Author Topic: Homemade cleaning products  (Read 2467 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Homemade cleaning products
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
I also use vinegar as a rinse agent in my laundry. Clothes rinse cleaner, and my skin is a lot clearer now.

Does vinegar leave an odor after it's used to clean?  I'm interested in trying these tips, but DH cannot stand the smell of vinegar.  If it dissipates quickly, though, maybe it could work for us.

You can dilute it with water, and it does dissipate quickly, especially if you have a bathroom with a window or something. It hangs around our bathrooms here, but they don't have great ventilation, and I don't dilute the vinegar that much.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Nika

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »
What if you tried adding something like lemon juice to the vinegar? That might help mask the smell for your husband.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Oooh, those are all good ideas.  DH is on board with trying this, but I figured it would be good to check first.  Thank you both!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »
You could also try adding a few drops of essential oil to the vinegar, to make it smell better before it dissipates.

Isometric

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:47 AM »
I find the vinegar smell goes away after an hour or two (or I stop noticing it :P).

I use bi carb soda (baking soda? - I'm pretty sure it's the same) and vinegar whenever I can - a paste made from bi carb and water was the only thing that got rid of tough soap scum on my glass shower screen (I'd spot test first, to make sure it doesn't scratch your glass).

Bi carb followed by vinegar down a drain takes the smell away (I just guess the quanties based on the smell!)

A cotton ball soaked in vinegar placed on a pimple and stuck on with a band aid overnight does wonders! (Ok, not a cleaning tip, but as an adult who still gets pimples, it was exciting to discover)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 04:06:29 AM »
I use bicarb and malt vinegar to clean the sinks. We're in a hard water area and it's one of the few things that really shifts limescale. A little lemon juice on a sponge works well to get rid of smears after cleaning taps or chrome. It also provides a citrus scent to cover the vinegar.

The other thing was an occassional vinegar wash (putting white or spirit vinegar in the washing machine for a wash cycle with no clothes in) which removes smells and mold.

I did find a fairly green way to get rid of aphids on houseplants when you can't use ladybirds: 1 part eco-friendly Fairy Liquid, 1 part mint extract, 10 parts water. Shake up and spray liberally over every area where the aphids are. I settled for drenching the plant - a little goes a long way. After a week, there were no more aphids. Just keep this one away from pets as it makes them sick.

Oh Joy

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
Aside from vinegar, my favorite is Castile soap, which is very versatile. It's slightly pricey upfront, but it's so concentrated that it goes a long way, so it's worth it in my opinion.

Liquid Hand Soap:

1 C. Filtered Water
3 T. Castile Soap
1 ½  tsp. Vegetable Glycerin (optional)
6-10 drops Tea Tree Oil (Disinfecting)
4-6 drops favorite Essential Oil

**Put in a foam soap dispenser and it works awesome. (Can use a regular dispenser too, but I like the foam better)

megswsu and I may be lost-lost sisters.  Vinegar, a bottle of liquid castile, glycerine, and an alcohol or tea tree oil can provide the base for cleaning just about anything...especially if you have a few favorite essential oils around.

My faaaaavorite hand soap is similar to this, just different proportions, and I use vodka instead of tea tree oil in my recipes (I've been constantly pregnant or nursing the past three+ years, so my Three Olives is going to waste).  I bought a dozen of these http://www.forsoapmakers.com/large-foam-pump-bottle-clear.html dispensers and have been quote happy with them.

My two other favorite tips:

Dishwasher Detergent
2 parts Borax
2 parts washing soda
1 part LemiShine or CitriShine
1 part Kosher salt

Use one tablespoon per load

General Scouring
Not exactly a recipe, but I keep a large salt shaker filled with baking soda (and some unpopped popcorn to prevent clumping) next to the sink for easy scrubbing of the sink and dishes or freshening of the drain.

