Author Topic: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball  (Read 9332 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
I gotta say that took guts. I love a guy who has the guts to just ask.

Way to go Mila! Do it for our country!

Sings: Yeeeeah, let's do it for our Country.
The red white and the blue.
It's Uncle Sam who's asking,
so your mother will approve.
Tomorrow I'll be fighting,
and I'll win this war for you.
Let's do it for our country,
our country wants us to

That song popped into my head as soon as you said "Do it for our country."  ;D

I've always thought she seemed like she'd be a fun person. I think this is pretty cool.

That's too funny, I was singing it, too!  I can see them in the bunker now!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

ChiGirl

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
I knew this thread reminded me of something...

Pauline Kael (later became a famous movie critic) was in her early twenties (not famous yet) during WWII.  She had soldiers in uniform following her down the street, trying to guilt her into going out with them by saying things like "I'm giving my life to protect you." **

**source: The Good War, by Studs Terkel.  It's a really great oral history of WWII.

I do feel kind of sorry for Mila.  It's kind of like a guy proposing to his girlfriend by posting it on the scoreboard during the Super Bowl -- the public nature of the question really pressurizes the answer. 

Although, since the Marine in question here was doing it on a bet, I'm guessing he didn't think it would ever get to the point of her feeling "pressured."  When anyone does something like this in the future, though...

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »
I'm offended as an American that a date would be seen as something a person does for their nation, as a sign or patriotism.  Do it for our nation?  Not the nation I'm patriotic to - I want no part of a country where such a request would be tied to nation.  Its a repulsive idea to me - to invoke nationalism as a reason someone should socialize, especially in anyway that could be considered related to romance and sex, which is what a "date" to a dance is.  I would equate forcing, or even just pressuring, young women into such positions something seen in an evil dictatorship not in a democratic republic. 

If Mila - or Justin, or Betty white or Scarlett - wants to accept a date or attend a function like a military (or any other type of) ball they are invited to, great.  But it should in no way shape or form be even hinted at that their patriotism is even remotely at stake when considering attending or not.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »
I'm offended as an American that a date would be seen as something a person does for their nation, as a sign or patriotism.  Do it for our nation?  Not the nation I'm patriotic to - I want no part of a country where such a request would be tied to nation.  Its a repulsive idea to me - to invoke nationalism as a reason someone should socialize, especially in anyway that could be considered related to romance and sex, which is what a "date" to a dance is.  I would equate forcing, or even just pressuring, young women into such positions something seen in an evil dictatorship not in a democratic republic. 

If Mila - or Justin, or Betty white or Scarlett - wants to accept a date or attend a function like a military (or any other type of) ball they are invited to, great.  But it should in no way shape or form be even hinted at that their patriotism is even remotely at stake when considering attending or not.

That's what bothered me about this- Mila was being accused of all sorts of things for the serious crime of not wanting to go on a date with a total stranger who'd asked via Youtube because of a bet. That's not unpatriotic, it's sensible!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/mila-kunis-keeps-promise-marines-date-152327749.html

She went to the ball with him.  I don't know if it was more of a PR move for her or if she's genuinely a sweetheart, but I'm hoping for the second one.  :)

beakiebean

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
I gotta say in general I don't think the whole "she wouldn't decline without a good reason" is simply a young man who isn't used to giving out public statements trying to be gracious and tactful and he just fumbled it a bit. I have plenty of "well that didn't come out quite like a meant" moments in my daily life-I can't imagine trying to speak knowing the whole world could be reading/hearing what I said.