Author Topic: Homemade cleaning products  (Read 2480 times)

Akka

Homemade cleaning products
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find one. If I missed it somehow, please let me know!

So, do you use your own cleaning products? Do they work? Will you share your recipes? (please?  :-*)

All I know how to make is one part water one part white vinegar and I use it on counter tops.

I want to learn more because of the ecological and financial benefit (and convenience...)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Homemade cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
I hope it's okay if I resurrect this thread? I was going to start a new thread but found this through a search.

For about a year now I've been making my own deodorant. I have terrible luck with store bought stuff, it can't seem to get me through a hot day and I have to shower in the evenings AND mornings. I read about using baking soda and tried that but it stung and felt gritty. Then I read you can mix it with equal parts baby powder and that worked, but I'd feel smelly by bedtime. Finally I tried a ratio of 2 parts baking soda to one part baby powder and I LOVE it!! I've been able to cut back to showering every other day which is much better for my skin and hair. I just wash my underarms in the sink every morning and reapply the powder (I keep it in a small Tupperware container and apply it by scooping out about a teaspoon worth per arm and rubbing it in with my fingers). DH doesn't care for it because it isn't an antiperspirant so it won't reduce sweating, but that isn't an issue for me (and if I do sweat it doesn't cause the powder to wash away!).

I tried the no-poo baking soda alternative for shampoo but unfortunately it made my scalp itchy. Apparently you shouldn't use it more often than every 5 days or so and I couldn't stand it. I loved the apple cider vinegar rinse instead of conditioner and I do that once a week max (1 tbsp acv to 1C water, pour over hair, scrub in a bit, rinse very thoroughly).

I tried the homemade laundry soap found here -
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm
I used it dry, 1 tbsp per load in my HE washer, and loved it for about 6 weeks. Then we realized DH's strange chest and back breakouts started about 2 weeks in and the whites were getting dingy. I still use distilled vinegar as a fabric softener with my sheets and towels.

I made some dishwasher detergent that I'm liking.
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-soap/
At first I had a white residue on the dishes but then I realized I was using way too much of the mixture. They recommend no more than a tablespoon and I was using 2. Now I split the one between the main cup and the open prewash cup and I'm happy with the results. One thing to be aware of is it'll clump pretty badly. We wrapped about 1/4C of uncooked rice in a paper towel, closed it up tight with a rubber band and burried it in the middle of the mix. That helps a lot.

A bunch of my FB friends were raving about a homemade recipe for cleaning sinks and tubs. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to -
http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/2012/03/tub-shower-cleaner-picture-tutorial.html#Fr7YgPgfHq57yh9m.01

Not a homemade solution exactly, but I have rosacea and it has varied from barely noticeable to really bad over the years. Six months ago I read that pure seabuckthorn seed oil helped clear it up so I gave it a try. Wow! My face has never been better! My rosacea is gone (I still use my Rx sulphur cleanser and avoid my triggers, though, to be safe). The oil can be spendy for how tiny the bottle is but I only use 1 drop applied to my cheeks in humid weather and 3 drops for my entire face when my skin is drier so a bottle lasts months.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »
This is more a method than a recipe: you can use the water and vinegar to clean a lot of things-- I like using it for the microwave:

Put 1/2c vinegar + 1/2c water in a bowl and microwave it until it comes to a boil. Take it out, and any dirt on the inside of the microwave should wipe right off with a damp paper towel.

Nika

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
I like using baking soda and white vinegar to clean my sinks. I shake the soda all over the sink, then spritz with the vinegar (I keep vinegar in a spray bottle since I clean with it so often). The foaming reaction is really fun to watch (hey, I'm easily entertained and it makes me more likely to clean!  8)). Then I scrub the sink, spritz once more with vinegar, then rinse with water. Wipe up the water to prevent spots.

It gets the sinks hecka clean and shiny.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
I use diluted vinegar for almost everything. But I also like orange vinegar for heavier duty cleaning. It's a lot stronger and leaves behind a faint orangey scent that's very pleasant. When I get down near the end of a bottle of white vinegar, maybe a 2-3 inches left, I stuff in all of our orange peels over the next few days (we eat a lot of them). Let it sit for a couple of weeks, then put it in a spray bottle or bucket with some water and use like any other cleaning solution. I love using it on my floors.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Yes! Love making my own stuff. My goal is to get rid of all the commercial cleaners in our home as soon as I go through them. I'll probably keep one bottle of 409 around just for the heck of it thoug.