Thanks for the tips from everyone - looking forward to reading more!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
You can also infuse flowers (rose, violets, etc) or herbs (I love rosemary) in vinegar for a nice smell, instead of using essential oils. They look very pretty and you can just use what you have in your garden. I prepare a lot of rosemary vinegar when I prune the bush.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

Dishwasher Detergent
2 parts Borax
2 parts washing soda
1 part Kosher salt

That's the recipe I use. Do you have any tips for preventing it from turning into one big chunk? Currently I'm putting a paper towel full of dry rice in with the mix, keeping it in an airtight container, shaking it every couple of hours for the first few days, then dumping it into a blender and grinding it back into a powder before placing it back in the tupperware with the paper towel/rice gizmo. It's better than nothing, but still gets chunky.

Oh Joy

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »

Dishwasher Detergent
2 parts Borax
2 parts washing soda
1 part Kosher salt

That's the recipe I use. Do you have any tips for preventing it from turning into one big chunk? Currently I'm putting a paper towel full of dry rice in with the mix, keeping it in an airtight container, shaking it every couple of hours for the first few days, then dumping it into a blender and grinding it back into a powder before placing it back in the tupperware with the paper towel/rice gizmo. It's better than nothing, but still gets chunky.

Mine gets a bit chunky, but not too bad.  I do keep a reused silica packet in there, along with the scoop, and give it a good shake or two before I use it each time.  Not sure which of those techniques actually helps, though!  Your method seems similar, except maybe shaking it each time with a hard object (the scoop) in it to prevent the chunks from getting bigger?

Bookgirl

• Read The Hunger Games. Trust me.
    • Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
I saw a pin on Pinterest for making your own carpet refresher powder using baking soda so I'm going to give that a try this weekend.  Someone in the comments suggested using Borax to help with fleas but after a bit of googling, I'm not sure it's a good idea cause it can be toxic to cats. 

Anyone have any natural suggestions for flea control?  We don't have a problem, per se, I just see one or two on Smokey occasionally.  He's all indoors, all the time so I'm assuming that a few stray ones must come in on our clothes.  I've not noticed them in the carpet or anywhere else and I'd like to keep it that way. 
RIP to my blog

I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Up for Iris

Waterlight

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »

General Household Cleaner:

1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Liquid Castile Soap
2 C. Hot Water
2 T. White Vinegar
10 Essential Oil

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Fill spray bottle with mixture.
**LOVE this!! I use peppermint, but might switch to orange or lemon next time to change things up

I use a variation of the same recipe that substitutes borax for the baking soda.  And for fragrance I just use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap for the castile soap.

Glass/Window Cleaner

The equal parts vinegar/water standby is what I find works best

I use (of all things) club soda!

Toilet Cleaner:

Borax
Follow directions on the box. It's cheap and a verstile cleaner.

Love this--it's so simple!  I sprinkle about 1/4 cup of borax into the toilet and leave it overnight... then all I have to do is a quick scrub with a toilet brush and I'm done.  I often add a few drops of tea tree oil to it too.

I got a lot of my recipes from a great book by Karen Logan called Clean House, Clean Planet.  Here's a recipe for a great soft-scrub cleaner from the book: 

Earth Scrub

Mix 1 2/3 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup liquid soap in a bowl.  Dilute with 1/2 cup water.  Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar last.  Stir until the lumps are gone.  If you can pour it into the container (squirt bottle or jar) easily, you have the right consistency.  If it's too thick, add more water.  Keep the cap or lid on, because this mixture will dry out. Shake well before using.  (This makes about 16 ounces.)
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
Make your own homemade Oxyclean by combing equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
I found a capiz shell (glass oyster shell) hanging pendant lamp shade hanging in the attic of our garage yesterday.  We bought the house the end of June 2005, so it has been up there at least that long (house sold when wife of previous owner died and he went to live elsewhere).  It could have been up there for a lot longer, based on the dust & crud.

Sea shells are layers of calcium - so I am reluctant to use vinegar, as it might damage the shells.

But until it is clean - I can't decide what to do with it.

Any ideas or suggestions?  It's made of wire rounds, shells, and clear monofilament thread for the hanging part - plus metal "crowns" inset with shell triangles at the top where the light bulb would be when it was used as a hanging light shade.  I can't tell if there is any glue or not (holding the shell triangles in place).  There is some kind of "stuff" stuck in places that I am going to assume is some kind of egg "foam" for bugs - it is hanging in the garage instead of the attic at the moment, while I track down how to clean it without ruining it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:41:06 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?