dress looks like an angel costume to me too.

I preferred Kate's dress, but I have never been a fan of form fitting dresses.  I like ball gowns with full skirts.  I do like the portrait style neckline of Charlene's dress though. 

I think both Kate and Charlene had pretty basic dresses though.  Nothing too elaborate or uncommon.  Kate's is a little more ordinary but I still liked it better.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
I infinitely prefer Kate's dress, I find Charlene's a bit ill-fitting and to me the fabric comes off as cheap (even though I'm sure it was very expensive).  It's just not a regal dress, imho.

I also think Kate was a far more beautiful bride--she looked so much happier and comfortable.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

LEMon

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
I have a question about temperature - what temp was it (inside and out) for the different weddings? 

Charlene's dress made me think she might have been worried about the heat.  Something I read noted that it was very hot.