Aside from vinegar, my favorite is Castile soap, which is very versatile. It's slightly pricey upfront, but it's so concentrated that it goes a long way, so it's worth it in my opinion.

Liquid Hand Soap:

1 C. Filtered Water
3 T. Castile Soap
1   tsp. Vegetable Glycerin (optional)
6-10 drops Tea Tree Oil (Disinfecting)
4-6 drops favorite Essential Oil

**Put in a foam soap dispenser and it works awesome. (Can use a regular dispenser too, but I like the foam better)

General Household Cleaner:

1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Liquid Castile Soap
2 C. Hot Water
2 T. White Vinegar
10 Essential Oil

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Fill spray bottle with mixture.
**LOVE this!! I use peppermint, but might switch to orange or lemon next time to change things up

Floor Cleaner

1 C. White Vinegar (For wood, use C.)
1 Gallon Water
10-12 Drops Favorite Essential Oil

Place in bucket or your reusable mop reservoir

Glass/Window Cleaner

The equal parts vinegar/water standby is what I find works best

Toilet Cleaner:

Borax
Follow directions on the box. It's cheap and a verstile cleaner. I also use it in my laundry detergent

Laundry Soap

Equal parts: (I do one cup each)
Borax
Washing Soda
Baking Soda
Oxyclean (if you want)
Grated Ivory Soap (after it's measured I process it to make it fine)

Mix well. Use 1-2 tbl depending on the size of your load. Then vinegar in the softener department. Helps rinse the detergent away

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
I've been trying to convince my husband to go with more homemade cleaning stuff.  However, since he's the one who does the bulk of the cleaning, I can only attempt to convince him, not force the issue. :)

One thing that he has decided works well, though, is mixing a little castile soap with water to clean hard-surface floors.  We had been using a floor cleaner that I think was made by Method, and a microfiber mop.  Basically, squirt the floor cleaner on the floor and mop up, no rinsing required.

So when he tried the castile soap and water method, he was pretty shocked to see just how dirty the water had gotten.  The other method didn't get the mop all that dirty, and nothing got wiped up, so clearly all that dirt was just staying on the floor.  Using castile soap requires the extra step of wiping the floor after you mop it, but the results were definitely superior.

Next, I'm going to try to convince him to try castile soap and water as a counter spray.

One of these days, I'm sure I'll convince him.  As soon as he'll let me buy some supplies and essential oils without griping, he'll see that stuff smells way better and is just as good.

One thing I am curious about, if anyone knows -- where can you get unused plastic spray bottles?  If I'm trying to cut chemicals out of our cleaning regimen, I don't really want to re-use plastic bottles that have had harsh chemicals in them (although if anyone has tips for thoroughly washing them, I'd be game to try).  I can't ever seem to find good spray bottles that are reasonably sized and mist well.

Nika

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
I think I got mine at Walgreens. Also, I am pretty sure a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot would have them. Not positive, but seems likely.

Also it occurs to me that a pet store might have one - useful for all those people that want to train their cats by spraying them with water, right?

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »
I use mostly borax and washing soda for my cleaning products, and I sometimes use the vinegar/baking soda combo. Here are my favorite recipes:

1 bar soap. Whatever kind you want. As long as it's soap, and in a bar, you are golden.
1/2 to 1 cup washing soda. You can buy it in the laundry detergent aisle
1/2 to 1 cup borax. Also found in the detergent aisle.
5-gallon bucket. Yes really. This makes a LOT of detergent.
Hot water.
(You can use more borax/washing soda for a more powerful detergent, or less for a gentler formula. I make it full-strength because my family tends to get clothes really dirty.)

