Author Topic: Octomom vs. Kristen Johnston: who was ruder?  (Read 12325 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Octomom vs. Kristen Johnston: who was ruder?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I also think the airline should hold some responsibility here...

They won't let you fly if you aren't dressed properly, they won't let you fly with your luggage incorrectly sized, they won't let you fly with your nail clippers, they won't let you carry your own liquor... etc. 

They shouldn't let you fly with more than two children under the age of five (or something along those guidelines).

And if I started to get on a cross country flight and saw a group of children I could tell were not going to be well managed - I would scream holy hades at the airline before I boarded and I would ask to change flights (and I love children and have some of my own).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »
I'm with Ms. Johnson- I'd have bailed too. That sounds like insanity.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
They won't let you fly if you aren't dressed properly

They won't? When did that start? My last flight, a couple years back, I saw people in cut-off shorts, flip-flops, and holey t-shirts.
Words mean things.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »

They won't? When did that start? My last flight, a couple years back, I saw people in cut-off shorts, flip-flops, and holey t-shirts.

There was a story a while back about someone who wasn't allowed to fly because her clothing was very revealing.
The status is not quo!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »
Applauding the airline that opted for common sense and decency, I am.
Words mean things.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
I consider the octomom one of the most selfish human beings on the planet, so I am already leaning towards her being rudest, but I also think that it depends on the wording whether the actress was honestly just trying to make a request or if she was picking a fight. 

What precautions/warnings would you give if you were the airline? Would you warn passangers ahead of time that there was an unusual amount of toddlers on the flight? Would you tell Octomom that she has to have a greater number of assistants?
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

immadz

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
I consider the octomom one of the most selfish human beings on the planet, so I am already leaning towards her being rudest, but I also think that it depends on the wording whether the actress was honestly just trying to make a request or if she was picking a fight. 

What precautions/warnings would you give if you were the airline? Would you warn passangers ahead of time that there was an unusual amount of toddlers on the flight? Would you tell Octomom that she has to have a greater number of assistants?

Even if every other person on the flight is a toddler as long as they have enough number of adults keeping them amused and under control one should be okay. If your flight suddenly becomes a trip with "unsupervised babies go to summer camp" then yes you should be warned.

" Dear passenger, it has come to our attention that your flight will have 8 toddlers traveling alone. Since it goes beyond our liability agreements and our employees terms of contract, our flight attendants will not be helping supervise these children. Please expect a loud, fairly uncomfortable flight. If you wish to re-book, our gate agents will be happy to help you"

I would have re-booked.

Hillia

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »

There was a story a while back about someone who wasn't allowed to fly because her clothing was very revealing.

And I think a more recent incident where a young man was refused boarding because his pants were sagging too low

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
Even if every other person on the flight is a toddler as long as they have enough number of adults keeping them amused and under control one should be okay. If your flight suddenly becomes a trip with "unsupervised babies go to summer camp" then yes you should be warned.

I'm just waiting for this movie to be made. You know someone, somewhere is thinking it.  ;D
The status is not quo!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
Really, I think that airlines should have some defined adult/child ratio (and no, a 10 year old sister should not be classed as an adult). What if there was turbulence, and the toddlers panicked? Who would make sure they stayed belted in? What if, heaven forbid, they had to evacuate the plane? It's hard enough for adults to do that unencumbered. No way someone could take more than two toddlers with them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
What if the oxygen masks dropped? *shudder* Now I'm actually scared for the kids just thinking about it.
The status is not quo!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
That's a good point. If there was an emergency, were there enough adults close enough to each child to make sure they could either put their oxygen masks on or pick them up and carry them? Hmm...
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
Just the diaper changes for eight toddlers on a long flight boggle my mind.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
And I think a more recent incident where a young man was refused boarding because his pants were sagging too low

This rule is definitely not equally applied. Behold: the male lingerie flier

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
Yes, there have been a couple of recent reports where flyers were denied boarding or asked to redress or leave the flight. 

I was recently on a flight where the attendant refused to serve an alcoholic beverage to a flyer - she offered a complimentary beverage but said the patron had been too beligerent to be served alcohol.

Airlines have LOTS of power and this is one case where it should have been used.