Author Topic: Threads being marked as read even though not all of it has been read  (Read 1407 times)

CrayonOutlines

On the old forum, when I clicked "New," to read new posts in multi-page Thread1, once I clicked "Next" to go to Thread2, all pages of Thread1 were, essentially, marked as read.  Now, however, if I click on only Page 1 of Thread1, but click "Next" without reading all pages/clicking on the last page, the unread/unclicked on pages make the thread still show up as new. 

This is a pain because, say I'm not interested in the thread after I read the first page and want it to be marked as read.  Whereas before the upgrade, I was simply able to click "Next" and move on, now I have to click on the last page of the thread and then click "Next" in order for it to be marked as read.  Is there any way this can be fixed/made to be like it used to be?

I hope this makes sense! I've put off posting about this because I wasn't sure I'd be able to explain it clearly in writing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Threads being marked as read even though not all of it has been read
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
Conversely, I kind of like the feature.  Maybe I've only got time to read the first page or two of a long thread.  So the next time I come back in, it is queued up to the point I left off.

:)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
I think I agree with Outdoor Girl, both for the reason she gave and because sometimes I might not realize that there's a second (or more) page before clicking to go to the next thread.  This way, I don't miss anything!

I do agree that it can be a pain for some threads, like when I click through the Entertainment folder and skip threads about TV shows I don't watch.  So it can be extra work for me in some cases.

Weighing the two against each other, though, I think I like the feature more than not.  I could see (if it's possible) making it an opt in/out feature so those who like it can keep it and those who don't can get rid of it.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
I didn't know people used this feature.  I gauge what threads to read by the 'unread message list'.   I have always avoided the 'next' feature b/c I don't want to check out every single thread.  Now having it explained, I can see how it is useful to some people, although, I still won't use it.