1. Use a cheese grater to grate the bar of laundry soap.

2. Put the grated soap in a saucepan and add enough hot water to cover it.

3. Simmer over medium heat until the soap is melted. Don't boil too hard or you'll have an insane soap bubble mess.

4. Pour dissolved soapy goodness into the bucket. Add borax and washing soda. Stir that together.

5. Put the bucket in your bathtub and fill it up with hot water. Stir vigorously.

6. Keep the bucket easily accessible. Stir occasionally over the next 24 hours. It will look like albino egg drop soup.

7. Transfer some of the soap to an empty laundry detergent bottle. Cover the bucket.

8. When you go to use the soap, shake the bottle a little before pouring it to make sure it's mixed well.

Use the amount you would normally use. I usually use about 2/3 a capful.

You can also use these ingredients to make all-purpose spray cleaner.

1/4 tsp dish soap
1/2 tsp washing soda
1 tsp borax
Hot water

Combine the dish soap, washing soda, and borax in an empty spray bottle. Add hot water to fill. Shake vigorously. Enjoy never buying spray cleaner again. I also use this (minus the dish soap) in my Clorox/Swiffer mop.

For particularly grimy/awful messes, I sprinkle on baking soda, or scrub with a baking soda-and-water paste. Then spritz with vinegar and scrub.

Seriously, I save SO much money using these. In the past two years, I have spent just under $25 for all our laundry soap and cleaning agents, and I'm pretty sure my current stash of supplies will last another year.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:05 AM »
I like using baking soda and white vinegar to clean my sinks. I shake the soda all over the sink, then spritz with the vinegar (I keep vinegar in a spray bottle since I clean with it so often). The foaming reaction is really fun to watch (hey, I'm easily entertained and it makes me more likely to clean!  8)). Then I scrub the sink, spritz once more with vinegar, then rinse with water. Wipe up the water to prevent spots.

That is my very favorite, too.  I made the mistake of buying a black stove  >:( >:( >:( and that darned thing shows every speck, every drop and any dust that might get on it.  I use vinegar (I think I use apple cider vinegar) and baking soda paste.  It's like magic.  Think I will get a bottle of the white to see if that is different. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Nika

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:15 AM »

That is my very favorite, too.  I made the mistake of buying a black stove  >:( >:( >:( and that darned thing shows every speck, every drop and any dust that might get on it.  I use vinegar (I think I use apple cider vinegar) and baking soda paste.  It's like magic.  Think I will get a bottle of the white to see if that is different.

To be fair, I have no idea if white vinegar is better than apple cider. I just use it because it is cheap.

Also: does anyone know if borax is safe to use if you have pets? I keep hearing about it, but I have three cats and expect to have a dog soon, so I need something safe.

CakeBeret

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »
Also: does anyone know if borax is safe to use if you have pets? I keep hearing about it, but I have three cats and expect to have a dog soon, so I need something safe.

I know it's poisonous to ants. Don't know about pets. I have two cats and a toddler, and I've never had any issues. But I don't, like, let them lick it or anything. :P

Cutenoob

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »
I found this website because I was too cheap to buy carpet shampoo:
http://www.survivingthestores.com/homemade-carpet-cleaner-shampoo-recipe-non-toxic-machines.html

It's using stuff you already have - I'm serious. Water, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, soap. I was amazed, i thought it would be much more complicated.

Since I was a kid, we used Comet for bathroom and kitchen/sink stuff. I still use it, it's 99cents for a huge thing and that lasts for year(s). I do use Borax for laundry.

I've also used the baking soda/water paste to get difficult crud off, and that's pretty much it.
I'd like to try the homemade liquid laundry detergent, but I'm having a hard time finding a bar of soap with no perfumes in it. That's my catch - I have to sniff test EVERYTHING before I buy it - I get headaches with too much perfume(s). Walking through the aisle for laundry and detergents and soaps/body stuff has me plugging my nose.

But I use the 50%water 50% vinegar trick to clear up surfaces, and vinegar to help un-stink the microwave.

Oh - spray bottles - dollar store. Shoot, instead of buying one for myself I snagged one from the trash. Someone's old Febreeze bottle just became my garden bug spray.

CakeBeret

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »
Cutenoob, do you have a health food store or organic grocery in your area? They tend to have more specialty soaps, including non-perfumed.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
Does vinegar leave an odor after it's used to clean?  I'm interested in trying these tips, but DH cannot stand the smell of vinegar.  If it dissipates quickly, though, maybe it could work for us.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.