Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Using the stall for disabled people

<< < (18/18)

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: Bottlecaps on June 16, 2012, 03:34:22 AM ---I did this the other day at a restaurant, and felt terrible about it because the minute I went to shut the door, a couple of elderly ladies walked in. :-/ I didn't even truly realize it until I was already sitting on the toilet and then I realized what a possible faux pas I had just committed.

--- End quote ---

Were they in wheelchairs?  Elderly does not equal handicapped....

No faux pas.  In public bathrooms, generally speaking, first come, first served.

Luci45:
If it's been a long day and I'm tired, I can't get up off the seat without having something to pull on. Sometimes the paper holder and feminine hygine disposal aren't sturdy enough to use for that purpose, so I just about have to use the handicapped stall. The funny thing is that if I happen to have my cane with me, I can use it to get up and don't need the special stall, so when I am seemingly in need of the stall is when I don't really need it.  It looks odd to other people, I'm sure.

VorFemme:
Really bad toilet design in restaurant - someone RAISED the toilet paper dispenser and the little trash holder (for "feminine" supplies) to hip level and put them directly opposite each each other on the walls of the cubicle.  I got the idea that some guy without hips installed them............

I had to turn sideways to get my hips through the gap.  Getting off the toilet, I had to start doing the twist again as they were JUST barely in front of the toilet seat.  Might have been handy for getting to the toilet tissue and the trash holder - but lousy positioning for women - if you had a shoulder strap on your purse - it would snag on one or the other of the things coming & going.

Worst positioning other than on the outside of the door that I have ever seen, heard, or read of.  And the outside of the door was for a purse & coat hanging hook - not toilet tissue!

Luci45:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 16, 2012, 11:05:59 AM ---Really bad toilet design in restaurant - someone RAISED the toilet paper dispenser and the little trash holder (for "feminine" supplies) to hip level and put them directly opposite each each other on the walls of the cubicle.  I got the idea that some guy without hips installed them............

I had to turn sideways to get my hips through the gap.  Getting off the toilet, I had to start doing the twist again as they were JUST barely in front of the toilet seat.  Might have been handy for getting to the toilet tissue and the trash holder - but lousy positioning for women - if you had a shoulder strap on your purse - it would snag on one or the other of the things coming & going.

Worst positioning other than on the outside of the door that I have ever seen, heard, or read of.  And the outside of the door was for a purse & coat hanging hook - not toilet tissue!

--- End quote ---

Ouch!

I've always been told never to hang my purse on the coathook on the door because people reach over the door to steal them. That's another reason to use the handicapped stall - they are so large it is easier to find a safe, clean place for coat and purse.

Bottlecaps:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on June 16, 2012, 08:40:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bottlecaps on June 16, 2012, 03:34:22 AM ---I did this the other day at a restaurant, and felt terrible about it because the minute I went to shut the door, a couple of elderly ladies walked in. :-/ I didn't even truly realize it until I was already sitting on the toilet and then I realized what a possible faux pas I had just committed.

--- End quote ---

Were they in wheelchairs?  Elderly does not equal handicapped....

No faux pas.  In public bathrooms, generally speaking, first come, first served.

--- End quote ---

This is true. They were walking, but I still felt like such a d-bag (excuse my language) so it's good to hear that what I did wasn't a total faux pas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version