Author Topic: Octomom vs. Kristen Johnston: who was ruder?  (Read 11642 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Octomom vs. Kristen Johnston: who was ruder?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
She vehemently denied saying that.  I do believe that was 'quoted' in a rag style magazine. 

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
She vehemently denied saying that.  I do believe that was 'quoted' in a rag style magazine.

True. The interview was in In Touch magazine, which has gotten in trouble for making things up before, and she denied the interview on the Today show.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
Oh, okay.  That's a relief.  I'd wonder about someone who had 14 kids and thought they would want MORE!  I have a hard time imagining how my grandmother did it and she only had 7. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hollasa

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
I cannot imagine that she'd be on the plane by herself with 8 two year olds, even with one 10 year old to help. Don't airlines usually have guidelines over how many children one can book on a flight per adult?

evely28

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
In addition to the eight 2 year olds, she traveled with her other 6 kids who are aged 4 to 9. I think some of the older kids have special needs. I can't believe the airlines allowed so many young children with only 2 or 3 adults. Circus indeed.

mlkind1789

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
Without knowing exactly what Kristen Johnston said, I have to go with Nadya Suleman being the rude one here.

What struck me in the story I read (I think it was on E!Online) was that the third rock lady came out of first class and into business class to ask octomom to get her kids quietened down. So she was exactly sitting close to the family.

Just because she wasn't sitting close to them doesn't mean they weren't a bother.  I can fully imagine eight two-year olds who are out of control and not being minded very well being loud enough to cause a commotion that would be heard and be bothersome that far away.  As long as she was polite in her asking and, to be honest, we don't know that she wasn't, I don't see where Kristen Johnston was out of line.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
I have no idea who Kristen Johnston is but I think they were equal in terms of how rude they were.

Ed. ETA: Oh yeah, Kristen Johnston was on Third Rock From The Sun, I'd forgot about that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:46:48 PM by Master_Edward »

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
I admit to being biased, but my vote is that Octo-Mom was the rude one.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:30 AM »
If you've seen the Today clip, the chance that the kids were "sitting quietly and not being a bother" were pretty slim.

Pesonsally, I think that it's unfair to fellow passengers and the kids themselves to put them in that position. On the Today show she mentions casually that "they've only had two hours sleep". Poor little mites.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
I don't find Kristen Johnston rude at all. She's within her rights to ask that Sulemon actually keep her kids under some semblance of control, and Sulemon's responses were ridiculous.

According to this article she had 2 of her older kids (who really aren't that much older!) and a friend helping. That's still not enough, especially if someone has to come back from 1st class to business class because of the ruckus.
The status is not quo!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »
The flight was delayed 2 hours (one report said it was because of Nadya & her kids, but I only found 1 that said that).  Kristen ended up getting off the flight - which is what I would've done too if I had that option.  There is no way I would want to be on a plane with her & her kids if she was the only one in "control"...  What a nightmare for all the other passengers.  Nadya is off her rocker if she thinks that becoming irritated by a large group of crying kids = not liking kids...  I don't think I can find 1 person who likes the sound of crying kids - certainly doesn't mean they all hate kids.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »
I was doing laundry last night, and there was a woman with a child of that age doing her own. The child wasn't happy, and wailed the entire time I was putting clothes in the machine.

Now, multiply that by eight. On a plane. On a transcontinental flight.

I'd be prying open a window and parachuting out, by the time I was over the midwest.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

CakeBeret

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
I was doing laundry last night, and there was a woman with a child of that age doing her own. The child wasn't happy, and wailed the entire time I was putting clothes in the machine.

Now, multiply that by eight. On a plane. On a transcontinental flight.

I'd be prying open a window and parachuting out, by the time I was over the midwest.

Amen to that.

I can't even imagine what that flight would be like.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
I can't really weigh in without my opinion of Nadia Suleman clouding the issue. I think that when you willingly go to great lengths to have multiples when you already have six children, it shouldn't be up to an airplane full of people to just deal with it if you can't control your eight two-year-olds. It has nothing to do with me being familiar with the difficulties of calming children on an airplane, believe me.

I have no idea what she was thinking, maybe that the fame and the book deals would bring in all kinds of money, and she could bask in the glow of her cute little children and all the attention. Who knows? I can't even imagine the despair she must feel now that she realizes she's no longer the huge media sensation, and she's now saddled with fourteen kids, eight of whom are at an extremely needy age. I pity her, but mostly I'm just disgusted by her. Those poor children. I hope they grow up to have some semblance of a normal life. But all the pity in the world doesn't make it okay for her to take over an airplane and get snotty when someone else expresses dismay over their behavior.

Me too. 

Dysfunction breeding dysfunction.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
I like kids and find toddlers charming...when they're not screaming their heads off.   Since mine are 18 mos apart, there was a time I did have two screaming kids under the age of 3 at the same time and there were days I wanted to scream and cry.  Okay so sometimes I did cry. 

Can't imagine having 8 kids the same age...oy.

But the "Guess some people don't like kids?"  No, honey, most people don't like being in a small confined place with that many unruly kids, especially when you figure in that some people are made anxious enough by flying, and kids screaming and crying wouldn't help. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata