Author Topic: eHell flat Stanley. UPDATE pg7 post 96  (Read 5652 times)

WasabiWithYou

• You have to give in to the champagne sometimes.
Re: eHell flat stanley?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Oh, this sounds like loads of fun! I'm sure I could find something cool to photograph it with! Cound me in. :)

ETA: I would participate in either/both snail mail or print/email versions!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:24:42 PM by WasabiWithYou »

Wavicle

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
I'm not entirely clear on how it works but the snail mail version sounds especially fun! I'm in for either, and would like to see both.

sugar pie

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
I'm not entirely clear on how it works but the snail mail version sounds especially fun! I'm in for either, and would like to see both.

Someone has a little cardboard person (I suggested Emily Post, but there are many possibilities). They take little cardboard person places and take pictures to post here. When they're done, they put little cardboard person in an envelope and sends it to the next person on the list. I really like the idea of each person including a small/very cheap souvenir/trinket for the next recipient, but we can certainly ditch that if the majority isn't on board.

WasabiWithYou

• You have to give in to the champagne sometimes.
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »

Someone has a little cardboard person (I suggested Emily Post, but there are many possibilities). They take little cardboard person places and take pictures to post here. When they're done, they put little cardboard person in an envelope and sends it to the next person on the list. I really like the idea of each person including a small/very cheap souvenir/trinket for the next recipient, but we can certainly ditch that if the majority isn't on board.

All sounds very good to me. Boston/Cambridge-centric trinkets abound Our Fair City (anybody here listen to Car Talk?  ;)) so if we go the souvenir/trinket route, I'd be in.

sugar pie

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
It seems a fair number of people are interested, so let's get started!

First, I think the best way to go is for me to keep a master list of people's addresses. Those who want to do the snail mail version can PM them to me, and when someone receives the flat cardboard person in the mail, I can PM them the next address on the list. Sound reasonable?

Second: Creative people of eHell! Post a pic of the flat cardboard person you design and we'll vote on which is awesomest! We can leave a picture posted here so that people who don't want to do snail mail can print their own. They should be no more than 10 inches tall. What sounds like a good deadline for submitting a design? 1 week from now?  Please post your submissions by Friday, the 15th.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:58:48 PM by madhatter »

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 07:13:59 PM »
It seems a fair number of people are interested, so let's get started!

First, I think the best way to go is for me to keep a master list of people's addresses. Those who want to do the snail mail version can PM them to me, and when someone receives the flat cardboard person in the mail, I can PM them the next address on the list. Sound reasonable?

Second: Creative people of eHell! Post a pic of the flat cardboard person you design and we'll vote on which is awesomest! We can leave a picture posted here so that people who don't want to do snail mail can print their own. They should be no more than 10 inches tall. What sounds like a good deadline for submitting a design? 1 week from now?

Those sound like very fair ideas. If you need a co-admin I hereby step forward. I can even set up a private webpage for the project.

How about next Friday? Leaves the weekend for general set up.
Figure should fit in a large-ish envelope for the snail mail.

PS I like the idea of a journal to travel with the figure or a transmittal of souvenirs.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

Coralreef

Re: eHell flat stanley? UPDATE pg.4
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
Sent you my address.  I have no idea as to what could be sent as a token and I have no artistic talent, but I'll be happy to vote!  :)

[/right

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
well first off tokens should be flatish?  or else the envelope would get too heavy

or just take a pic of the doll with the token and send it here?  or along if you are playing snail mail

token should be representive of your area?

Reality is for people who lack Imagination

sugar pie

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
Yeah, the token should be something small that isn't going to do more than add a few cents to your postage. So no snow globes. :) It should just be something small from your area (I might send a Texas shaped coaster, for example).

Next Friday sounds good for a submission deadline.

One other thought: Once we vote on our traveling mascot, would anyone like me to try and arrange the address list so people receive their envelope from somewhere not quite as local to them? For example, I would make sure that someone in Dallas isn't getting an envelope from Houston. We have a ton of Aussie's and Brits on the board, maybe I could arrange it so our traveling mascot is constantly making transatlantic trips?

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Yes! make the mascot travel far and wide.

Can you tell I've already gotten started on the mascot design? I'm keen.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
I'm thinking the token would be for photo purposes only and wouldn't go in the mail with Stanley. But photographing him with a token/souvenir/tchotchke is only one option for ID'ing where Stanley is. He could always be photographed by the real Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty or Mount Denali or whatever. Or with native fauna, in those places that have distinctive native fauna.

I'm not artistic, so I don't think I could actually make it, but here are some ideas for an E-Hell Flat Stanley:

Miss Manners
The stern-looking woman who is E-Hell's Facebook profile pic
The pretty young lady from the main site's home page (the one at the writing desk)
Lily Tomlin's "Tasteful Lady" from "Laugh-In"

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:05:39 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
I think I would send said token with Stanley so the next person gets a bit of a goodie! A keychain or window sticker would add very little weight to the envelope. Bumper stickers would work too!

sugar pie

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
I think I would send said token with Stanley so the next person gets a bit of a goodie! A keychain or window sticker would add very little weight to the envelope. Bumper stickers would work too!

Yes! All good ideas. I think part of the fun with these things is getting mail from all over (I have a penpal in Azerbaijan. I get giddy every time I get a new letter from her) and it'd be nice to have a little keepsake. Posting the pictures here will just be a fun journal that we can all follow, and people who don't want to do the snail mail can get in on the fun by taking pictures at strange landmarks and stuff.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
Would it be okay to slip a deployed soldier into the mix? I know he would send it on and include photos! I could post them for him.

sugar pie

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »
Would it be okay to slip a deployed soldier into the mix? I know he would send it on and include photos! I could post them for him.

Aw, that'd be lovely.