Author Topic: S/O You Know You're Not a Foodie When...  (Read 2032 times)

portiafimbriata

• a.k.a. Mrs. Hexbane
  • I have an extradition treaty with all spiders
Re: S/O You Know You're Not a Foodie When...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
Over time (and with patience) I've become a decent cook and DH is an excellent cook; however:

-Before we were married, and shortly after we got our first place together, he contracted a nasty flu. All he wanted to do was sleep and drink tea, and have his girlfriend make him a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Note to self: if you do not want your sick boyfriend to violently retch in the bathroom anymore than necessary, do no make his grilled cheese sandwich with cheddar, fontinella, and bleu cheese. Flu season is no time to be a suck gourmand.

-When DH made my birthday dinner that year, he forgot to put the lid on the blender for the cannellini puree. Presently, he looked at me with white bean puree dripping from his glasses and said, "this is going to hell in a handbasket."
The old man had all his own teeth, but only because no-one else could possibly have wanted them.
-Good Omens

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
You know that you're not a foodie when...Lean Cuisine BBQ chicken pizzas seem really, really delicious to you!

They are a gift from the diet gods, I tell you, a gift! A marvelous gift!

I ate one every day for lunch when I was on Weight Watchers. And sometimes when I wasn't, just because I liked them!

~~~

I went through 3 glass casserole dishes in one year the first year I was married. Started out with one, smashed it to bits because I set it on the stove but had forgot to turn the burner off. Mom heard the story and felt awful, so she presented me with a brand new one. That one was in the car the night we totaled it. I still have the third one, so far so good.

Yesterday, my husband responded to an invitation to a birthday potluck (mildly annoyed by that, especially when we fully hosted DH's birthday party just this past Friday! And the birthday boy is his brother, who was there on Friday, and nobody in his family has ever had a potluck meal. EVER.) and promised cheese biscuits. I may have responded in a mildly annoyed fashion and demanded that he either take that back, or make them his own darn self. So he decided to make them himself. The recipe is online, and very simple. With the exception of the time I forgot the baking powder, they come out perfectly every time. Somehow, following all the instructions, and my modifications to baking time, his were pale and somewhat gummy, and falling while they cooled. I told him I was *not* taking credit for those!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
I love to make things from scratch but there are some things that are simply not worth the effort.

I decided to make spanakopita from scratch one night.

2.5 hours later I had a delicious pan full of spinach pie but a dreadfully messy kitchen and it's not like the ingredients were inexpensive.

I've since discovered Trader Joes sells it premade for less than what the feta cheese cost me.  I think I'll just buy it that way from now on.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
Then the steak. I'm also pretty sure I over-cooked that, too, because steak is probably not supposed to curl up so much at the edges that it looks like a little cup. Into which I helpfully loaded the burnt scrambled eggs.

DH ate instant oatmeal instead.

That image will stay with me forever.  ;D
The status is not quo!

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
Back when I was a poor college student on food stamps, I found a recipe for a Mexican layered casserole that sounded fabulous. The sauce called for, among other things, two tablespoons of  ground cumin.

After it had been in the oven for a while, it began to smell most peculiar.

I went to tidy the kitchen. As I put the spices away, I discovered I had made an error: instead of cumin, I had used... cloves.    :P

Remember what I said about food stamps? That was my dinner for the week. I had to eat it anyway. It tasted interesting, to say the least.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Although she was brought up on German and Irish cooking, my mother prided herself on making ethnic foods from recipes given her by neighbors.  In a way, she could, but not quite.

Harriet Balough gave her a recipe for Hungarian Goulash.

Maria Hernandez gave her a recipe for Ropa Vieja.

Gertie Angenoli gave her a recipe for a wonderful pasta sauce. 

The problem was that all these recipes required garlic and my mother was not acquainted with this exotic substance.  When the recipe asked for 'X cloves of garlic', Mother would see the 'cloves' but not the 'garlic'.  As a result, all these wonderful dishes were garlic-free but heavily laden with cloves.